“Cheap and basic”

Ranked #92 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Cheshire
“Cheap and basic”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Located just off the Great Western Road, small hidden car park which is difficult to access in a big car. Staff were friendly and helpful. Our ground floor twin room was clean but furnished in a basic manner. The bathroom was in dire need of a refit with bare cement around the sink, cracked tiles, wonky shower door with ill-fitting seals and non-draining shower tray. Breakfast was at a set time(8:30am) and as we had to leave before this we didn't get to sample it. The local area seems fairly affluent with a great range of independent shops and then more luxury chains as you head towards the city centre. However we are unlikely to stay here again.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Edinburgh
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Warning to everyone who thinks about staying at the Belgrave House Hotel Glasgow, don't book up, it's an absolute disgrace of a hotel, horrible! You don't get what you payed for!!!!! The pictures that belgrave hotel have up on sites are fake, the pictures I seen on websites of it looked nothing like what I seen when I stayed on July the 27th - 28th (Sunday to Monday) 2014. My boyfriend booked us this because we had the games to attend. We went in & firstly the room we asked for & payed for we didn't get so we went to reception to ask & the woman said we either take the room of leave the room. She didn't go about this in a nice way, infact slagging me & kept making comments which I'll be taking further. The service was shocking. Especially the staff so very rude. She eventually sorted our room in a huff & gave us our key to room 2 & basically we got on with the rest of our day. Things got worse & worse & worse. You go to a hotel to relax, well this hotel wasn't enjoyable & there for you couldn't relax. The morning of our games me & my partner needed showered. The shower was a shocker!!! Before stepping foot in the shower the marble floor was smashed up & could've cut someone's foot so we had to put a towel down so we didn't hurt our feet, next thing was the shower kept filling up & wasn't draining away & the water was nearly coming into the room, not only that they didn't supply you with hotel essentials that you would get like your soap, shampoo & shower gels, so luckily we brought some of our own. The handle in the shower to turn the shower on & off broke of therefore we couldn't turn the shower of or on after it broke off. The crack next to the shower was a hazard because there was bits of marble lying about which could've hurt someone. The door of the shower had a rim at the side so you could shut the shower door but the rim was all hanging off therefore we couldn't shut the shower door because it wouldn't shut, horrendous shower! Worst shower I've had & worst than that it took me all my time to shower because of these faults & was late for my games avent but got up on plenty of time. The hotel was like faulty towers & should be renamed that. They say this is a ‘newly refurbished hotel’ well it doesn't bloody look like that, it's a dump. I will try & post pictures I took for proof of how bad this hotel is. The car park also was shocking, lucky we only had a wee car, if you have a big car you'll either bump it with how tight the car park is going in to it or you'll not get up the hill to park as your car just spins on the stones going to park, the ground isn't stable to park your car. Not a snob but that hotel was just ridiculous, such a disappointment & I do not recommend it to anyone. Please believe me! The breakfast aswell was just a disaster. Not only did you have to serve your own breakfast & do it all yourself, you had to share seats with people! If your a shy person & like having breakfast in peace with whoever you'll not get that at all if you book up here, words can't describe how terrible it was!! Was grateful to pack my bags & leave. The hotel was even a midden from the front & back. We payed for our stay but I assure you this place is not worth staying in or your money & I will be getting my money back. It's £55 to stay & i think that was expensive for what it was. Another thing to mention the hotel manager wasn't even friendly & like I said the staff were horrible. The manager didn't even look like a manager & it looked bad from our point of view & I'm sure people that stayed there would agree with me. The room was ok, the beds etc. Cleanliness was terrible in the room as the roof was damp & yellow, spiders webs in the room & going in to the room, the heater on the wall you couldn't touch to adjust as it was yellow & brown & minging because the heater was leaking, you could've caught something. The walls were brown because of dampness & didn't look fresh. Also the hotel it's self wasn't clean, damp walls which were yellow & turning brown, the floors were minging & dirty, moths & insects flying about which bothers me because I have a phobia of things like that, spiders on walls & lots of spiders webs hanging from the roof, was very dusty aswell & not to mention the walls were all cracked & minging so not a very nice place to stay. That's all I have to say but I'm warning you people the hotel is horrible & it isn't worth the money! Horrible place so DONT BOOK UP, YOU'LL GET THE SHOCK OF YOUR LIFES, I DID!!!

• Stayed July 2014
4 Thank Stepherzzz

Travellers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Looking for luxury? This isn't the place. But if basic cleanliness and a comfortable bed is what you can do with, then you can't ask for more from this quaint little hotel. It has that touch of simple friendliness and homely atmosphere - something to look forward to after that long tiring journey. And for the price we get during this pre-Commonwealth Games when other hotels are upping their rates, there's nothing to complain.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

1 Thank 253ChooS
Reviewed 5 July 2014

So glad to find this hotel. Originally from Glasgow and moved to jersey several years ago, decided to take the kids back to show them Glasgow sites and was so glad to find this very homely hotel. The staff were so pleasant and lovely with the children, the rooms lovely and clean and breakfast was fantastic as plenty of choice which is good when you have two fussy children. But the added bonus for us was the car park as being from Glasgow know how difficult it is for parking (especially in glasgow a west end) which cut out a lot of stress not having to look for a space to park. All in all a fabulous experience and will be making regular trips home as this is value for money. And the staff could not do enough. Thank you Belgrave hotel.

• Stayed June 2014
Lewistown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Charming little hotel. I stayed one night while waiting to meet up with my tour group. Very easy walk from the Kelvinbridge Subway stop, even with my large duffel and rolling suitcase. My single room was on the smaller side (woudn't have fit two people) but had its own bathroom. Bed was comfortable, furnishings were new, carpet was unbelievable and the huge window was a treat! Free WiFi and television. Free breakfast was simple but filling--hot food or cold option (cereal and yogurt). I only had two issues (not complaints, just things worth mentioning for future guests) #1: the shower got REALLY hot, and took quite a while to find a comfortable temperature. Seriously, how many times have you had that problem while traveling? Usually its the other way around! and #2: The sound in the stairway carries through the door. Totally not a problem at night, everyone was extremely courteous about evening noises, but occasionally it was louder during the early evening as people went up and down the stairs and hallway. Nothing would stop me from going back though, and I would recommend the Belgrave to any of my friends travelling in Glasgow.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Brough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

From start to finish this whole experience was not we expected when booking this so called Hotel through Booking.com. Firstly it took us over an hour to find the hotel even using Sat Nav and also with my experience of Glasgow it did not exist. In the end we just drove around and around in the area using our commence sense, so the moral of this paragraph is for the hotel to give out more specific directions to the hotel and the so called Car Park. When I say Car Park I mean a derelict piece of land at the back of the hotel that needs a good make over.
We were greeted by a young gentleman who did not seem to understand the hotel business and it seemed as if he was an apprentice especially when we complained that the room was not what we booked online. We asked for a triple room with a double and one single bed and were disappointed to find 3 single beds and when we threatened to find somewhere else late on a Friday night he hurriedly pushed two of the single beds together and made the bed with sheets that did not fit. The room was very poor in cleanliness and the decor was well below standard, especially for a room that was recently refurbished. The hotel actually advertises that it has recently been refurbished but we could not see much evidence apart from the wall had been emulsioned still with the TV on it. The only positive thing to say about this hotel (Guest House) was the (Cooked Breakfast) which was enjoyable. Overall I think the Hotel needs to have a re-think of what it is advertising on it's website as they are seriously misleading the public who pay over their hard earned money. Not a place I would go back too or recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: Book a different hotel
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank James S
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 21 June 2014

From start to finish, this place was a joke. I phoned to get better directions(there is no signage from street of guesthouse), the lady that answered was eating and told me so, and continued to pause and eat as she gave me directions. The rear parking lot was dirty, trash and weeds everywhere. The room had dirty towels stuffed behind the door like the staff just left them there. The twin bed covers appeared old and grimy. Only one of the bed sheets looked clean. No bed skirts, staring at old worn box springs. Thick dust on black (fake ) leather chair. Dust and grimy fingerprints on the toilet flush button, (gross), same around edges of TV monitor. Grimy rotten wood around shower base with mold or mildew. Mold inside shower around rim. White paint splatters over black tile floor leftover from "renovation". Soap dispenser almost empty with thick dust on top (not a little). Old brown carpet dirty. Are you kidding me? I couldn't wait to leave. The manager I think was trying to be friendly and nice but just lacking an eye for detail or doing things the cheapest way possible. It shows.

Room Tip: One of the positive reviews I read on this place came from Secret Scotland and they said they only s...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo