“Charming house & warm welcome”
Review of Alamo Guest House

Alamo Guest House
Ranked #2 of 36 Glasgow B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Ottawa, Canada
“Charming house & warm welcome”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

The Alamo suited us perfectly during our recent trip to Glasgow. We booked at the last minute on the 10K weekend, so lucky to find a room had just been cancelled. The house is filled with character, surprisingly quiet and comfortable. The owners were very friendly and went out of their way to accommodate my gluten allergy. Excellent location and value, lots of good restaurant choices, easy access to buses and ambiance. I will happily stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank gwoodsgang

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 26 October 2013

The Alamo is a grand house with incredible furnishings. It is located in a quiet location close to the Kelvingrove museum and art gallery and Glasgow University. Several restaurants are nearby. Emma greeted us on arrival and sorted out the parking permits before showing us around. Breakfast was mostly serve yourself from a good selection - however not particularly hot over the candle heater. The Alamo is within walking distance of the city centre if you are used to walking - it is a fairly flat walk.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lird5
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Far from being "out of town," the Alamo is in a perfect location. It faces the vast and lovely Kevingrove Park (where you can play tennis or bowls for free, as well as walk, jog, skateboard, or just watch the passersby), and is right on the bus line from the airport and into downtown Glasgow (the latter about 15 minutes by bus and only about a 20-25 minute walk). The house itself is a delight, as are the hosts, Steve and Emma (and the boys and the cat). Rooms are beautifully appointed with (sturdy) antique furniture, beds are super comfortable, bathrooms lovely and updated. Breakfast is excellent, with a nice variety. Really, I can't say too much about this great value, or I might not be able to get a reservation the next time I travel to Glasgow.

Room Tip: They are all nice, but if you have mobility issues be sure to let the hosts know well in advance. T...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank EnviroGranny
Chatham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I said in my last review (Arrandale House, Douglas) that I don't hand out 5 stars for nothing, yet the downside of using TripAdvisor as your reference is that it is difficult not to.

We were a complicated bunch from the start: we started with three travellers, then ended up with two. We changed the dates of our stay once we'd already made enquiries, and as a result had to change rooms during our stay because we wanted a full week. Whilst some guesthouses would have gone into meltdown at that, Steve and the staff at the Alamo dealt with it as though it was a single overnight stay - then we arrived, got caught in a thunderstorm on the first day and even arriving back half-drowned was handled as though an everyday occurence, and having guest's damp clothes littered around the dining room radiators not remotely unusual.

Some people may be put off by the fact that it is quite far out of town, being next to Kelvingrove Hall, but the walk (about 30-40 minutes into the very centre of town, depending on how fast you walk) or the very frequent buses (£1.40 single on First Glasgow, exact fare, £1.60 on McGills, change given) is well worth it - quiet, even at the front of the house, and a very pleasant view out to the park from the breakfast room. We had a few issues getting there on the first day purely because I didn't think to check which bus we'd need, but the tea/coffee we were offered within a few minutes of stepping in the door was most welcome.

We stayed a few nights in each of rooms 3 and 10, one en-suite, one shared. Plenty of bathroom space for the shared rooms (although it was hard to keep the water from the shower inside the bath) and in the en-suite. Both rooms were cleaned daily (and the beds re-made, no matter how many times we left the duvets off) and very well so, too.

Essentially, quality oozes at the Alamo - staff, cleaning, breakfast, rooms - to hear Steve refuse to serve poached eggs one morning because he wasn't happy with the quality of the emergency-purchase shop-bought ones (as supposed to their usual farm supplier) should tell you everything.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Chris D
Chicago
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We enjoyed our stay for 5 nights in this great Glasgow location. The guest house is beautiful and the breakfast buffet is very good. The hosts could not be nicer or more helpful--with restaurant choices/reservations and driving directions. There are 4 rooms on the ground floor and 8 below street level. We were in room 3 downstairs, with a large bay window, and it was lovely. Modern bathroom. No problem with parking right in front of the guest house. It's quiet, even though in the thick of the west side action. Good restaurants and museums within walking distance.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank gegjafnm
Fort Langley, Canada
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Just a quick trip and one night in Glasgow but loved the gorgeous Alamo Guest House. We received a warm welcome from Emma and had a lovely conversation with Steve at breakfast the next morning. Breakfast was wonderful and even my daughter's special dietary request was no trouble! I only wish we had more time in Glasgow but will definitely stay at Alamo on my next visit!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Lolitravels
Kenilworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 October 2013

We have stayed here three times in the last six/seven years. I have now decided that it is time to start writing some reviews.

Quick Summary
Highly recommended Guest House / Hotel.

We have stayed with and without children and under both circumstances nothing was too much trouble for the staff and owners' Steve & Emma.

Both Steve and Emma are well travelled and interesting to talk to with a wide knowledge of local happenings and good restaurants.

My wife and I’s first choice of accommodation in Glasgow.

Location.
Great location opposite the Kelvingrove park just off Sauchiehall street. Located within easy walking distance of a number of good restaurants (ask the owners for their recommendations), city bus tour stop and the city itself (a pleasant walk through the park)

Highly attentive and informative staff and in particular the owners.

Rooms
Very comfortable. Room 12 is outstanding with a romantic bathroom as part of the room. Overlooking the park. Very impressed.

Price.
Well priced in my opinion and certainly cheaper than some of lesser quality. The rooms are priced according to what you want (en-suite or not, size, view etc). So caters for most price-wise. But room 12 is the one you want if it’s a bit of romance you are after.

Breakfast.
Very good with a wide selection

General Background and Comments
I was initially dubious about staying here, as I am more a Hotel person than a Guest House/B&B person. I do not particularly like the feeling of staying in a stranger’s home. Well the Alamo had the best of both worlds. Better than most 4 star hotel quality rooms but the relaxed feeling found in a warm welcoming home without the uncomfortable feeling of using the owners personal belongings (I am sure some of you may understand what I mean). My first impressions were great. The welcoming owners and majestic entrance hall and beautifully painted ceilings set the scene. However, I was a bit concerned to note the resident cat as I have an allergy to cats. Interestingly I did not react, so this would indicate to me the public areas are cleaned regularly and the cat never spent any time in the bedrooms. My concern was unfounded and I could breathe easy.

Six years, or so, ago the owners had recently bought the Alamo and had started to upgrade the rooms to their own, and apparently, much higher standards than the previous owner. I am aware of this as Steve showed us the rooms they had upgraded and talked us through some of the plans he and Emma had for the ones awaiting refurbishment. I am happy to say that over the past three stays Steve had kept to his plans and in in fact surpassed them having refurbished already refurbished rooms in an attempt to continually improve standards. There appears to be a real and successful attempt in maintaining the historical character of the building through its furnishings and décor but also deliver the mod cons of decent TV’s, free wifi. modern showers and bathrooms (in the rooms we stayed in at least), good use of lighting and not to mention an impressive collection of DVD’s / blue rays.

If you are into your Whiskey ask Steve about his collection. If you are lucky enough you could be there for one of his taster evenings.

Room Tip: Room 12 for romance
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple