“Great good, great local”
Review of The Drake Bar

The Drake Bar
Ranked #49 of 212 Nightlife in Glasgow
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A gastro style pub with high emphasis on quality affordable food and drinks in a relaxed, environment. Great food, extensive drinks menu, dog friendly and a great friendly atmosphere.
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Been in a few times for food & drinks, staff are lovely and will happily change dishes on the menu to make it healthier. Great atmosphere and cool place to hang out.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

Cant fault the food, other halfs risotto was bursting with flavour, my burger (thanks to the staff for adding a fried egg, not on the extras!) was tip top as was the spicy virgin mary! Everything tasted fresh, and we were served pretty promptly, although it was early lunchtime and quiet. Service from the waitresses was relaxed, chatty and helpful.
The bar itself is down a few stairs off the main road, so watch out for the signs. Inside its been nicely decorated, I enjoyed it and would definitely like to return in the evening for a few beers!

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Ate in the drake on Saturday 1st march, 5.30-7.30pm. Service really let it down, when we saw the waitresses they were lovely its just a shame they didn't attend to our table properly. We waited ages for someone to take our food order and clear our main dishes away. We had to go out to bar area ourselves to look for someone to ask for sweet menu and yet again to ask for bill. By this time a huge crowd had arrived with bags and took up so much room it was difficult to get past.

So the food.....

To start we ordered the haggis fritters which were on special. They were beer battered and the batter melted in your mouth, beautiful.

I had the duck breast which was on special and was supposed to come with potato and seasonal veg. The duck, what there was of it was lovely, but the portion was tiny, especially at £14.95, the potato was quite hard and pretty tasteless and the cabbage also seemed half cooked and cold. Not great.

My husband had the spicy lamb burger and reported that it was really nice.

Our friend had the omelette which he was really enjoying until he got a huge mouthful of bones from the fish which put him off. When the waitress finally came to clear our plates, she asked if the omelette was ok as so much had been left. When told about the bones and fact it had put him off it, her response surprised me. But did it taste ok she asked, when told yes, she said, oh well that's ok then......huh??

So as myself and friend were still hungry due to disappointing mains we ordered dessert. These were great, sticky toffee pudding and mixed cheeses with oatcakes, grapes, celery......lovely.

But the issues with the food, and in particular the poor service, mean that we won't return here. At £93 for three of us it simply wasn't good enough.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

i stumbled across this place while on a pub crawl a few years ago and vowed to return after seeing how nice the menu looked.

I have since returned several times and even got close family members to try it too.

We popped in last week for dinner and again it delivered big time.

I urge folks to try the haggis scotch eggs, as they are so good. I need to get my girlfriend to try and make them at home!

1  Thank Yipeekaya
See more reviews
Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

Went Saturday 8 feb. Real fire place is a major plus on a cold rainy day in Glasgow. Quick and attentive service from the stuff. Good selection of food with a special attention to Scottish excellence. Nice selection of drink too. They were showing sports but with the volume almost off, which is in my opinion a plus. Only major disappointment is that they allow non-guide dogs in dining area. There were 5 of them and some started barking ans growling. In addition the smell of wet dogs was not exactly stimulating the appetite. Not sure that I will visit again for food.