“first visit to glasgow”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Manchester, United Kingdom
“first visit to glasgow”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

It was my first visit to Glasgow and I wished to stay near to the University. After a lot of searching on Google and Trip Advisor I decided on the Alamo. I certainly struck lucky and I was
delighted with my choice. I received a nice welcome when I arrived and I was very pleased with
my bedroom - very comfortable bed, spacious, tea-making facilities, tv. etc. And most important
very quiet at night. The breakfast was excellent, everything you could possibly want including
fresh fruit salad. My whole experience was most enjoyable and when I return to visit my grand-
daughter I shall certainly stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Isabel939

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I recently stayed here for 4 nights and loved it. The owners Steve and his family were very helpful and made me feel right at home. The common areas and accommodation are part of a beautifully restored Victorian town house filled with antique furnishings. My room was quiet and very comfortable. The wifi connection was fast and reliable, which helped me complete some work during my stay. The room also had a tea and coffee making facility, flat screen TV and DVD. There is a laptop you can borrow.

Breakfast is excellent and served in a beautiful room overlooking Kelvingrove park and the grand university buildings . Scrambled eggs, sausages, bacon, toast and croissants were always available on the hot buffet. Cereals, fresh fruit, juices, yoghurt cheese etc. on the cold buffet. Other styles of eggs are cooked to order.

In terms of location,it's hard to beat the Alamo. It sits on the edge of Kelvingrove park and is only a few minutes walk from the most adventurous bars and restaurants in Glasgow. I highly recommend this guest house.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor and to the front have great views of Kelvingrove Park.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Artin M
Reviewed 4 November 2013

'My girlfriend and I often stay in small guest houses and hotels in Glasgow and Edinburgh, mainly so we can go shopping, have a meal or go to the cinema, and not have to worry about travelling afterwards.

This is the first time we stayed in the Alamo, we had seen it advertised before, but somehow over looked it.

I am not exaggerating when I say this will now be our first choice for accommodation when staying over in Glasgow, in fact I will go as far to say that our choice of date to stay over in Glasgow will now be dependant on room availability at this guest house.

First of all I made an error in my on-line booking with a well known \'last minute\' agent, I called Steve at the Alamo to discuss, fearing that my booking would be unchangeable or cost me a deposit...Steve in fact rebooked me in a alternative room and advised me in detail what to do in future.

Our room was beautiful, a perfect mix of antique style with all modern touches: large flat screen,digital shower, WiFi etc.

The cleanliness and condition of the room was perfect, so much so that I booked a second night almost straight away. Steve kindly moved us to room 3, with its super king size bed...which was even better than room 11.

The breakfast was varied and fresh - laid out nicely and the staff were very attentive to service.

The décor throughout the house was beautiful, and for my girlfriend and I the finishing touch was the presence of the guest house cat, Flash.

I love the west end, and this guest house is situated in the heart of it...but just tucked away enough to be free of traffic noise.

I can see why Steve and his family take great pride and care in their guest house, it has a real personal feel, and is quite unique. I joked with Steve when I was leaving that I may not leave a review, as not to advertise this little gem of a hotel too much! but really this is the best 3* hotel I have ever stayed in, either in the UK or abroad.

Thank you Steve and family.

Best wishes, Stewart and Libby.'

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank samdrup
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I stayed with a friend for 3 nights, to see some of the sights of Glasgow. The Alamo is a charming old house, full of character and beautifully decorated and furnished. The room was quiet and comfortable, and very spacious. We made sure to book an en-suite room - the bathroom was small but perfectly acceptable, very clean and well decorated. The location for seeing the sights is perfect, close to art galleries and museums, and within walking distance of the shops. Would thoroughly recommend the Alamo (and Glasgow) for short breaks.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Pam C
Birmingham, Michigan
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We arrived in Glasgow and stayed two nights before renting a vehicle and traveling north. We had room number 1 for both stays. We realized before arriving for our second stay that our plane left so early that we should book a hotel at the airport. Despite several days notice of our need to cancel one nights stay we were billed 10 pounds for the cancellation. The location is near the University and the Kelvingrove Museum. It is walking distance to multiple restaurants. The bed is comfortable. The facility is clean and pleasant although the circuits can overload. There is no common area aside from the breakfast room to linger and perhaps meet other guests. The breakfast is very good with the option of requesting porridge and eggs poached. Steve and Emma are the owners and Steve is very keen on growing his business. I appreciated the use of a computer to access my email when we stayed here. Our room had two chairs that were antique in nature and not suitable for lingering. Robes are supplied in each room which is a very nice touch. Our room had an ensuite shower and toilet. I would not want to share a tub with other guests which non ensuite rooms may need to do. The rooms have lovely high ceilings and are painted to complement the architectual details. On our last day the windows were steaming up while we ate breakfast and Steve cleaned them with window cleaner which did not add to the enjoyment of my breakfast. That said, this is a nice establishment that is looking to grow.

Room Tip: get an ensuite room for privacy.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank msl50birm
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 26 October 2013

The Alamo suited us perfectly during our recent trip to Glasgow. We booked at the last minute on the 10K weekend, so lucky to find a room had just been cancelled. The house is filled with character, surprisingly quiet and comfortable. The owners were very friendly and went out of their way to accommodate my gluten allergy. Excellent location and value, lots of good restaurant choices, easy access to buses and ambiance. I will happily stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank gwoodsgang
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 26 October 2013

The Alamo is a grand house with incredible furnishings. It is located in a quiet location close to the Kelvingrove museum and art gallery and Glasgow University. Several restaurants are nearby. Emma greeted us on arrival and sorted out the parking permits before showing us around. Breakfast was mostly serve yourself from a good selection - however not particularly hot over the candle heater. The Alamo is within walking distance of the city centre if you are used to walking - it is a fairly flat walk.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple