“Unpleasant smell”
Review of Newton Hotel

Newton Hotel
Ranked #88 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Stayed at this establishment over one night with my partner when going to the Depeche Mode concert. We were greeted (actually ignored) by a surly receptionist who thought it more important to finish watching his YouTube clip than check us in. His repeated demands for ID were also a little over the top, I thought. The room we were initially shown to had a charming outlook over some waste ground - the usual Glasgow scene of broken bottles and fluttering crisp bags - and an unpleasant smell of raw sewage. We were, thankfully, shown to another room on the other side of the building (the surly receptionist had made a mistake). The bed was surprisingly uncomfortable, the room achingly hot and the shower plug blocked.

A restless nights sleep was followed by a breakfast of such poor quality food that I could not eat it (turkey rashers - really?); the hotel service ethic extending to the 'restaurant' staff.

I was going to say that for £50 a night you can't really complain but I have stayed in many other places for much less money and had a hugely better experience. Just feels like they are taking the piss!

Room Tip: Rooms on the road side are below ground level and are noisy - rooms on the other side come with a vi...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jimmy C

Reviewed 7 November 2013

I stayed here in a double room over the weekend with my partner. The location in the city centre is excellent with all the shops, restaurants and bars just a short walk away.
The room itself was clean and comfortable and I enjoyed the breakfast in the morning.
If your looking for a nice comfortable stay with pleasant staff then I would recommend a visit here.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel. It was a cold evening when I stayed but both the room and the bathroom were very well heated and warm. The bathroom was large with a good shower. Biscuits and a hair dryer were provided in the room as well as the usual tea and coffee. The breakfast was a good choice of cooked and continental served in a comfortable dining room. Check in and out was quick and straightforward.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Myself and my partner stayed here for 2 nights but we were nearly put off after reading some of the reviews on here,but luckily we weren't. Of course its not the quietest place ever but the hotel is in the middle of Glasgow,just off Sauchihall Street so what do you expect! We found the hotel clean and our room was spacious and comfortable,there was. 2 comfy chairs and a table by the window. Tea and coffee making facilities,flat screen tv on wall,clean shower room with power shower,everything you need really.Despite being in Room 1 which is right at the main entrance apart from traffic noise(which can't be helped) we slept fine. The staff were all very friendly,welcoming and helpful. John who was on nights was very helpful when we were looking for somewhere to eat. The dining room is downstairs and partner who has limited mobility felt he couldn't manage the stairs first thing in the morning and wasn't going to bother with breakfast but when I arrived alone the friendly waitress asked about my partner and when I explained about him she had a full cooked breakfast sent up to our room for him,which he really appreciated. We wouldn't hesitate go back and are planning to do so soon.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 1 October 2013

i was very disappointed the moment i went into the hotel it says it was family run every worker was polish and 1 scottish man at night they couldn't understand anything i was saying and not very helpful and for the breakfast i would not give it to a stray dog i would rather went to blackpool to waste my money will never stay again or recommend it to anyone the only good thing about the hotel is the location they don't give you time to check out there chapping your door and phoning your room as i was leaving there was a foreingh girl and an asian gentleman at reception i felt the need not to speak to them as they would not have understood me anyway?

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I stayed here for an event at the SECC, which is about 25 minutes walk or 10 in a cab. The west end is about the same and the city centre is walkable.

You get a clean comfortable room with hair dryer, kettle etc and I had no problems at all with it and thought the place was very good value at £40-50 per night.

I heard some concerns about noise, and it is on a busy city centre road - with a combined Chinese restaurant and karaoke place next door, but I slept perfectly well even though I had a room at the front.

I don't eat a cooked breakfast, but friends who did felt it was not very good.

Room Tip: If concerned about noise the back would be best.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights in September.

Having paid £10 up front for parking we were given directions to the 'car park'. This is basically a tiny area of land in a messy overgrown back lane behind the busy Sauchiehall Street near a taxi rank. Better than nothing but very insecure.

After feeling nervous about leaving the car where we did, we moved back round to the hotel and checked in to Room Number 6. Oh my. If only we had known the chaos room 6 would have caused us then we never would have checked in to the hotel in the first place. Throughout the night you could hear the clubs, though this was expected so not an issue. The issue was that from the very early hours you could hear everything in reception. Doors opening, doors closing, the receptionist printing, screwing up paper, pushing buttons on the computer - you could hear every conversation had and no doubt they could hear yours. This resulted in us being 2 very unhappy customers the next morning due to lack of sleep.

We brought this up with reception who informed us that we could not move rooms. We decided to move hotels and whilst searching online for somewhere else,the receptionist knocked and told us she had another room for us.

This room was better, not as clean as room 6, but we slept the night and that's all we cared about.

The biggest downer for us was having to cut our afternoon short as we were so tired we had to return to the hotel to sleep. Only being in Glasgow for 2 nights, it was very disappointing.

So on the whole, I would definitely say avoid the newton hotel. There are several rooms around reception which will all have the same Room 6 issues. However, if you do stay, ask to have a room downstairs.

• Stayed: September 2013