“Rainy Night in Rain town!”
Review of Belgrave Hotel

Belgrave Hotel
Ranked #90 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 28 December 2013

This is an inexpensive small Georgian Guest House with a friendly host. At the price I can have few complaints. Its situated in the fashionable Great Western Road in the west end of Glasgow.
Its near most attractions with good transport links into the city center.
The room I had although small was warm and comfortable with all the facilities you would expect.
The bathroom, had it been finished to the same quality as the materials and design could easily have graced an establishment costing many multiples;it was a bit rough around the edges: 'Roger the Bodgers' handywork.? But again for the price was perfectly acceptable as it was very clean and did what it was meant to do. Powerful warm shower.
Breakfast was a buffet affair and was very enjoyable.
Only minus for me was the lack of facilities to accept credit/debit cards, but maybe that was a temporary situation. Best to check if you intend to pay by this method.

Very good budget hotel loved it!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Robbie G
Susan R, General Manager at Belgrave Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2014

Hi Robbie,
Thank you for leaving such positive comments about the Belgrave.
We have recently refurbished our rooms but are pleased to say we have managed to retain most of our original features maintaining the comfortable and traditional decor of the building.
I am sorry to hear you did not have the option to pay by credit card at the end of your stay. We do offer this service and on checking the dates I can confirm that we were upgrading our telephone and free wifi system at the time of your stay and this placed some restrictions on our card terminal.
We look forward to seeing you again next time you are in Glasgow and can guarantee full service has been resumed and our card terminal is fully operational.
Kind Regards

Reviewed 20 August 2013

One of the nicest things about this hotel is the host - Margaret. A very friendly, helpful and informative person. Stayed there for just over a week and the room was comfortable enough for my needs. Great choice for breakfast. Located near the main road but not directly on it i felt safe .Excellent transport links.
However the hotel does need some structural maintenance and updating. Other than that I had a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank liketravelling07
Reviewed 30 June 2013

checked into this hotel on sat 29th of june 2013, when we eventually found this back street hotel we were given a room in the basement what was like a cellar on entering the room there was only one curtain on the window which had cobwebs and a spider hanging from it the curtain looked as if it hadnt been taken down in years.the carpet was filthy and well worn years old by the look of it, i found hairs on my bed which werent mine,i walked into the bathroom and there were 2 spiders dangling from the ceiling my wife about had a heart attack as she is terrified of spiders lady on the desk apologised to us and said she hadnt saw them when she cleaned the room we did a hasty retreat from the hotel as it was awful stay away from this hotel

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank bigdavie67
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Margaret was a fantastic host very keen to help and even carried our bags.
Saved my life with a phone charger too. Lost our keys but that was not a problem. Found them and returned later!
Rooms were clean and bed comfy.
Breakfast was good.
We would recommend this hotel .

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 February 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for one night and found it was clean but dated and everything was in a poor state even the towels were falling apart. If you have big bags, you won't like this place, it has alot of steps just to get to the front door, and no lift inside. The room was a booked as single for £30 but it had two singles, the en-suite was ok but had a few broken tiles. But it was clean the beds were not comfy. I would stay again but this is a similar price to the Amadeus which is a lot nicer,

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Drewxoxoxo
Reviewed 8 January 2013

What made my short stay at The Belgrave was the kind lady who worked there who allocated me a quiet room, as requested. The room was large and well heated, with a large tv and ensuite facilities. The breakfast was buffet style, fresh and tasty with good coffee too. All in all I enjoyed my stay and hope to return there.

Room Tip: Try a room on the top floor at the back of the buillding to avoid traffice noise.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank jimgordon88
Reviewed 14 November 2012

Stayed here for one night as we were having a night out in the west end and the Hilton along the road was full. It is many years since I've stayed in an old school b and b. The room was fairly small,and although clean,could certainly have done with a lick of paint. The shower cubicle was obviously built in to an alcove as an afterthought. I'm not that tall and I had to duck to get myself in there! The staff we met were friendly. The walls are pretty thin between the rooms so you will hear everything from the adjoining rooms.
The price was good,only £50 for the night and the location is ideal for the west end. Only two minutes walk along great western road to the oran mor at the top of byres road. And about five minutes walk to ashton lane. Kelvinbridge Subway is only two minutes walk away for access to the rest of the city.
Overall,okay for the price. Our normal port of call would be the Hilton Grosvenor along the road,but we'll keep this place in reserve if they happen to be full again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple