Clifton Hotel
US$181
US$159
Priceline
  • Restaurant
All reviewsoran morbotanic gardenswest endgreat western roadfour posterchest of drawersserved quicklycity centremain roadscottish breakfastbusy roaddouble bedsubway stationwould definitely stay here againconvenient locationbeansstayed for one night
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We stayed in a family room which was large and spacious. The hotel was easy to find and right next to Botanic Gardens. Great value and a good cooked breakfast. The staff were cheerful and friendly at all times, especially Lorraine who welcomed us and was very helpful which made our stay all the more enjoyable. we will use this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Having stayed at this hotel previously I was very surprised about some of the recent reviews so was not sure what to expect.
We had a different room this time (12a) and it was very quiet compared to the rooms facing the street but being in a City and an old building facing a busy road you do expect the noise.
Our room was clean and had everything we needed. Yes the furniture is from Ikea but it does the job we also got to see into some of the Fourposter rooms and they are done beautifully.
All the staff we spoke to were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was great. The only negatives and they are very little ones are the car park (not much can be done about it, it's small and makes the most of the space there) and you sometimes have to wait for a seat in the breakfast room but it's not a long wait.

Room Tip: Ask for a rear facing room to escape traffic noise.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 May 2013

What can I say. This place is dire. The website gives the impression that it is almost a boutique hotel that couldn't be further from the truth.
It is a residential hotel. No disrespect, but I do not expect dossers when I stay at a hotel. My room, no. 5, was furnished with some of the cheapest flat pack furniture money can buy. The carpet was threadbare in places, there were dirty marks on the bathroom door, black stuff on the shower tray, and some of the worst finishing and decoration I've seen for some time.
Basically, it is nothing like its described to be on the website. I take issue with that, because hats what I based my decision to stay there on.
I could go on, but what's the point. Trading Standards may be next.
Maybe there is a very good reason why you pay for your stay upfront!

• Stayed: May 2013
6  Thank Swazinut
Reviewed 23 April 2013

Having spent 2 nights at this hotel, & read previous reviews I feel it has been unfairly criticised. This is a beautiful Victorian building in the middle of Glasgow's affluent West End. The staff have been polite & welcoming. Even when I had a minor complaint it was dealt with swiftly. My room - 17 is on the basement of the building overlooking the car park. The room is lovely & large with tea & coffee making facilities, & flatscreen freeview TV. The spacious bathroom has a bath & shower. Bedlinen was clean & crisp with an ample supply of towels & soap. Breakfast was a choice of fresh juice & fruit, cereals & a full Scottish cooked breakfast including toast, tea, coffee etc. All the fantastic features the west end has to offer are on the doorstep including Botanic gardens & highly acclaimed Oran Mor. Clifton is not advertised as a modern boutique hotel or similar. It is a comfortable, friendly small hotel with original features of the great Scottish architectural characters of earlier times. So relax &enjoy your visit to this wonderful city.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 April 2013

Place was not bad
Car parking is a issue but then again city centre
You pay what you get for
Rooms weren't clean but the service was fine
Breakfast was good on the bright side
Was reasonable priced
From our room we had a great view . My complaint of this room would be the noisy fan system. We switched this off which was fine except in our room there was also the constant noise of running water which did not abate until the wee hours of the morning when it started again a few hours later. I guess we must have been near the hotel's water system!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple