“You get what you pay for”
Review of Newton Hotel

Newton Hotel
Ranked #82 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“You get what you pay for”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Wanted a cheap hotel to stay one night only as I was attending the Commonwealth Games Volunteer Orientation. I will need to travel from London Area to Glasgow a few times in the next few months and the less dent in my pocket the better.
I got what I paid for. £40 got me a room at the back of the building overlooking a grotty courtyard but this meant my night was a quiet one. The room number 19, was small and for single occupancy but aside from no hair-dryer it had all I needed and the bed was a large single. No bath but an ambitious shower (one of those multi spray things that took up half the cubicle) Nowhere to put your toiletries or towel, juggling act with that one and only one towel - no hand or floor towel which was an issue as the cubicle doors were broken and wouldn't shut properly so water was on the floor when I got out the shower. Heat of water also fluctuated.
Had the Full English in the morning and it was passable but not brilliant. Machine for coffee and tea and the ladies serving were pleasant.
When I go away I ask for fresh milk for my room as I hate the little packs. I felt that this service was not available as the gentleman on the desk when I arrived was a bit terse. When I asked if there was a decent steak restaurant in the area he told me that Sauchihall Street was just around the corner and I should look there - not really helpful.
The centre of town is @ 20 minutes walk if you stroll along and Glasgow has interesting architecture so the walk is pleasant. There appeared to be a lot going on in local area pubs and clubs so if that's your thing you wont have to go far.
Lady on the desk in the morning was pleasant. Not sure that I would stay there again though.
Oh and no evidence of a lift and several sets of stairs were needed to access my room.

Room Tip: Room 19 for solo was Ok - dodgy shower cubicle though
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank DebTen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

Good location!!!! Decent price considering the location and considering its proximity to the main city area (George square)... Next time when any of u plan ensure you book a hotel in Scotland with out breakfast... It's waste of money if you are checking in to this hotel.. So many options you get just round the corner that you will not need to wake up early morning between 7 to 9 am for breakfast.... Small room however considering you are a visitor hotel room size should and would not matter... By the time you are back in room you wld be so tired that it may not be worth to look at the size of room...

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed overnight. Staff is helpfull and friendly. Room was clean up and bed comfortable but too small room and not suit for me. Because I am tallest. Nice shower and new stuff. Great location for city and walk to Kelvingrove museum about 15mins. Recommend!!!! I haven't breakfast so missed time. I would come again if give a some biggest room for me. A perfectly cheap hotel!

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Faversham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2014

What we are unhappy about with this hotel is very basic customer service which should be available regardless of the number of stars attributed to the hotel.

We stayed there for 2 nights in a family room (2 adults + 1 child).
The room was clean and spacious enough for a 3 star hotel.
Pillows may as well be non existent as they are so thin! Beds are very uncomfortable.
We were given 2 towels for 3 people and had to ask for more.

Breakfast was terrible. For the first morning, we had agreed in advance with the hotel that we would be early (6.30am when b'fast starts at 7am) as we needed to leave by 6.50am. We had pre-ordered porridge for 1 person and continental for 2 people.
We arrived on time, but they certainly were not: no cutlery available, no milk, no glasses for juice. We had to knock on the kitchen door to chase, to find that the "girl" was busying herself on her mobile phone rather than tending the 3 customers she had.
The porridge was terrible, so liquid it was disgusting!

2nd day breakfast was no better: we were within the "normal" time frame of 7 to 9am, tables were available but not cleared. We sat down, and the same girl as the day before made a half hearted attempt at clearing the table, leaving some plates and bread behind. We had to clear those onto the next table.
Twice did we have to ask for clean glasses, and breakfast was served before cutlery was available! More chasing required...

No offer for more toast, or asking the customer if all is OK.

When checking out, no attempt made at finding out if all was satisfactory (they are probably too afraid of the answers they would get!!!).

WE WILL NOT BE GOING BACK AND WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS PLACE TO ANYBODY!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Delphine103

Travellers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I stayed here in June last year with two friends.

We needed somewhere for one night that was in a good location and cheap.

After reading many of the reviews on here we were really worried about what we were going to be met with.

Was pleasantly surprised when we open the door to our room. We were given a basement room so was expecting it to be dull but it was a big room that felt bright and airy. We had a family room which was a double and single bed. There was also a couple of leather chairs and a small table as well as a decent sized wardrobe and dressing table. Kettle & tea/coffee making facilities were provided.

The bathroom was quite small and had only a shower but this was no issue for us.

Free breakfast was included with they stay but we didn't bother with it.

They can provide limited parking for £5 per night but again this is something we didn't use.

Overall this was a nice friendly hotel. It is in an ideal for shops and bars! We didn't have any issues and would be more than happy to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Kingussie, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We arrived very late due to road closures, the receptionist/night porter initally couldn't find our booking, finally did. Had some minor issues parking in their carpark, but once we were in our room, all was fine. For the price, a good hotel, in the centre of the city, clean rooms (although the carpets could do with a professional claen) and breakfast was lovely & quick. Our bathroom sink kept blocking up, but this was fixed very quickly whilst we were out. Staff were very friendly and efficient. We stayed in room 14, very quiet and bed was super-comfy!! Would recommend that you take your own teaspoon to breakfast, however, as they seem to have a lack of them outside the coffee tray in the rooms! No major complaints from us, a very pleasant stay. For this price in the centre of Glasgow, you couldn't hope for more!

Room Tip: Our room was on the basement floor, facing the street. Initially thought it would be very noisy, but...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2014

i booked a weekend stay for me and my fiancee from 24th jan to 26th jan 2014
and upon arrival at hotel the receptionist was very abrupt demanded payment in full
the so called manager was there and was not helpful at all in any way dumb and silent springs to mind
we were given our room key and told to make own way to room
the receptionist was downright rude,unhelpful,discourteous
upon arrival in room 15 i was aware of the following
oil leaking on back of door and all over hinges,bathroom floor tiles cracked and sharp
the shower head was constantly leaking even when switched off and the most disgusting thing ever seen was
a used ripped duvet being supplied and covered up with a single flat bed sheet
i immediately went to reception and told them i am demanding this is sorted
the receptionist on duty replied yes i will tell manager tomorrow
i said no you tell manager now
fast forward 24 hrs to sat am and after had breakfast which we found disgusting tasteless revolting i went to reception again and demanded the manager get to hotel or else im involving enviromental health trading standards
me and fiancee left hotel for less than 2hrs upon returning lo and behold the manager and a sidekick was in room repairing damage in bathroom ,shower , back of room door
i told the so called manager this place is a bleeding disgrace and is no way in hell a 3 star establishment
his reply was look we are sorting the issues and i will give you a refund of £30.00 i said you are joking aint ya he said no thats all im giving you
after we went out for evening meal elsewhere we returned and upon checking so called repairs
the bathroom floor was in worse state than it was originally
the shower head had been replaced with damaged cracked one and when had shower none of the shower heads worked properly and the large shower head kept jumping from holding area when full pressure was used and hit me on leg a few times
i contacted the reception and told the person on duty this is a bloody joke his reply to me as paying customer was well whats wrong with your room then and i told him i wont be spoken by you towards me in that tone of voice
his tone was condascending ,rude,abrupt,discourteous and i said i want speak to manager on sunday 26th jan 2014 and on sunday 26-01-14 the manager was nowhere to be seen even when we checked out at 10am
as i told my fiancee i dont want stay another minute in this disgusting dump
the receptionist then said by the way we want you to pay a booking fee for staying here
i told her you can sod off i will phone police as your so called hotel is breaking every enviromental law going under the enviromental health acts statutes
she replied im ever so sorry sir you feel this way in a condascending manner
i will ask manager to contact you to resolve this
and it has been 3 days since me and my fiancee left that dump of a so called 3 star hotel and still the bleeding useless manager has never made any attempt to contact me

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple