“Made to feel very welcome”
Review of The Georgian House

The Georgian House
Ranked #33 of 36 Glasgow B&B and Inns
Maldon
“Made to feel very welcome”
Reviewed 17 May 2013

This was booked by my office, which can be a bit of a lottery but in this instance I came up trumps!

I was met by Gordon who showed me to my room as well as kindly telling me where I could find shops, a place to eat and a free place to park (as my vehicle would not have fitted in the property's free parking.

The Wifi worked, as did all the other facilities and I was aware that he was helping some other guests whilst I was there (something about Krakatoa not erupting, if I recall) so I struggle to understand some of the comments made by other guests. True, it's an old property, but if you want soulless plastic windows, maybe a chain would be more your style? I slept without waking (but that's probably due to having a pure mind).

In addition, the breakfast is ample, clean and fresh and I was offered as much as I wanted. There is also a rather friendly cat there, Smokey, who is probably actually running the place...

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Mike H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2013

Hotel is OK for the price - quite nice decor, and great location. If you do book though, please ask for a room at the back as the ones at the front are extremely noisy, being on Great Western Road - one of the busiest roads in Glasgow, and there is no double or secondary glazing. I had put a review on Booking.com as I had asked for a quiet room but had booked at short notice, and when I arrived - there weren't any quiet rooms. The person who responded on this website was very sarcastic saying "You booked the day before and Surprise Surprise... there were no quiet rooms left. We suggest you book in advance in future!" No need for sarcasm like that considering I didn't even get one hours sleep, and quite often it is not possible to book in advance. I am trying to give a fair review here. I imagine I am not the only one to complain about the noise.

Room Tip: Have put average value due to the noise of the front facing rooms.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
East Kilbride, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Worst hotel and service I have ever experienced in my entire life. Arrived early to be told to move our car from the present position as the receptionist (Basil Fawlty's twin) parked there. Got in at 16.00 to be told the owner was trying to sell and had lost interest and should have ran then but decided to make the best of a bad lot and boy was the room a bad lot. West End of Glasgow was right as were nearly sleeping in the street. Asked for a move to be told they were full and that was his best joke of the day. Still being the eternal optimist stayed for two hours and left.
Think Basil and the no longer interested own we must have written the reviews
Sum up in a word and can only think of one

DUMP

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank John L
georgianhouse1000, Manager at The Georgian House, responded to this review, 25 April 2013
Sadly this couple were not the normal standard of guest we have at The Georgian House(Thank goodness).
They did not complain about any item when checking in even when asked there was a problem.They asked for another room but only on the pretense of some made up illness.They had booked at the last moment so there was no alternative. Could this be why the room cost so little.

This complaint i assume started when they were asked to stop swearing. They also had an attitude and extremly rough appearance and smelled strongly of alcohol (i hope i am building a picture here).These guests also left a strange odor in the room that i am sure could be helped with soap and water.
All in all i am sure potential guests will understand the type of personality that these guests had. How glad we are they will not be returning.

Travellers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

Swindon
Reviewed 30 March 2013

Spent 5 nights here,great service, great location, lovely self contained room, what really stands out for me is the extremely friendly Gordon. Cheap rates too and I really couldn't ask for more! Parking is at the rear of the hotel, easy to find location with lots of places to eat and drink within easy walking distance.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
georgianhouse1000, Manager at The Georgian House, responded to this review, 3 April 2013
Thank you for your kind comments, Hope to see you again sometime.
Reigate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2013

This was our very first night of a tour of Scotland with our little border collie, Megan. We were horribly late because of train delays but this was no problem at all for Gordon. He really was the most wonderful warm welcome we were looking for on our arrival late night in mid-winter Glasgow. Despite the time, he took us through all our options for things to do that night, with good local knowledge of where we could find dog-friendly establishments locally. Nothing was too much trouble and we really felt like we were staying with friends. The room was warm and comfortable and specially selected for us so that we could nip out the back door when Meg needed to go out. Good value and great location, a stone's throw from some very cool nightspots in the West End. We will be back.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gemma R
Island of Malta, Malta
Reviewed 19 January 2013

I stayed here a few months ago with a girl friend to visit another friend of ours. We booked a hotel last minute, never been to Glasgow before and didn't know what to expect. We booked a twin room and it was a very good price.
First of all we arrived late as we drove a long way and the traffic in parts was awful. I called the hotel to say would would be late for check in and asked if there'd be anyone to let us in so late (we weren't hopeful) the man who answered the phone was extremely helpful and kind and personally stayed late just to welcome us and let us in! When we got there we met Gordon, the man from the phone. Well, what a character! There was on site parking at the hotel and Gordon is hilarious. He was so welcoming, showed us to our room, carried our bags, even helped us to park. He told us all about the area, transport, shops, places to visit etc. when he showed us out room we were shocked, it was really beautiful!! We had a double bed and a single bed, huge Georgian windows, beautifully decorated, big bathroom with bath and shower. Couldn't fault it at all. Breakfast was lovely. As described, continental breakfast I closing breads, meats, cheeses, yoghurts, juices etc etc. Gordon even kept the breakfast room open a little longer noticing that we'd slept in a bit. Really couldn't ask for more, ha a great stay. Fantastic service, would definitely recommend it to others and would definitely go back there!! Ps, it's close to lots of cool bars, within walking distance, we really had a great stay.

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank Lucy D
Thank you . Your comments are appreciated.
Bromley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 December 2012

Regularly stay on business trips, always made to feel at home, Gordon the manager could not do more.
Everything to hand locally (bars, restaurants etc)
Rooms are large, clean and most with en-suite, beds comfortable, I would not keep going back if not really happy with the service provided.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank IanBromley
Really kind of you to leave such nice comments . Thank you