“Good pub well priced and friendly”
Review of The Old Smiddy

The Old Smiddy
Ranked #41 of 212 Nightlife in Glasgow
More attraction details
Owner description: Small Local Pub Serving Cold Beer And Hot Food Along With Some Great Service. Local Cask Ales And A Great Wine Selection. Kids Menu Also Available Until 7pm
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Popped in for some food with kids, friendly service and decent prices....specially beer ... Lots of TV for World Cup football viewing. Nice local pub in a very nice locale near river and Holmwood House. Bar staff great, would recommend if in the area.

1  Thank Hearts74
"few drinks"
"last night"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 28 May 2014

There are two types of "I never knew this was here?" Either you pass it by every day and take no notice, or you stumble upon a backwater you never knew existed. And it's fair to say that The Old Smiddy comes into the latter category, situated in the deepest darkest depths of leafy Cathcart which surprises you that it's even in a city at all.

Well, The Old Smiddy does exist and "Cathcart's 1st pub" promises so much from the outside. Its whitewashed walls and small cottage like doors & windows give it a charming fishing village abode type feel, but once you stoop your head under the black stone lintel you're confronted with a standard chain type swirly carpeted establishment.

There's no ye olde world charm once inside. Where are the dark stained floorboards, the Blacksmith's tools or the old oak beams? The pumped real ale? If the outside indicated what you'd find inside then that would be 'happy days'. You'd expect Tennents on tap, reasonably priced standard pub grub and that would sit perfectly with your expectations. You'd be Ok with it and think "this is a pretty good pub, with good service where I can watch the footie and eat a burger". In fact the next time I decide to go, I'll shut my eyes on approach and hope I find the door. Then I'll be more than happy.

1  Thank thearabsmith
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I visited The Old Smiddy today with some colleagues. Inside is very welcoming and I imagine it would be a nice place to visit at the weekend for a few drinks with friends.

The menu consists of dishes along the lines of what the likes of Wetherspoons serve. I wasn't too hungry so opted for a plain burger with chips. Service was quick and friendly but my meal was simply average. I wasn't expecting fine dining for £5.50 but whilst the chips were served hot, the well sized burger was only lukewarm and for me, that kills a dish. I was one of the first of my party to be served which I had hoped would mean that my plate wouldn't have been lying around for too long. The burger itself, despite its size, didn't really do much for me in the flavour department.

Regardless, my colleagues seemed to enjoy their meals and I can imagine many people will visit and enjoy theirs. I would probably return again and sample another item from their menu before passing further judgement.

To give them their due, the young girls working checked back on our party to ensure everything was to our liking so I would imagine that had I highlighted my issue, it would have been dealt with but given that we were on a tight schedule and I couldn't be bothered making a fuss on this occasion, I let it go.

Staff also cleared our plates quickly and offered us desserts so all in all, it's a very good on the service front.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

Four of us went for lunch to the Old Smiddy. The place was busy during the day (midweek), which is always a good sign. We had 2 to 3 courses each, and the food was really very good, with very big portions (I couldn't finish mine!) and a very extensive vegetarian choice.
We all thoroughly enjoyed our lunch, and would definetely return.
In summary, The Old Smiddy has good food with many vegetarian options, excellently priced menu and lovely staff. We will be back ;-)

1  Thank lovetravelling18