“What a Joke”
Review of Clifton Hotel

Clifton Hotel
Ranked #71 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Well where to begin we were due to stay at this hotel for on night last weekend for my birthday sat 7 dec. we arrived after finding their was no space to park the car in their car park we asked the reception if their was any other places around and the answer was yes but a good walk away. we opted to park the car outside the hotel and pay as we were tired from a long drive. we went to check in and the receptionist couldn't find are room key. after informing the manager a kea was found and we were shown to are room. Once we entered are room we discovered that the room was already i n use and their was somebody's things around the room. we went back to reception and informed them and nobody seemed to no why or who was staying in the room. in the time it took us to get back to reception their was anther family attempting to check in and the staff didn't not have a room for them after them providing conformation of their booking. it was shocking to find that all the staff there had no clue of anything that was happening in their hotel. luckily for us they had provided us with the WIFI code so in the all the confusion of the staff with all their overbooking problems i had managed to get online and book another hotel and asked for a refund which I am still waiting for. in short the hotel was smelly old and need updating, the staff were un trained and un professional and I would not recommend this hotel to anybody.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chris s

Reviewed 11 December 2013

I booked the hotel as I was going to see a band at the hydro and wanted somewhere cheap and cheerful I always say I don't mind a hotel and feel comfortable as long as it’s clean and it certainly wasn't clean in the slightest. The room looked like they had changed the sheets and nothing else. The cleaners/last person to stay hadn't even flushed the toilet and the floor was so dirty I couldn’t bring myself to take my shoes off. There were coffee stains on the cabinets and even money lying about on the floor. I maybe would have understood that they didn’t have time to clean the room if we hadn’t arrived at 4:30 in the afternoon. An hour and a half after check in time.
When we arrived we parked outside and my partner nipped in to get directions to the car park (one of the main reasons we picked here apart from price) the women on reception told him and then asked if we were booked into the hotel he stated yes and gave our name to which she told us we hadn’t booked (I had already booked and paid a month before) she then found our name when we returned from the car and told us she had doubled booked us and she was going to get into trouble and was asking us what to do at this point if I had known the state of the room I would have said that we would take our money back and go elsewhere.
I had the worst sleep ever as the room was freezing and a sheet and thin duvet doesn’t make for a cosy night sleep.
The owner seemed nice though and let us park the car in their car park while we had a look around the botanic gardens which are next door, only thing is we wanted to get out of there so quickly we were in the gardens at 9am waiting for the greenhouses to open at 10am
All in all you definitely get what you pay for and next time I will not be booking a hotel without checking the reviews

1  Thank AshleighMitchell
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I have recently stayed at this hotel. I have to say, for the money, it was well worth it. very nice clean rooms, friendly staff and great breakfast. For a 3* hotel, it was a 4* service..

The Hotel is very well located in the west end, close to local bar's and restaurants. I have to say, the car park was a bit small but it was more off a complimentary parking, so should be appreciated as most hotels in the area don't have any parking spaces. Ironing board and iron was supplied as soon as requested. I've stayed in 5* hotels and have never had a better service then I've experienced from the Clifton staff..

My first impression was, what the hell, I'm only going out and staying out, but have a roof over my head at night.. but entering the hotel and seeing the service was shocking..

I've read some reviews here but trust me, you have to give it a try.. if you want quality, then stay at the Hilton across the road but I'll guarantee you, you wouldn't get the same service as this hotel... I stayed in room 18, no view but who needs a view when you've had a good night out and have a room to sleep...lol...

Anyway this is my review, you have to experience it to appreciate it.. Enjoy and do visit Byres Road and Botanic Gardens which is only a stone throw away.. .

Cheers

Room Tip: For a good night sleep, choose room 18.. it's the basement. Very roomy nice and quiet plus you h...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 November 2013

I booked a 4 bed room at an incredibly low price so when I arrived it was of the view this place might be a bit grotty ,how wrong met with friendly staff and then shown to a large room .the room was spotlessly clean , was en suite ideal for what we wanted , the following morning we had a great cooked breakfast once again with great friendly service
I m a believer in you get what you pay for but this place gives you a lot more than you pay I ll defo be back again

Room Tip: we where in 16 and was spot on
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank markd711
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We travelled up to Glasgow quite a lot,my husband being a Sales Agent in the Motor Trade,has stayed in a number of Hotels in the City over the years
We arrived in the west end with a open mind and had not booked anywhere,we knocked on the door to a warm welcome.
The room excellant condition, and decided to stay for two nights returning to-day 18th
Breakfast ample and cooked to your satisfaction. Will we stay here again you bet

Reviewed 18 November 2013

There’s not much different I can say from previous reviews. It’s a good, average, hotel that is good for a one-night stop over.

We had a family room for three adults at £19 each with breakfast included so for that price can you really complain about anything? The staff I encountered were always extremely friendly and helpful and of course the free on-site parking was a bonus. The room was dated but all you needed at the same time. We were given an iron and ironing board when asked and we had a healthy supply of teas and coffees.

We were in Room 23 which is right at the reception so was of course a bit noisy in the morning and also during the night there was a lot of hustle and bustle going on in the car park which was adjacent to our window and kept us awake.

Would recommend for a short stay if you’re on a budget.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Hotel is in a good location to explore west end. botanic gardens juat two mins away. family run business. staff are helpful but don't overly do it. Lorraine and kath are great staff and have been working at clifton for years. breakfast is ok a bit small and homeless people and paying guests don't make a good atmosphere also the kitchen door is open and you can hear staff talking. i enjoyed my stay at the hotel fresh towels everyday and the service was first class. one point i would like to make is the heating it can get cold at night and the staff listened to you if you said its cold. would definitely stay here again. good value for money

1  Thank sue44444