“Not a good experience” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #32 of 38 Glasgow B&B and Inns
London
“Not a good experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2012

This hotel is well located for Glasgow's West End, and has a great tartan carpet on the stairs. And it is very clean. Unfortunately it's disadvantages dominate, despite these assets. The wifi doesn't work, unless you are sitting at the reception desk, and the owner blame the rainy weather. The breakfast is only just adequate and felt altogether a bit stingy. Getting back into the hotel after 11pm is a real trial - and the owner greets you at breakfast with a loud and very sarcastic comment for all to hear - "You had a late night last night, didn't you?", he smirked. Investing in some new fixtures and fittings and new towels would also help.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MargaretJonesLondon
georgianhouse1000, Manager at The Georgian House, responded to this review, 2 November 2012
We are sorry do did not enjoy your visit.
As was mentioned to you at least four times the WiFi does work however it does require a password. Also a member of staff is available to assist you should you have problems.
Getting in to the property is not difficult. If you use the key provided and guests can freely come and go at any time. As for the comment i made. I'm sure this was a moment of light hearted humour.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

Stayed here one nite in the studio, was a late booking and was lucky to get this room. the whole place is spotless, room spacious, hot water, tv, heating, wi-fi etc. Breakfast is continental with a good selection especially for the price! Would def stay again and recommend, good location also and Gordon is a lovely funny man, most welcoming and attentive but laid back to.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AngieCookie
Halifax, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

Specifically chose this small hotel due to price and it's location. Prior to my business visit to scotland one of my customers said there were loads of trendy restaurants and bars in Byers Road and on Ashton Lane.

At £50 per night for Glasgow city you really can't complain. Gordon was on hand immediately answering my many questions about the local neighbourhood. No two bedrooms are exactly the same as you can see if you visit the hotels website. My bedroom had a good sized flat screen TV and the bed was particularly comfy with lovelly fresh pillows and crisp white linen.

The Hilton is located about 200 yards away so if you're after spa luxury and you can afford that sort of budget fine. However its location is no better and you will get no better welcome than Gordon will give you at the Georgian House.

As for the location, its first class. If you like somewhere with a holiday buzz offering practically every type of food with plenty of trendy bars this is the spot for you.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Tommurphy65
toony
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

We have just arrived back from a 2 nights stay in this lovely quaint old house. It is comfortable and clean with a delightful manager Gordon who sees to your every need. He runs the house as a one mand band very efficiently with a cheery polite mannor and always has a smile on his face. He arranged taxis for the wedding we were attending and even a treat for the Bride and Groom. The continental breakfast was very nice with loads of choice. The house is situated well next to botanical gardens and within easy reach of shops and amenities. It was a very plesent stay.

Room Tip: if you want a self contained quiet room ask for no.7
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank bluepearlToony
London, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2012

From the exterior this hotel looks like it could be a cosy place to stay, this however is very far from the truth.

When we arrived at the hotel we were instantly asked to pay. We were then shown to our room which looked nothing like the pictures. The attendant told us she didn't know it was booked and had been using it that morning. She did apologies for this. The bathroom was dirty and had been used minutes before. This wasn't cleaned and we were expected to take the room as is. The carpet was stained and dirty and one of the cups had been used..

The headboard on the bed was resting against it and broken - which we didn't notice until our return that evening. The shower wasn't working and the doors on it wouldn't close. It looked like it hadn't been cleaned. There was no staff around to speak to about this - I knocked on the "staff quarters" door and waited around saying "hello" to thin air. The next morning at 10:50am there was banging on the door. The manager was telling us to get out as check out was at 10. We said we thought it was at 11 and are just getting ready. He then told us we had to get out by 11.
Following this, I left the room to give the key back to the staff. My partner came with me. There was no hotel staff anywhere. After a few minutes of waiting with me she then returned to use the bathroom. The manager appeared, I said hello and gave him the key and he continued to abrasively tell me how I was costing him money by checking out late as the laundry man came early. I told him that we thought checkout was 11 at which he called me a liar and asked if the room was empty. I was irked at the rudeness of this but responded politely saying that my partner was using the bathroom to which I was given the instruction to "get her out now" and leave. I told him to give her a minute, and then asked if he treated all of his guests this way.

After a pause I then told him about the problems with the room and rather than take these points aboard I was given verbal abuse and threatened. I went to get my partner and as I entered the room, there was banging on the door behind with him shouting for us to get out.
As we left we were met with another stream of abuse.

This was by far the worst traveling experience I have ever had & due to my job as a producer, I have traveled worldwide and experienced all kinds of hotels. Nothing comes close to this. The mannerisms of the staff especially the manager were appalling. The run down state of the hotel wouldn't be so bad if the staff was courteous and polite. You get the impression that you are an inconvenience rather than a customer.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank ProducerM
This review is totally made up from start to finish.
The room was tidy and clean on arrival and the receptionist informed the guests of the check out time. I know this because i was around the corner writing something down for another guest.
This guest was at all times obnoxious and threatening towards female staff members. He attempted to be a bully but was in fact a coward who was aggressive only to females.These guests in fact damaged the room and actually broke the door window on departure(receipt available for viewing).

Travellers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2012

My partner and I booked this hotel for a weekend stay. We are familiar with the city of Glasgow and decided to give this hotel a shot. So so glad we did. excellent location. excellent front of house staff! honestly the most friendly, helpful gentleman at front of house we have ever met. the hotel was lovely and room was immaculate,very homely,comfortable place. we even got the nicest little leaving note from the staff. will definitly be staying again. its a little gem of a place!

Room Tip: All the rooms we passed were beautiful and the whole place was very peaceful.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Elle S
Sydney, Aust
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

Large bedroom, huge bathroom & comfortable bed with nice linen. Tastefully decorated room, nice window view. Good location, walk to town, across the road from Botanic Garden. Manager very friendly & helpful with places to eat, things to do. On the negative side, could do with having some basic repair jobs done. The plumbing (specifically the toilet) was very noisy on flushing and the love seat at the end of the bed couldn't be sat on because the two end feet were about to snap off. Overall, good value.

Room Tip: Room 4 Check if noisy plumbing has been fixed if you are offered this room. One flight of stairs up...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple