“Ok it's shabby but......”
Review of The Ivory Hotel

The Ivory Hotel
Ranked #22 of 36 Glasgow B&B and Inns
Brighton
“Ok it's shabby but......”
Reviewed 16 April 2012 via mobile

I do agree with other reviews that the website photos don't tell the story, however don't be put off by the external shabbiness. We had 3 rooms on the top floor, a family room, twin room and double room. They were all spacious and clean with modern furniture. We ate in the restaurant and the food was good with 2 different types of menus. The staff multi task and were always friendly and helpful especially with our 2 yr old grandson. The hotel is opposite the lovely Queen's Park, great for a walk and there are plenty of shops and restaurants nearby. Would go back if in Glasgow again.

Stayed April 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Having been shown my room on check in, not only was there a stench in the unvacuumed room, but the walls were scuffed beyond general wear and tear. Don't bother staying here. The excuses I got from management upon my complaint were totally unacceptable too, thus suming up the total experience.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank John F

Travellers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

Derry
Reviewed 9 December 2011

where do i start??? firstly the paint is flaking of the walls outside and rust is running down the walls..the main entrance is closed off so you have to book in through the bar which could be doing with a huge renovation...got keys for our room and told we were staying in room 10 so trekked our luggage up 2 flights of stairs (no lifts) in blistering heat... got into our room and nearly died when we seen it... it was nothing like the pictures but we were expecting that when we seen the rest of the hotel.. cream carpet was absolutely disgusting with rust patches from the metal garden furniture... double bed collapsed in the middle... the bathroom tiles were all scummy and had dirty in between them... there was a black outline of a torso on the wall which looked like a murder scene... and the cups they left us to use had lip marks all around the rims... definitely nothing form the pictures we had seen when booking this hotel... staff seemed to do everything... the receptionist was also the waitress and bar maid however they were friendly... the only plus side of this holiday... we came here for a shopping girly weekend and have to admit we did laugh once we came to realise what a dump we actually were staying in... finally to top it all off my legs were covered in bites when i got home and no guesses where the came from!!! i would not recommend this hotel to anyone except the hotel inspector

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank Kelly G
scotland
Reviewed 15 November 2011

Stayed there with a group of friends. On arrival told to go through door to check in area... no one there waited ages then same guy behind the bar came and eventually got us our room keys. Nearly roasted alive with the heat on the stairs. Rooms roasting hot as well first thing we did was open all the windows wide...guess the heating not working properly their heating bills must be horrendous and thermostats on radiators don't work. One of our rooms had a leaking radiator and the carpet was soaking when we complained a man did come up and sort it but the owner thought it was fine to give us a bottle of cheap wine as compensation for a soaked carpet in the room. The bathrooms were ok but the showers did not work at all not able to get warm shower only boiling hot or cold. We were hounded by the bar man on the owners instructions for extra money (supplement) for the rooms our rooms had been pre booked and paid for before arrival and this situation was very embarrassing for the people concerned. The conservatory dining area is filthy, with stained zebra print seats, filthy tables and a distinct lack of serving staff. One poor guy running around daft !! All in all would avoid this place like the plague and we certainly will never be back. On complaining in the morning we were told the owner would phone one of our party to discuss our problem but needless to say no phone call ever came...wonder why????

Room Tip: Avoid the hotel
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank midwifeScotland
Oban, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2011

on arriving at the hotel we checked in and were shown where to go to our room. we had little time to get ready for an evening party we were attenting so were eager to get showered. tryed the lights switches, no lights, two of three lamps worked. went to the reception and someone came up and had a look, he said that he would sent someone up to fix them as there was no other rooms available, we politely told him we dont have time for this and that he will need to come back at 7.30 when we leave and fix them, which he told us he would do. 2 minutes later while i was in the shower someone knocked on the door and said he was there to fix the lights. my partner told him he would need to come back later. this man who was to fix the lights was actually drinking alchohol at the bar upon our arrival, and we were later told he was the 'handyman'.... excellent supervision and management letting the staff drink whilst on shift! Around the bathtub there was black slime, which wiped away easily with some toilet tissue, wouldnt of takken the cleaners long! 2 tiles on the bathroom floor were smashed, one of the bedsheets were ripped on the bed (just aswell the room had 2 double beds), the surface of the bedside tables were stained with some black substance, the room was just disgusting!!! told the barman/receptionist whatever he was about everything when we were heading to the party, all he said was sorry and that they would 'have a look'. party was actually in the hotel also... barstaff we're rude, especially the young blonde one at the end of the night. went back to the room after turned on the lights, yes they worked, but the rim of one of the lights fell from the ceiling, and the light bulb was hanging out the ceiling!! took it down to the bar told them what had happened and the guy told me 'we arent electricians'???? maybe you should send your staff on a course to teach them how to change a light bulb if they are incapable of doing this correctly? in the morning at checkout we were told we HAD to pay the full amount as the manager was away and they didnt have authority to do so.. where was the assistant manager or supervisors who could have dealt with this? dont get me wrong the guy was very pleasant, and gave us the card and told us we could email the manager and probably get refunded some money... how wrong was he! emailed the manager and he offered us a free dinner at the restaurant, as we live 3-4 hours away i doubt very much that we would want this!! and considering the cleaning staff cant keep a room clean how are we to know what state the kitchen is in. we declined this and obviously didnt think it was a suitable 'refund'. stay at this hotel only if you can turn a blind eye to the disgusting rooms and lack of customer service :)

Room Tip: dont stay here!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank 681gillianm
Newry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2011

I stayed in Room No 7. Getting straight to the point - on going into the room there was an over powering smell of sweaty men and bad toilet odours. I opened all windows as much as possible but the room still smelt. The tiles in the bathroom were never wiped there was loads of pubic hair on the wall tiles, human snot and I'm sure loads of other bodily fluids.
The bed clothes were clean and though not crisp ok. The bed itself was cheap and lumpy.
The carpet was dirty and very stained. The carpet had not been vaccuumed either as there were loads of crumbs not of my making.
I had chosen the vegetarian breakfast and it was terrible. The scrambled eggs were over micro-waved, potato bread and hash browns stone cold.

I will not be back, I found this place a complete disappointment pity as I do a lot of business in this area of Glasgow and would like somewhere nice to stay.

Cleaning services here leave a lot to be desired. Wi Fi only available in the bar area and not in the room. Poor value I could not believe room was £85!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank sparky-parrot
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2011

Went to the hotel to stay for a night. Have been a few times for dinner etc and thought it was a lovely place to stay as I had a night out in shawlands. The room itself and most hotel staff were very friendly and very nice. Food there is beautiful.
However I returned late from my nightout (around 3am) to find doors were locked. I rang the doorbell on several occasions and chapped the doors - I could see the cleaner however she continued to ignore me. Luckily my boyfriend returned to the hotel earlier so I phoned him to come down and let me in. When he went downstairs he was questioned as to who I was and why I was returning so late. After much deliberation the lady finally let me in. As I continued my walk through the bar lady, the lady asked my boyrfriend "is she staying for breakfast?" Needless to say after that, a very happy night turned into a very bad night ruined my one staff member of the hotel. When complaining to a manager the next day I was told that the lady was quite far on in her age and she is a bit skeptical when it comes to opening the doors for people at that time of night.... still, i was staying in a hotel - I didn't realise there was a curfew, and secondly she accused me of being a hooker. I got a free meal in return for this although I believe it was just to shut me up. Quite disappointed actually and have never been back to visit since.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple