“Total Rip off”
Review of Newton Hotel

Newton Hotel
Ranked #88 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Booked 2 nights for commonwealth games, arrived in taxi to see a sign outside the door Rooms from £35, we were charged £598!!! Bedroom should have been classed as a single. Double bed was up against the wall so we had to climb over one another to go to bathroom. No room to put anything , no chest of drawer definitely a single. Room at back of the hotel next to the kitchen door where all the staff came in after knocking on the door to be let in. Very noisy. Breakfast , turkey rashers, dry and unappetising, some cereal and a bowl of fruit which was a couple of apples, orange and a banana, not much for a roomful of people. Total rip off.

Room Tip: for the money we paid I would have expected luxury surroundings and better food
Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Stayed for 2 nights. Hotel interior not the worst I have been in. However had room 18 which was at the front of hotel. The double glazing windows did nothing to lower the street noise.Next door to a disco bar so music and noise went on until 4am.Never slept for the 2 nights.Breakfast cold and disgusting.The bacon was turkey rashers. That was first morning second morning decided not to bother with cooked breakfast and just have cerial.My husband ordered poached egg on toast we are home now and he is still waiting! Would not recommend and would never go back.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Stayed a few weeks before the commonwealth games for 5 nights. Room was very expensive but was to be expected considering the timing. We stayed in the first room at the front of the hotel. Service was a bit average and we were disappointed when they came into replace the curtains when i asked if they could wait. girlfriend was still in bed and everyone on the street could see in. We got a phone call for being loud on the phone at 10pm but were woken up at 6 every morning because of the noise in the foyer. Think the night reception forgot we were paying and some customer service is expected. Room was a great size and bed was comfortable. Im sure if we stayed in another room then the experience may have been better.

Room Tip: A room downstairs away from the noise from the street and foyer.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 18 months from february 2013 to the end of July 2014, so I guess I'm a prettty good judge of the hotel. Firstly, this is a centrally located hotel which charges very reasonable room rates and is only a short walk to Buchanan street which is as central as you can get. Secondly, let's make one thing clear, this isn't the Hilton or the Radisson or the mercure or... I can go on. This is a three star guest house/hotel. The rate you pay includes a cooked breakfast. Now, most other hotels will charge you for breakfast as an extra. I know, because on one ocasion I stayed at the Adelade guest house across the road and they wanted to charge me £6 extra a for a cooked breakfast. Now the rooms. I stayed in many different rooms, so here goes. The rooms on the ground floor are noisy, no question about that. You can hear the receptionist talking and this is something that the hotel should address. The lower floor rooms are quieter and well appointed. You get an ensuite bathroom, tea/ coffee making facilities, toiletries and shortbread (always welcome). if I didn't have any of these things, then a phone call to the receptionist was all that was needed. The beds were in most part comfortable, though there was one room where I could feel the springs. All the rooms have Tv's, which worked, albeit, in some of the larger rooms, a larger tv would be more welcome. Now, lets' talk about the WIFi reception. Again this is a free service, some hotels like premier Inn charge you a daily rate to use it, the Newton doesn't. The wifi signal though needs addressing, because on many ocassions the signal would drop and I would have to go upstairs to reception to ask them to reset the router. the problem is the system they have there is not powerful enough to service the hotel. However, i was told that they are addressing this issue, so hopefully, that won't be a problem. I've already touched on breakfast being included, let's talk about that. Yes, there is no bacon. why is that, because there are multifaiths staying at the hotel and probably it's easier to provide an alternative. this isn't really a cause for criticism. For example, someone saying the sausages aren't the best quality. Is that person a sausage expert? It is what it is and they provide a full breakfast and through my 18 months, I've had no reason to complain. Remember this isn't the Savoy. the staff at the hotel are courteous, though, if you are in room 15, you will hear everything in the kitchen from 6am. So perhaps the hotel can have a word with the staff. Special mention to John on Reception at night, who made me feel very welcome and was always happy to chat. Overall, A good hotel to stay at if you want a central location. One comment that was made about the price during the commonwealth games. This was true of all the hotels in Glasgow. Any big event is bound to attract higher charges and is an opportunity for everyone to make extra money, luckily it was only for 10 days. Would I recommend this hotel, definately, if you can live with ocassional noise and wifi issues. Just don't think you're coming to stay at the Savoy.

Room Tip: Lower ground floor rooms or ground floor rooms away from reception are best. Best Wifi is available...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 August 2014

There was a group of us staying so we had booked out 6 rooms .... We were at the kings theatre so was very central ...
Only cost £30 per night single room and a few friends were sharing a double at only £50 ... Was clean enough ... Staff very friendly .... Our rooms were to the back so not too much noise !! We also parked in the multi storey car park which only cost £6 from 6pm til the next day as we had read previous reports about it being wasteland at rear !! Overall all cheap and central so did us fine !! Also read about the turkey rashers so we were prepared !! I thought the breakfast was good enough considering the value of the room :)

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We booked well ahead of time and naturally above the standard rate due to the games. As our stay approached I had read the mixed reviews and was unsure what awaited.
Not as bad as some have suggested but not great value either. The price outside was probably a better reflection!
Clean towels,toiletries and water were the positives. Strange breakfast choices and tiny dining area the negatives. What is wrong with bacon? Turkey strips ,,fried????? Awful!
Hit and miss with the rooms! We were a group and our room was OK but our friends was tiny and the morning staff chatting at 6 am and smoking was not conducive to a pleasant stay.
It served a purpose.
I'm not sure what could physically be done with it, but the breakfast CAN be dealt with!
Go on Newton some decent bread ,fresh coffee/tea croissants, and lovely BACON. That at least may help the ratings

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 July 2014

With limited choice because of the Commonwealth games and short notice, we chose Newton Hotel but at an incredible price @ £299 per night! My view is this should be a £20-40 a night hotel and is comparable to a travel lodge.

Firstly the room we was given was on the ground floor next to reception - the walls are about 2cm thick and we could hear the security guard all night and morning talking, people in, people out!

Secondly the room wasnt cleaned properly - hair on the toilet bowl..

Thirdly the shower drained so slowly that you could only spend about 5 minutes in the shower before the shower tray would start to overflow.

Fourthly the breakfast was abysmal - the sausages were probably the cheapest you could find in a supermarket and the bacon wasnt bacon.. it was turkey strips?!

To end on a positive note, the hotel is well located and the staff were pleasant..

Room Tip: Do not choose rooms 5 or 6.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple