“Mouldy, musty and holey!”
Review of Clifton Hotel

Clifton Hotel
Ranked #73 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
London
“Mouldy, musty and holey!”
Reviewed 20 July 2009

I stayed for one night in room 8. What a disappointment! The room was very old and not what i expected from the photos on the website. There were cracks on the walls, black mould on the bathroom window and water marks on the walls. The whole room smelt very musty and smokey. I think we got the older wing of the building as my friends who stayed there last year had very pleasant and clean rooms. Also, ask to see the allocated rooms first before paying otherwise it will be very hard to switch rooms!

Unless you are staying in the newer section of the hotel, i do not recommend this place and for the cost, you might be better off staying somewhere else!

Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
northern ireland
Reviewed 29 June 2009

I booked the hotel via internet for 2 nights. On arrival I was stunned to see the calibre of the accomodation. There was absolutely no similarity between the internet pictures and the accomdation presented to us.We could only stay in for 30 minutes. This hotel should be condemed and closed to the public. The public health authorities need to investigate this property mascarading as a hotel. Had great difficulty in getting my money back. will never return or reccomend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

Leeds
Reviewed 22 June 2009

No complaints at all.. We stayed for 2 nights Friday and Saturday. We got a warm and helpful reception from Lorraine on our arrival she was at all times helpful and polite. Lorraine was our information centre for the weekend, if it had not been for her we would not have got to half the places we wanted to go. We went for the Take That concert and added an early 25th Wedding anniversery relaxing break - We stayed in the Honeymoon suite, the room was clean, and the bed very comfortable. I agree with some other comments that some of the furniture in the room was a bit tired and one ground floor room i saw was very, very small. however our room was brilliant. Breakfast was very good (and big) freshly cooked breakfast. Ideally situated for us, we had a ball visiting the Botanical Gardens, Museum of Transport and the Restaurants and Coffee shops nearby. It was all good - No complaints at all for the price. Thanks Lorraine! - Rating Good Hotel for Price.... Very good for Staff..........

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
fife
Reviewed 4 May 2009

Staff very nice and helpfull..rooms well floor uneven..toilet pan falling off wall dripping taps we did not use shower just incase that fell to. but at £25 a night with breakfast which was fine. would not go back tho.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
Coventry
Reviewed 7 April 2009

No complaints. I stayed for 1 night. Sunday. I got a warm and helpful reception from Lorraine, who was at all times helpful and polite. I was especially impressed that she found a cell phone charger for me - I had left mine at home. Very nice touch. The room was clean, and the bed comfortable. Maybe some of the furniture is a bit tired - but that doesn't worry me. Good shower. Clean bathroom. Very good (and big) freshly cooked breakfast, with a cheery morning greeting from Lorraine, who sent me on my way with an apple for my lunch - another nice touch you don't get at the big chains. Delicious white cotton sheets! A bit close to the Great Western Rd but it wasn't as noisy as I expected, however, I always travel with ear plugs so I wasn't bothered at all. Good take away curry shop 50 metres away in 1 direction and great coffee shop in the other. Botanical Gardens for a run. It was all good - no complaints. Thanks Lorraine!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank mzurisanaCoventry
Orkney
Reviewed 5 October 2008

I guess there may be lovely rooms upstairs, but the basement room I was given was appalling. I was met with no sympathy when I asked for a change.

To begin with the room is small, airless, noisy, gloomy (if you look up through the window the car park is in view), poorly fitted and badly maintained. I would say it was clean if you discount black mildewed bath sealant and other poorly maintained parts. Two reliable TV channels, which, on one of my nights, both were showing football (yawn!). Plenty of hot water but not a very comfortable bath – a shame because the shower was unusable for anyone over about 5’10”.

Breakfast is taken in a pleasantly located dining room, marred by having the kitchen opening directly onto it, from where the radio noise and staff loudly discussing a complaint just received (obviously, the complainant was in the wrong!) was very intrusive. Breakfast itself – toast arrived just after I’d selected (canned) fruit so was cold and cardboard by the time my bacon, poached eggs and mushrooms arrived – eggs perfect, bacon poor (probably microwaved) and mushrooms terrible (canned and with added hair). I didn’t bother on my second morning, instead leaving early to walk out to the airport.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything! Forgot to mention - no mobile reception.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank one of the world's travellers
Finland
Reviewed 12 July 2008

We stayed here for three night and enjoyed it. Good location in West End, near Kelvingrove Park and next to Botanical Garden. The room was huge and bathroom so spacious that I have never seen in the UK. There is a small parking area behind the hotel and if you are lucky, you get a place for your car. Building is old and the hotel is little worn-out but yet clean and well kept.
Friendly staff, good breakfast, good location, budget price - what else can you ask for.

• Liked — Spacious, clean room and loacation of the hotel
  • Disliked — Parking area is very small
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple