“PUB GRUB”

Malones Irish Bar
Ranked #538 of 2,407 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Irish, Bar, Pub
Good for: Groups, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“PUB GRUB”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I'd heard through the grapevine this new bar was great, traditional pub grup, drinks promos, live entertainment and a friendly atmosphere so was very much looking forward to our visit. on arrival the place definitely looked the part, however, the staff were not friendly in fact were quite miserable, nobody acknowledged us let alone greeted us.

we sat at a corner table where we were ignored for about 10-15 mins or so despite the place being quite quiet. I felt as if I was interrupting the bar and kitchen staff sitting chatting about who was drunk the night before. i ordered drinks and took them to our table. I had to approach the bar staff and ask for menus and after being ignored again we ordered food at the bar. After placing our order the "chef" who had multiple facial pearcings and grubby looking whites left stood outside and smoked a cigarette before going upstairs to cook our meal presumably ( not exactly hygenic) our food came down after no time at all and def looked the part, however, had to be sent back as our soup was cold and our fries were burnt to a cinder and our burger was rare in the middle.

we weren't expecting gourmet but decent pub grub, however, there was no apology or attempt to rectify the situation and the bar staff really didn't seem to care less. i was really disappointed as had heard some good things but were left with a bad taste in our mouths.

4 Thank charles b

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Glasgow's most authentic Irish bar!”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I first visited this place after I heard about it from a friend.
I'm from Ireland and have been studying in Glasgow for the last 2 years. Before Malones opened there was no Irish bar that accomodated students as well as malones do. They offer a 'craic' card to students which offers 50% off food, cheaper spirits, shots and pints, including Magners cider!
The atmosphere is something I have never experienced, as it integrates both Glasgow's old and young population. During the day the staff make you feel very welcoming, as each time I have visited Malones I have struck up a conversation with different staff members.
I have been told there is live music on 6 nights a week. I personally am a big fan of the Thursday night as a traditional music set is led by a young man Conor, whom is very skilled on the banjo and bodhán, the evening is very relaxed and laid back.
To conclude, I have enjoyed my time at Malones so much that I decided to create an account on the sole basis to show my appreciation towards this venue and I wish to congratulate both management and staff on creating my current favourite venue in Glasgow.
I wish you a long and successful future, see you soon!

1 Thank Conor M
“Real Irish”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

This is definitely one of the best Irish bars around. The staff are amazingly friendly. The live music is brilliant and the food is great.
The epitome of the Craics 90

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“No Welcome for the disabled here.”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I am disabled.
We booked a table for 8 for a team lunch today. This bar has been revamped. Previously it had regular tables and chairs as well as booths.
On arriving I discovered that the seating now consists of either high bar stools or high booths.There is one little table with 4 little stools at it. We were not advised of this when booking.
I asked at the bar if the upstairs seating area was open,but was told it was not. The bar staff couldn't seem to figure out why a disabled person might have a problem climbing up onto a bar stool.
I was embarrassed and humiliated as everyone else seated in the bar was looking at me, so I walked out.
So if you are disabled, keep your self respect and dignity. Give this place a miss.

9 Thank WeeFi13
“Good atmosphere.”
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Went here on Grand National weekend. Small and intimate. Great location. Only downside was the staffing/cleanliness. I spent about an hour there on a busy Saturday afternoon and only saw one of the bar staff collect glasses once, but didnt wipe the tables as some had drinks spilled on them. Wilk be back, hopefully teething problems will be ironed out. Woukd recommend.

Visited April 2014