“Disappointing. Convenient location to town but room & breakfast fell far short of description on website.”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of The Georgian House

The Georgian House
Ranked #35 of 38 Glasgow B&B and Inns
Kingfield, Maine
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

We arrived later in evening than planned. Had called ahead to notify. Very nice accommodating young man (sorry we neglected to get his name) checked us in & offered to help us with bags etc... & offered suggestions for dinner locations. Good location as it is easy walk to town offerings. Parking very limited here & odd & cars had to be shuffled around to accommodate. The room left a lot to be desired. Mattress was very uncomfortable & in great need of replacement - an antique! Room not very clean either especially the bathroom. Our room faced Great Western Road which was noisy all night. Between the road noise & mattress, did not sleep well at all. Breakfast - a joke! Mostly just cold cereal & toast. Very very little offerings. Coffee making ingredients were empty. Clean dishes seemed to be mixed in with dirty on a serving table. Bizarre. No one was attending to the breakfast either. Same Young man pleasantly checked us out & helped with bags. Would recommend him, but not the accommodation nor would we stay here again. Rank it at the bottom of the 5 places we stayed in Scotland.

• Stayed September 2013
4 Thank pipersbabe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

2 night weekend stay started terribly when we arrived to a man on the phone to the owner who continued his conversation while we were left standing in hall way, he rolled his eyes and made faces whilst on the phone and adjusting himself downstairs (if you know what I mean). Finally when we got to check in and payment was raised I questioned why I was being charged £75 a night when the sign outside said £20 and website said £29.99, as I had reserved through Booking.com I had to pay higher amount (book direct then). Room was okay apart from one of the twin beds mattresses springs had gone, I was sleeping at 225 degree angle with springs in my back. Shower had an old used luffa hanging up and mould around bottom. Only one small towel per person, no hand towel in toilet, had to ask for more. Wifi DID NOT WORK. Both myself and friend could not connect to it. I like to stay in clean, comfortable places so this place was not for me. If you need somewhere to rest your head and you don't mind eating cheese and coco pops for your breakfast then go for it.

Room Tip: Do not sleep at front of house, straight across from bar and club
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank Miaprince

Travellers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

Dunipace, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

Brilliant place to stay, I booked this so we could stay in Glasgow the night of the Robbie Concert, shortly after I placed the booking I got a phone call for Gordon to advise of how our room would be made up (3 people staying) ideal for us. I had a chat with him and he was aware that we were going to the concert, and days before we were due to do I got a call from Gordon to say he had managed to get tickets and did we fancy a lift back from concert to hotel. We met with him as agreed and he ran us straight back. Defo above and beyond what you would expect booking into your big fancy hotels.
Continental breakfast the next day was perfect no complaints there, very nice breakfast room. Our room was clean and ideally situated for us, next time we need a stay over in Glasgow we will definately be back here.
Thanks for making our stay enjoyable.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

Has to be the value for money place to stay in the City of Glasgow, the location just of the Byres Road is great for most of the city attractions and business areas
The place is spotlessly clean and the continental breakfast is worth the effort in the morning.
Definitely be going back.

Room Tip: ask for a room at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank CTHTravelUK
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013 via mobile

Better than hotels twice its price, the Georgian is a great place to stay in the trendy west end of Glasgow. Right next to the Botanic Gardens and Byers Road, it's an unbelievable find. The price is kept low presumably through cheap toiletries and a continental breakfast but its much better than its price suggests.

• Stayed July 2013
Windsor, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

We have just had a very comfortable stay at the Georgian House. The location is perfect, close to the city without being in the hustle and bustle and noise. Our room, on the top floor, was big and spacious and, although a bit old and dated, its was clean. Don't be put off by first impressions or by the sloping floors these are all eclipsed by the exceedingly warm welcome given by Gordon which carried on through the whole weekend with helpful tips on where to go, where and where not to eat and what to do, he couldn't have been more friendly or accommodating. An added bonus is the private parking at the rear of the property which saved us a lot of car park fees.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

It's on the Great Western Road, 100 yards or less from the Botanic Gardens. Tube station and buses (and taxis) all over. Shops and takeaways nearby, including a 24 hour minimarket. So locationwise, it's great.

I was travelling by motorbike and arrived much earlier than the 4 p.m. check-in time. First impressions; this is one of those lovely old houses that Glasgow seems full of. Once upon a time it would have been a house of great elegance. I'd seen from the website and booking confirmation that car parking off the street was available, but limited, and wanted to get my bike in there for safety. Being a terraced house, the only real possibility for a car park was at the back of the house, soon found down a narrow, cobbled street. So I parked up and settled back for a wait of about an hour. After a few minutes, someone opened the back door and asked if he could help me - code, of course, for what are you doing in my car park? I explained I was waiting to check in and he invited me to book in there and then, despite being early.

What a nice guy he is. Helpful, cheery, amusing, loads of information about local facilities, pointing out the kitchen where guests can keep beer / wine in the fridge, heat up food and so on. Breakfast is from 0800hr so I explained I intended to be away by about 0630; he immediately offered to provide fruit, bread, filled rolls or whatever so I could have something before I left. We settled on ham and cheese rolls, duly left, with fruit, in the room while I was out during the evening.

The large, square, high-ceilinged rooms of the original house have been split to form smaller bedrooms. Mine was a single room (Room 2) and yes, it's basic, and yes, the bathroom's a bit tired, but it's clean and functional. The window looking out to Gt Western Road must be about 9 feet high and 4 feet wide; it's single-glazed and a sash window, so as another commentator has noted, it can be noisy. It's helped though by having the original (or original-ish) pitch-pine shutters which can be closed to block light and (some) sound. I have some custom made ear plugs for use on the bike (about £55 and miraculously effective) so noise wasn't an issue.

Regular hotel users should definitely have these. Best £55 I ever spent and great for sorting out noise from traffic, kids, inconsiderate drunks wandering along hotel corridors at 2 in the morning, and noisy people in rooms adjoining.

The bed was comfortable albeit a bit creaky and the sheets and pillow cases spotlessly laundered.

So, what's not to like? Let's see:

>>Friendly, helpful welcome and a load of information (if all Scottish hotels did welcomes like this a good many tourists' complaints would evaporate).

>>A basic, and tired, building but one that's clean, functional and even attractive, AND has car parking.

>>No hassle if you want to bring in your own food and drink, and facilities provided to make it easier.

>>Excellent wifi internet at no additional charge.

>>Great location. Easily found from the motorway, and easy to get back on the m-way again. At the junction of Gt WR and Byers Road - shopping and restaurant heaven for food and drink and just about everything else. You can be in Glasgow centre in 10 minutes, if you want to be (why?)

>>And the bill was £39.

Yup, I'd go back no problem.

(Bikers - beware of the rich variety of sloped surfaces as you manoeuvre your pride and joy into the gravelled car park. Once in, it's not too bad - the gravel's compacted quite well but there are a couple of areas where it could be expensive falling-over time without great care).

Room Tip: Back of the house may be quieter; the Glasgow Council street sweeping truck goes down GWR at about 0...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo