“Dirty Bathroom All For £85!”
Review of The Ivory Hotel

The Ivory Hotel
Ranked #19 of 35 Glasgow B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 July 2011

I stayed in Room No 7. Getting straight to the point - on going into the room there was an over powering smell of sweaty men and bad toilet odours. I opened all windows as much as possible but the room still smelt. The tiles in the bathroom were never wiped there was loads of pubic hair on the wall tiles, human snot and I'm sure loads of other bodily fluids.
The bed clothes were clean and though not crisp ok. The bed itself was cheap and lumpy.
The carpet was dirty and very stained. The carpet had not been vaccuumed either as there were loads of crumbs not of my making.
I had chosen the vegetarian breakfast and it was terrible. The scrambled eggs were over micro-waved, potato bread and hash browns stone cold.

I will not be back, I found this place a complete disappointment pity as I do a lot of business in this area of Glasgow and would like somewhere nice to stay.

Cleaning services here leave a lot to be desired. Wi Fi only available in the bar area and not in the room. Poor value I could not believe room was £85!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
5  Thank sparky-parrot

Reviewed 23 June 2011

Went to the hotel to stay for a night. Have been a few times for dinner etc and thought it was a lovely place to stay as I had a night out in shawlands. The room itself and most hotel staff were very friendly and very nice. Food there is beautiful.
However I returned late from my nightout (around 3am) to find doors were locked. I rang the doorbell on several occasions and chapped the doors - I could see the cleaner however she continued to ignore me. Luckily my boyfriend returned to the hotel earlier so I phoned him to come down and let me in. When he went downstairs he was questioned as to who I was and why I was returning so late. After much deliberation the lady finally let me in. As I continued my walk through the bar lady, the lady asked my boyrfriend "is she staying for breakfast?" Needless to say after that, a very happy night turned into a very bad night ruined my one staff member of the hotel. When complaining to a manager the next day I was told that the lady was quite far on in her age and she is a bit skeptical when it comes to opening the doors for people at that time of night.... still, i was staying in a hotel - I didn't realise there was a curfew, and secondly she accused me of being a hooker. I got a free meal in return for this although I believe it was just to shut me up. Quite disappointed actually and have never been back to visit since.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank hy051105
Reviewed 15 May 2011

If you can look beyond the shabby exterior/interior (refurbishment starting July 2011) you will experience only warmth, friendliness and excellent service from the staff - they were fantastic. We can only compliment the cheff on his excellent food, a breakfast to set you up for the week, never mind a day!! Al la carte menu was superb and cheff outstanding. There are a few shortcomings at present, but these are outweighed by the service provided. Thank you for, what, after some misgivings on arrival, turned out to be a wonderful few days.

Room Tip: Request room not on side of hotel kitchen
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 April 2011

Well what can I say .... this hotel may not be the ritz but the staff more than make up for any short falls. The room we had was very large and had a massive bath room - a little tired in places but more that worth the room rates.
We had breakfast both mornings and was a good start to the day - we also ate on the last night in the bar and the food was fab and again the service could not have been better. As we had travelled without tickets to the "old firm" game a quick chat with the barman and we had tickets and also the offer of a lift to the stadium .... what more can I say ..... we WILL be coming back and now when coming to Glasgow this will be our 1st choice.. xx

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2011

Don't believe the photos on their website. It's a horrible place to stay. You have to check in at a noisy bar and walk through the bar to get to your room. Although it was January there was no heat in my room and the telly only had two channels working but, when I complained, little was done to put it right. They were only interested in the bar customers. Breakfast was in a cold conservatory and the dirty dishes were not cleared away from previous customers. No- one came to serve me so I had to go back into the bar to ask if I had to make the breakfast myself. I couldn't believe the cost of a room in this dump.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank bus2Cupar
Reviewed 28 January 2011

I stayed here on Jan 21.2011. I'd asked for a quiet room as i'm a light sleeper and did'nt want to be woken by passing traffic.Unfortunately, I was also attending my mother's funeral which the hotel also catered for .The room was on the third floor i think , so i did'nt hear anything from outside or from bar downstairs..so it was perfect.
The negative points are the same as another reviewer. Shower difficult to regulate and water suddenly comes through boiling hot.There was also a draught from the bathroom
window and the lighting could be a bit brighter.
Good value with the 2 nights for one!
In saying all that i found the staff very polite and helpful and they made my stay a little easier under my circumstances.
I would definetly stay there again,hopefully for longer next time!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 October 2010

our room was spacious, 2 beds, tv, very clean, great bathroom with tub. staff was very helpful, restaurant downstairs, great food, also was a sportsbar/pub downstairs, great entertainment! when in our room we didnt hear any noise from the downstairs pub/restaurant! good location, close to downtown, close to busstop. enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed: October 2010