“Surprised by some negative reviews...my stay was not bad.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Ivory Hotel

The Ivory Hotel
Ranked #23 of 38 Glasgow B&B and Inns
Elgin, United Kingdom
“Surprised by some negative reviews...my stay was not bad.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2013

Was surprised at some of the very negative reviews. Arrived and was treated very well. Bit noisy when you have to go through bar and a local folk group rehearsing 8-) Was in small room at the top and back of hotel. Quiet and very comfortable. Clean. Food that night was excellent - enjoyed the chicken goujons/spicy sauce. Service prompt and welcoming.

Only real negative: They really don't 'get the concept of a continental breakfast 8-) Rather than croissants, rolls etc, lots of fruit and different juices, cereals and yoghurts...there was: a small pack of Alpen, two black bananas, some orange juice. The night porter provided two slices of cold toast and a coffee that reminded me that it's 'Scotland's Oil'.... and this was all on offer 0530-0900hrs. Cooked breakfast not available until 0900-1030hrs which is silly when most meetings for which people come to Glasgow start at 0900!

Recommendations: sort the breakfast. Have cooked from 0730 at least. Needs a much more wider range of things for a real continental breakfast.

Other than the breakfast I thought the hotel was fine; welcoming and I enjoyed staying here. I will be back at the end of May! (I'll bring my own croissants...)

Room Tip: Room 6 at back and on top floor. Small but quiet and away from banging doors during night
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Glasgow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2013

I enjoyed my stay at the hotel. The people were very friendly and made my stay comfortable. I was very happy to be able to let my friend stay the last night, free of charge, because he had to take me to the airport really early and it would've been a hassle to be on time if he were to go home instead. They also still made me breakfast one day when I woke up too late! The hotel itself doesn't look all that fancy at first sight on the outside but the restaurant and the room looked great and were cosy. If my budget allows it and I return to Glasgow, I hope I can stay there again!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Strathkinness, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2013 via mobile

We took my elderly parents and my sister and her husband for lunch. Greeted by pleasant waiter. Orders for good and drink taken timeously. Food arrived well presented and delicious. Each meal is obviously prepared individually and therefore fresh and hot. Prices are good. We were in conservatory which is nice.

• Stayed April 2013
Irvine, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2013

I stayed two nights for a wedding which was local and paid £40 per night. When i first arrived i can agree with one of the recent reviews, its looks like it could go a lick of paint and a good clean but when we got inside and checked in etc. we were happy. We stayed in room 1 and the bathroom was a bit of a downside, as i would say the showers need upgraded, but we were happy with it. Breakfast was good. All staff were nice and the location was great for us. Would recommend to anyone who doesn't see the hotel as the highlight of their stay, but does appreciate a nice place. The website says its a luxury hotel.. i think not, but very decent. Good value!

Room Tip: room 1 looked onto the car park and main road. Better view than some other reviewers and not too noi...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Jersey Channel Islands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2013 via mobile

Just had one night here at a birthday party. It was horrible. The only good thing was that the rooms were quite big. Two double beds in my room. The view was a very messy flat roof and the backs of some scruffy neighbouring gardens. The carpets and curtains were really badly stained. The toilet didnt flush properly and the tiles in the bathroom were broken and cracked with grout missing and black mould patches. The lighting in the room was very dim as you had to keep the manky curtains shut as overlooking houses. One if the bedside lights didnt work. My friends room couldn't even draw the curtains as the dressing table is nailed to the floor or wall and their shower didnt work. Menu was good choice but poor quality.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank nimbustoo

Travellers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2013

Myself and my husband stayed in this hotel for two nights my brother had booked it for us as he arrived there the week before ...to be honest my heart sank when i saw the hotel as we drove up to the entrance but as soon as we walked in the main door our minds were changed very quickly.

The staff were so friendly and helpful we could not fault them at all , the room was huge two big double beds for two people it was great. The room was a little shabby, bad paint work and tiles in bathroom not finished as well as they could of been but it was clean and tidy and the beds were comfy.

Food was really really good we really enjoyed the breakfast it was so tasty and presented very nicely. very relaxed athmoshere. we will definetly be staying at this hotel again. I would recomend to anyone who wants value for money, nice staff nice food and a comfy and clean bed for the night. young couple from ireland :)

Room Tip: corner room was fab!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Enda B
scotland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2012

I invited my friends for my 50th birthday booked them into the Ivory expecting it to be nice and clean but unfortunately no it wasnt.Why cant you have cereal and a cooked breakfast is what i want to no.The hotel has let me down i dont want my friends wasting their money.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends