“Not the Ritz but with exceptional staff and excellent value”
Review of The Ivory Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Ivory Hotel
Ranked #23 of 36 Glasgow B&B and Inns
Royston, United Kingdom
“Not the Ritz but with exceptional staff and excellent value”
Reviewed 15 May 2011

If you can look beyond the shabby exterior/interior (refurbishment starting July 2011) you will experience only warmth, friendliness and excellent service from the staff - they were fantastic. We can only compliment the cheff on his excellent food, a breakfast to set you up for the week, never mind a day!! Al la carte menu was superb and cheff outstanding. There are a few shortcomings at present, but these are outweighed by the service provided. Thank you for, what, after some misgivings on arrival, turned out to be a wonderful few days.

Room Tip: Request room not on side of hotel kitchen
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Corby
Reviewed 26 April 2011

Well what can I say .... this hotel may not be the ritz but the staff more than make up for any short falls. The room we had was very large and had a massive bath room - a little tired in places but more that worth the room rates.
We had breakfast both mornings and was a good start to the day - we also ate on the last night in the bar and the food was fab and again the service could not have been better. As we had travelled without tickets to the "old firm" game a quick chat with the barman and we had tickets and also the offer of a lift to the stadium .... what more can I say ..... we WILL be coming back and now when coming to Glasgow this will be our 1st choice.. xx

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
cupar
Reviewed 19 April 2011

Don't believe the photos on their website. It's a horrible place to stay. You have to check in at a noisy bar and walk through the bar to get to your room. Although it was January there was no heat in my room and the telly only had two channels working but, when I complained, little was done to put it right. They were only interested in the bar customers. Breakfast was in a cold conservatory and the dirty dishes were not cleared away from previous customers. No- one came to serve me so I had to go back into the bar to ask if I had to make the breakfast myself. I couldn't believe the cost of a room in this dump.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank bus2Cupar

Travellers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

Zakynthos Town, Greece
Reviewed 28 January 2011

I stayed here on Jan 21.2011. I'd asked for a quiet room as i'm a light sleeper and did'nt want to be woken by passing traffic.Unfortunately, I was also attending my mother's funeral which the hotel also catered for .The room was on the third floor i think , so i did'nt hear anything from outside or from bar downstairs..so it was perfect.
The negative points are the same as another reviewer. Shower difficult to regulate and water suddenly comes through boiling hot.There was also a draught from the bathroom
window and the lighting could be a bit brighter.
Good value with the 2 nights for one!
In saying all that i found the staff very polite and helpful and they made my stay a little easier under my circumstances.
I would definetly stay there again,hopefully for longer next time!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
bamberg
Reviewed 20 October 2010

our room was spacious, 2 beds, tv, very clean, great bathroom with tub. staff was very helpful, restaurant downstairs, great food, also was a sportsbar/pub downstairs, great entertainment! when in our room we didnt hear any noise from the downstairs pub/restaurant! good location, close to downtown, close to busstop. enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed October 2010
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2010

We stayed in a quad room - 2 double beds - and were impressed with the overall size of the room, which included ample storage. The bathroom was pretty tiny but adequate, although the shower comprised a rubber mixer hose from the bath taps which made the temperature almost impossible to regulate. The kids were pretty disappointed that the TV appeared to have only the four terrestrial channels - although TV is not a priority for me in a hotel room. Room was clean, though some attention to detail lacking, e.g. in our room for four persons only 2 bath towels were supplied, 2 tea cups, etc., and the cups were not cleaned /tea,coffee & milk not replenished while we were there (2 nights). Staff were friendly although you get the feeling the residential part of the hotel is not the main focus and sometimes you have to seek out a member of staff. Some difficulties with breakfast, having been told cooked breakfast available 9-10.30 we came down around 9.30 both mornings to find not much left e.g. not enough glasses for juice to cover all our party (and anyone that came after); not enough cereal bowls. On the first morning we waited about ten minutes for the sole member of staff to attend to us/offer tea and coffee etc. He was helpful and friendly and the cooked breakfasts arrived promptly after that, but having just one staff member on is maybe stretching resources a bit too far. You do need to remember that the bar/restaurant aspect of the hotel is important and expect some noise from downstairs in the evenings (we were on the first floor) - this was not exessive though.
Although I've made lots of criticisms, we'd still stay there again but having all those things in our minds. Our stay was really good value (2 nights for one deal) - I would be a bit miffed if we'd paid the full ticket price though. REcommend, with reservations.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2010

Travelled to Scotland for a family wedding. Booked the Ivory hotel as it was very close to the wedding venue. When booking 5 x rooms for one night and a further 3 x rooms for the 2nd night I explained our reason for the visit.
The lady who looked after my booking was impeccable to detail, she offered and arranged for the ladies of our party to attend a local Hairdressers and arranged flowers for us on the day of the event.
For me, who works in a Customer Care environment, the service was exceptional. All staff at all levels were very helpful and accommodating to any requirements we asked about.

The rooms were spacious, clean and very pleasant to sleep in. The food was very reasonably priced with no compormise to detail and quality.

Overall the whole experience was outstanding and I would have no hesitation in fully recommending The Ivory Hotel to anyone planning to visit Glasgow.

A huge thank you from all our travelling party for your assistance and we look forward to seeing you all in the near future.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glasgow
Number 10 Hotel
Giffnock B&B
#1 of 2 in Giffnock
Number 52 Charlotte Street
#20 of 36 in Glasgow

Been to The Ivory Hotel? Share your experiences!