“The perfect place to stay in Glasgow”
Review of Alamo Guest House

Alamo Guest House
Ranked #2 of 36 Glasgow B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Guildford, United Kingdom
“The perfect place to stay in Glasgow”
Reviewed 9 June 2013

This is the second time I have stayed at Steve and Emma's guest house. They and their team are very friendly, hospitable and welcoming; nothing is too much trouble. The rooms are of an excellent standard and the breakfasts are very good. Stay here and I don't think you will be disappointed!

• Stayed June 2013
4 Thank Steve R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Hancock, NH, USA
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Our days in Glasgow get off to a great start in the Alamo Guest House dining room. The views of the bowling greens and tennis courts backed by the towers of the Kevingrove Museum are the backdrop for a leisurely and nutritious breakfast. We have stayed here twenty times over the past ten years and return because of hosts Steve and Emma and family and staff. It is comfortable, safe, friendly and reasonably priced. The Alamo House has become our traditional start and end to our walking and music festival trips to Scotland.

Room Tip: Each room is unique. Specify your interests and ask for advice when booking.
3 Thank Bill E
New York, NY
Reviewed 4 June 2013

My husband and I stayed at The Alamo Guest house for two nights last month. The B&B is in a lovely house and our en-suite room was very comfortable. Steve is a wonderful host (we didn't meet Emma). The B&B is in a fantastic location, within walking distance of many great restaurants (we enjoyed Lamora Kitchen and Number 16). It is also close to the University which has a lovely campus. Some may not like that breakfast is not cooked to order but since we rarely eat a hot breakfast we were very happy with the offerings. I cannot imagine a better place to stay in Glasgow and would recommend it to anyone I know.

Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2013

We decided to have a weekend in Glasgow as respite from our own house restoration.
I spent ages looking at the options of places to stay and after feeling demoralised at the drivel available I eventually found the Alamo.
We wanted to stay somewhere that would feel like a real treat and have individual character.

Firstly - always check their website first instead of the "late ....com" type websites as they will always give you a better deal if you contact them than any of those annoying websites which give the appearance of being cheaper.

We stayed here for one night and did town stuff and the second night we stayed in the Macdonald Crutherland house hotel with the view to doing the out of town stuff (the Macdonald Cryutherland was awful and I got food poisoning and had to rush home being sick all the way!). I wish we had stayed both nights at the Alamo.

When you arrive It has a lovely spacious feeling and for a B and B you dont feel you are on top of each other at all.
Not only were we given a discount by booking directly through them we were also on arrival given the choice of a free upgrade to a larger room as it was available for that night.

The rooms are done up in a lovely vintage style which is exactly what we were looking for as we cant stand it when an old building has been stripped out and filled with fake leather, etc.

Our room didn't have ensuite which we were happy about as we dont really like that anyway but you can choose to book rooms that do have this.
We were offered dressing gowns if we wanted them.

Beds were lovely and comfy and we had a huge choice of Dvd's to watch in our room that evening.

The rooms felt lovely and clean and cared for.

The couple who run the place are very friendly and lovely and as their children were also there it gave it a real feeling of welcome - which was a welcome relief.

The breakfast room is lovely and there is a large buffet of cereals, fruit salads, cheeses, etc, etc and the option to help your self to eggs, bacon and sausages and hot crossiants from the warm buffet.

The location is lovely as you can walk out into Kelvingrove park and then to the art gallery, etc which is on the opposite side of the road.

Buses into the main area of the town are very close by so it is easy to see Glasgow and leave the car at the B and B.

I really recommend this B and B and should we be lucky enough to treat ourselves to a trip into Glasgow again then we will definetly stay here.

Many Thanks.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank A S
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We planned a trip to visit our neice at Uni at short notice and I am so glad that we booked the Alamo!
From the moment we arrived and met with Emma we knew we had made the right choice. We were made to feel so welcome (her two young boys were also very hospitable)!

The location is fantastic - in the middle between the City Centre and the West End overlooking a park.

Our room (7) had everything that we needed and the bed was one of the best we have slept in!
There is shared bathrooms and I wasn't sold on this idea however I am glad I was proved wrong on this issue. It wasn't a problem at all.

Breakfast was fantastic - again one of the best selections we have come across.

Whilst we were self sufficiant in our trip some of the guests questioned Steve at breakfast time about transport/places to visit and general advice and he was more than helpful. This is always great to see!

We plan to revisit this guest house again next year when we return to Glasgow!.

2 Thank VickyP77
Holywell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2013

A bit of a late review but my husband and I stayed in November for my birthday weekend. We stayed in the room with the 3D TV. It was a lovely, comfortable room. If I'm being picky the plastic waste bin didn't really tie in with the rest high quality of the room, but a small point. Our robes were also a bit scratchy. The owners were lovely enough to leave me a birthday card and complimentary bottle of bubbly on ice in the room - a wonderful touch. What a shame we didn't get to meet them during our stay. Breakfast was nice but our feeling was that the eggs and bacon should have been made to order - it would have meant better quality and less waste overall and detracts from the other 4* quality feel. Overall a lovely luxury stay in a fantastic location.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 27 April 2013

Instead of rambling on about all the details of my visit, I'll just keep it short. Steve and Emma are the best hosts I've encountered in my adult travels. They were accommodating to our party's lodging needs and all around just nice and helpful. The lodging is great. The breakfast is good. The location is excellent and easily reached by car. Basically, you'd be foolish not to consider Alamo Guest House for a sojourn in Glasgow. I highly recommend this lodging, especially for families.

Room Tip: Although booking is strictly by the website, call ahead and see what is available and what the owner...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family