“Fantastic 30th birthday lunch” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cubatas Tapas Bar & Restaurant

Cubatas Tapas Bar & Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Cubatas Tapas Bar & Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #35 of 2,387 Restaurants in Glasgow
Price range: US$13 - US$31
Good for: Romantic, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff
Description: 'Authentic tapas bar and restaurant serving delicious food created by spanish chefs with a focus on bringing you tapas as they really are in spain.' Glasgow's finest spanish restaurant Don't be shy and give us a try!
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic 30th birthday lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

I organised a lunch at Cubatas for my 30th birthday and it was fantastic. We ordered two huge paellas - one Valenciana and one Marisco. They were beautifully presented, absolutely delicious and fed all ten of us perfectly. I can't recommend this restaurant enough. It has a lovely atmosphere and the service was extremely good. We were there until at least 5pm!

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Lou C

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Glasgow
“Excellent food and great value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

We have had lunch here twice now - on the first occasion we had the set menu with 10 tapas dishes between 3 and had far more than we could eat! The second time we chose their special lunch deal (this is great value at £5.95 for 3 tapas and a drink) and again we had more food than we could manage even choosing the selection carefully! All the dishes we have had were excellent. There is a great range of choices with lots of vegetarian and gluten free options. Delicious almendras fritas (fried almonds) and the chorizio fried in sherry was another personal favourite. The staff go out of their way to make you feel welcome and were very attentive. It's a little off the beaten track but would highly recommend seeking this place out and we will definitely be back.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Alijoy23
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Strange combination”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

Spanish,Mexican & Indian ? My question is Why ? I bought a voucher thinking it was Spanish tapas of which I am very fond. I only looked at the menu on the day I was going to discover fajitas along with curry tapas and not that many interesting spanish tapas. It looks lovely and the waiting staff were very pleasant . The food was not to our taste though, we found the dishes very salty and when we could not eat the patatas bravas the owner come out to say he had never had a complaint and this was his regions style. Surely, if you change a dish for a customer they should not be made to feel bad about saying they didnt like something? It was the smallest tapas portions I have ever encountered dont know if that was because we were on a voucher but I would say the house red was lovely and the bread and olives very good quality but I wont be back . So many superior Tapas places in Glasgow that stick to the one country.

• Visited July 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Laineypops01
CubatasGlasgow, Manager at Cubatas Tapas Bar & Restaurant, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear traveller,

Thanks for taking some time and review our restaurant, we appreciate your good words about our bread, olives and red wine. Some positive points are always appreciated.

I remember quite well your visit to Cubatas and not because you didn't like the food (one of our aims, but we don't expect 100% customer satisfaction, that would be not real) but as a matter of fact because it was the first time since we opened that people sitting in other tables told me not to worry about harsh comments because the food (Patatas Bravas in particular) were delicious. That reaction from other customers made my night.

Now, other travelers might be wondering why the other customers in the restaurant noticed your complaint... The answer, as well, might be the reason why you left feeling bad after I went to your table and spoke to you pointing out that the Bravas you were having were cooked in the same way we do in Valencia. My guess, and note I say my guess because it is my humble opinion, is that people already feel bad the moment they take a young waitress and raise their voice when she checks the table to say things like “I have had much better tapas before in Glasgow” and “the Bravas are usually boiled” (which is hilarious if you really had Spanish tapas before) and “this Bravas are from a frozen bag and I can tell you the brand”. Honestly, that would leave me feeling bad too. It will never stop surprising me the change of style of some people when they approach a young waitress instead of the manager, don't you think? It might be difficult to argue with a person who knows what he/she is talking about.

I would like to add that you won't find any restaurant in Glasgow with the same Bravas as ours, and that's actually what make them so special.

Now coming to the main topic of your review and trying to answer your question about WHY???

I can just say we have 62 items in our menu. 54 of them are Spanish. Out of those 54, 37 are typical Spanish tapas that you will find in most of the other tapas restaurants in Glasgow. Now, if that doesn't make our cuisine Spanish I don't know what it will.

As for the 8 tapas from other countries is to create a fusion in the menu, we just don’t eat tortilla de patatas and paella in Spain! but still we don't compel our customers to choose them.

The fact is that Cubatas is a tapas restaurant in Glasgow, so any person who goes to so many other tapas restaurants in Glasgow should know that the same portions are available in other restaurants at a relatively higher price.

In any case I would strongly recommend any person buying a voucher to check what they are buying. Not just the terms and conditions and the small prints but of course what the restaurants are offering. It is quite easy nowadays to go online and check menus.

However, it's sad that you didn't find our food up to your taste, so I would love to hear your suggestions at manager@cubatas.co.uk

Regards,

Cubatas Manager
Walloon Lake, Michigan, United States
“Absolutely amazing food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

My boyfriend and I were bunking at a hostel close by and we decided to go check out the town.
It started raining pretty hard so we ducked in to Cubatas for an early dinner. We were pleasantly surprised by the incredibly friendly staff and fantastic tapas. The food was beyond our expectations and we couldn't get enough.
Thank you for an absolutely amazing meal and experience!!

• Visited July 2014
Inverness, United Kingdom
“Superb food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

Recently visited this establishment and I would highly recommend. Fantastic service from staff who were always happy to help and on hand to find out information regarding dietary requirements.

Prices can't be argued with as the food is beautifully presented and the tastes are superb.

Interior is quirky and modern with a superb atmosphere.