“THIEVES OPERATE HERE!”

easyHotel Glasgow City
Ranked #91 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Yes the room is small, yes the windows are claustrophobic and yes it's very basic but for the money I didn't really expect much.

What bothers me more is that thieves operate here. I left an expensive leather jacket in my room, by the time I realised I was on a coach. I was returning to Glasgow 3 days later so I thought I'd call them to keep it aside, except they have no phone number! I had to submit an online form, to which it said I would hear back in 48 hours. Iin 48 hours I had a notification saying that the query had been resolved, so they had closed it without getting back to me. 3 days later I returned to Glasgow and went to the hotel. There was a small pile of lost property and my coat wasn't there. Tthey took my number to say they'd ask who was on shift to check but heard nothing back. Submitted another online form but after 48 hours yet no response. I'm hoping the member of staff who stole this is enjoying the money they got on eBay!

Other than this we also had a man walk into our room in the middle of the night and the receptionist was asleep when we arrived to check in, we had to go behind the counter and shout several times to get him to get up and serve us!

What a dive! And gives Glasgow a bad name. Otherwise the city provided great fun for the Commonwealth Games, this hotel ruined that spirit.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Tinsapede
Michelle B, Manager at easyHotel Glasgow City, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Hi There,

I have just read your review and not sure how but the telephone number given to me was incorrect. The receptionist may have taken it down incorrectly so my apologies.

I can confirm you jacket is here, Black with Gold/bronze zips and buttons?

Please email me direct so we can arrange for you to get it back.

michelle.brady@easyhotel.com

Reviewed 2 August 2014

No frills and the strangest toilet/shower/sink pod thing ever!
However, for £20 it was spot on. A bed, clean sheets and a hot shower in the morning. Right above The Banana Leaf Malaysian restaurant for dinner, and opposite the famous Oxford Chop shop for you breakfast...spot on. Also about 5 mins walk to work for me, so perfect when I need to crash in Glasgow.
In fact, I am staying again this week - in the even cheaper room (no window!) for £19. That's a bargain if ever...

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Stopped at this hotel on Monday, 28th July. We were attending the Commonwealth Games and had tickets for the Athletics at Hamden Park. Trying to find cheap accommodation in Glasgow during the Games wasn't easy as all the hotels had jumped on the 'band wagon' and were charging ridiculous prices.

This hotel on the internet is described as a 'no frills Super-Budget hotel' and my husband and I had booked a 'Windowless - Twin Room'. Normally this room would have cost £19.00 but because of the Commonwealth Games we were charged £99 plus £1.95 Transaction Fee. In effect, we were charged approximately four times the normal rate. We felt ripped off but it was the only reasonably priced accommodation we could find.

We flew up to Glasgow, arriving about 10.40 am, caught the Airport Shuttle bus to the Buchannon Bus Station, City Center and decided to walk the 500 metres up to the Easy Hotel to see if we could leave our bag and small case there, prior to 'check-in' at 3pm (every hotel I've ever stayed in has done this) By this time, I felt like I needed to use the toilet but thought I would be able to use one in Reception on arrival.

On arriving at the hotel (11.20am), we were informed that there would be a charge of £2.50 to leave the bags. Ok!......this was not a problem, and I offered the female Receptionist the money in cash. Oh no!....she wouldn't accept the cash....we had to go on line and book it, which as I suspected would incur another Transaction Fee. (Nice one Sir Stelios!). We even used a Debit Card and were still charged!

We had to stand in the Reception Area (only one chair and desk) whilst two other girls booked their bags in before us. This area was very sparse and unwelcoming and smelt of stale cooking smells...I think from the Restaurants situated underneath the Hotel.

Whilst waiting, I asked the Receptionist if I could use the toilet, but was informed that there wasn't one. It beggars belief!.....a hotel reception without a toilet!....what would of happened if I had had small children who weren't able to wait!. (Sir Stelios...think you missed a business ploy here as you could have charged for using the loo plus fitted a cash toilet paper vending machine......plus if the toilet had to be booked!.....another £1.95 Transaction Fee!)

The whole procedure took 20 minutes to complete!!...and then I went in search of a toilet elsewhere.

We had booked a 'Windowless Twin Room' and that is exactly what we got. I have to say that it was basic but spotlessly clean and exactly what we had expected. However, we had a chuckle at the TV on the wall (operating buttons disabled) and the absence of a remote control.

We have travelled extensively and stayed in many types and costs of accommodation including 'Budget' but never experienced such 'basic' levels of facilities/customer service.

I know people will say it's "horses for courses" and you get what you pay for!.......but I paid four times more for this experience. We are returning to Glasgow on the 3/07/14 for the Closing Ceremony and thank my lucky stars that I will not be staying this hotel.

Room Tip: Go to a Travel Lodge!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Denise H
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Well, did not expect such a pleasant stay when I first heard we were booked into an EasyHotel. From start to finish, perfect for our needs and real value for money. When I book a hotel I do not plan to live in it, just to spend the night so find many hotels a waste of money. This one was perfect as I paid just for what I needed. As the hotel was booked for me I did not realise it was for early arrival but I arrived late so was told I could transfer the cost to a late departure so as not to lose the money, which I took advantage of. I paid a little extra - something like £2.75, cannot remember exactly, to use the TV for the whole of my stay - 4 nights. I could also arrange for the hotel to keep my baggage on the last day as we were leaving early evening, so I did not have to drag it around town with me, for another £2.75 odd. The rooms and en suite were small but enough for our needs, with lovely clean white hand towels and generous size bath towels. Soap/shower gel was also provided in large bottles, not like the little tiny ones you get in expensive hotels that go nowhere in meeting your needs. And as mentioned, with a tv in the room too. Windows did not open but air condition was very good and could be adjusted by the staff at reception to your needs. The hotel was right in the city centre within easy reach of all the main shopping and tourist sites, walking distance from the coach station and railway stations. The staff were really friendly and genuinely wanted to do everything they could to make our stay a good one, going out of their way with friendly advice, providing plenty of maps and leaflets and directions. Would have no hesitation in staying here again as we enjoyed Glasgow very much with plenty to do and see for all ages, nice eating places too. Thank you very much.

Room Tip: Couldn't imagine a room without a window but there are some so would suggest you ask for one wit...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Krystyna B
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Stayed here overnight in June was very nervous bout staying because of previous reviews .have to say it was very clean and the girl who checked is in was very nice. We were on the fourth floor which was very quiet another in our party was on floor beneath and found it very noisy, the corridor was bit scruffy outside and and the window didn't open which I thought strange after paying ten pounds extra for it!! Will stay there again it grand for one or two nights but not longer! It great value for money

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

I booked a room with window.
I didn't care about the size of the room and I didn't care about being in a nice hotel or complementary things, I knew it was cheap and I thought I knew what to expect, but was offered a window and I don't call a piece of glass stuck in the wall, a window!
The whole point of a window is that I can open it!
These windows do not open. To me that means no window. I don't care that I can see outside, I need to open a window to be fine.
They should warn the customers at the moment of booking that "room with window" does not mean "you will be able to open the window".
I suffer of mild claustrophobia and this was very unsettling. I had to force myself to calm down and remind myself it's all in my head but I will definetly not go to an easyhotel again after this holiday.
I am very easygoing when I want to save money in hotels, I stayed in travelodge, F1 and I'm not even bothered about sharing toilets but if I book a room with a window I demand to have a window, not a piece of glass stuck in the wall.

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank prinsessem
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Rooms reflect the price at Easy Squeezy Hotel. For £39 I got; a small room; a small uncomfortable bed; no window; and a small shower room where you could brush your teeth, go to the toilet and shower at the same time. I wasn't expecting anything more.

It's okay if you are only staying one night and what somewhere cheap. Which is why I booked there. However I didn't sleep - the bed was small and mattress hard. Plus the walls are paper thin!!

Tip: Don't bother with the extras. It's easy to turn the TV on at source. Plus the rooms are small so you don't have to left the bed to reach the TV!

• Stayed: July 2014