“Lovely Scottish Welcome”

Ranked #35 of 38 Glasgow B&B and Inns
Cornwall, England
“Lovely Scottish Welcome”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

My friend and I recently stayed here whilst visiting our sons in Glasgow and we were very happy with it. The room we had was lovely, spacious and warm, it was snowing and cold whilst we were there and the heating could be controlled by us in the bedroom and the bathroom which we liked. The beds were comfy and everything clean. It is an old house and there are some chips and cracks but this just added to its charm for us. We did have a room at the back that overlooked the Botanic Gardens and we were not disturbed at all by noise apart from first thing in the morning when we did hear other guests in the breakfast room, the door of which was directly opposite our room, but we were ready to get up by then anyway. Breakfast is basic; cereal, toast, and little pancakes that could go into the toaster, crepes that didn't, cold meat etc, we were happy with this as we then went out for a proper breakfast/brunch later. Gordon, the Manager, was brilliant fun, friendly and attentive and happy to give us extra tea, milk etc for our room. We paid £114 for three nights for two people and felt we had a bargain. The location is lovely, straight across the road from Byres Road and everything you want is there. Lovely pub, Owen Mur, just across the road. We didn't arrive until later but we informed the hotel first and they were waiting for us. We'd definitely go again as long as the price was right.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Coxei

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2012

This bed and breakfast is a joke, No one to meet me and just told to help myself to a really horrible breakfast in the morning. My room smelled of stale smoke and needed a good clean. The internet did not work and when i attempted to contact the number on the door(no staff in attendance) i got no reply. The room was also very noisy and the carpet in my room could do with a good clean. In fact the whole place could do with a clean. The bed and mattress were just shocking. Bed squeaky and mattress really could do with being replaced.
I would honestly think twice about even letting my dog stay in this place.

Room Tip: I cannot really give a tip as my room was terrible. I just cannot understand the good reviews other...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
9 Thank Sally1234_12

Travellers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

Douglas, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2011

Arrived to find that the owner had given Gordon our wrong arrival wrong date. This was despite numerous telephone calls and e-mails.
However the Manager, Gordon soon had us organised and showed us to a room that was very clean and warm.
Parking was limited with only seven spaces but was controlled by Gordon in a efficient manner. He even parked the car for me as i had been given a larger than expected car by the rental company.
It appears the check in and check out times are due to the fact that the manager does everything himself (room changes, breakfast,cleaning the lot). I honestly do not know how he does it.
However we got round this by staying two nights and our room was cleaned even though we got up at 1pm.
Gordon was a mine of information advising us on everything from shopping to pubs that have live music.
The hotel itself is in total need of refurbishment the floor in the bathroom had holes in it and had nails sticking out. The carpet in our room and the dining room could also do with being replaced as the stains just make it look disgusting.
The location was really good but it was Gordon who made our stay exceptional. It is for him that i am making this an exceptional rating.

Room Tip: Ask to speak to Gordon. The owner has no idea what is going on.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Kim P
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2011

Spent a couple of nights here earlier this month as part of my fact finding tour around the British Isles as I like Glasgow.
I am learning with Trip Advisor that the exceptional places are those where everybody or almost everybody thinks a place is great, the bad are those where everybody thinks the opposite (eg. certain run down branches of a well known cheapish national chain) and the rest (often the majority) are those where some say the place is excellent and others terrible. Logically the latter makes no sense - how can places be terrible and excellent ??? Part of the answer of course is that if a place has say 20 rooms no guest stays in all of them and they will differ.

Firstly, the Georgian House is close to inner central Glasgow and though access to its rear courtyard car-park is tight (host directs on first arrival) , for this kind of location in an over 1 million plus city, such secure off-road parking is really rare and translates into money and or time saved (a lot of it from my experience of previous trips to the City). The location is also 2 minutes walk from the circle tube whisking you to the centre and is in upmarket West Glasgow. Of course these Georgian Houses set up and back from the busy road will be more noisy than the kind of rural place I originally booked but that was 9 miles from the centre (thus no good for night life). So yes the place isn't double glazed, traffic only winds down before midnight and starts up again around 7 so don't expect a lie in if in a room at the front of the building. (I always travel everywhere with ear plugs anyway so rarely have problems). Comments have been made about 1 or more of the mattresses needing replacing - I can only speak about my single room and can confirm it badly needed replacing and was uncomfortable - if booking this room suggest checking this with hotel first. Breakfast is not cooked or greatly inspiring (a few boiled eggs wouldn't go amiss) but its OK/decent and there is fruit. The bathroom was very small (think Travelodge, Etap etc. ) so don't expect to swing your arms about you however you do have complimentary WIFI access (an absolute must ) and it works.

So where does this leave us with this apparently excellent terrible place ??? Conclusion - excellent location, secure off-road parking, free WIFI and breakfast and bargain at under £40 compared to comparables - close to busy road (which owner like the other hotels stretched along the road can scarcely do much about) but comfort could be improved by replacing any mattress(es) past their useful life !

Finally a comment to owner - socket in my room was very loose behind chest of drawers (necessary for laptop/hairdryer etc. connection). Luckily because we are NOT in the US and thankfully don't have their litigious mentality, people are unlikely to make a fuss - however as a landlord, I would be unhappy with this (for my own self preservation)- therefore cover needs to be removed, box cemented in , surround retarted up etc. (easy job over 24 hours- have done such things myself). To people reading this by the time you stay in this place such glitches will probably have been addressed.

Room Tip: Any questions/issues check in advance - host is friendly.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

Great hotel made better by the host. Rooms a little bit "tired", but area and location made up for that.
10am checkout VERY early though, and check-in pretty late at 4pm.
All in all, I would recommend.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank irenem72
Girvan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

Excellent-mine host could not have been more helpful.Nice view of the Pavillion in the Botanic Gardens from our window.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Robert S
Pretoria, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2011

My brother and I needed a place to stay in Glasgow for one night and the stay was so enjoyable that we decided to extend our stay to 4 days. Excellent host and great facilities.

Room Tip: Book online. It's easy and the price is great.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends