“Flipping excellent”

Price range: US$20 - US$30
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: City Centre
Description: Red Onion is situated in the heart of Glasgow City Centre. The Chef/patron, John Quigley started his career in London’s West End where he quickly established himself and gained a reputation for excellent casual gourmet dining. He then took the opportunity to travel the world as a private chef to many rock stars and celebrities such as Bryan Adams, Tina Turner and The Bee Gees. In 1996 John decided to move back to his hometown – Glasgow to put down roots. In the past 9 years John has opened and established numerous successful restaurants which have achieved international recognition. This year John, along with his wife Gillian, decided to open their own restaurant – Red Onion. Red Onion is open 7 days a week serving food all day from 10am. It is a contemporary casual dining experience that offers something for everyone. John believes in using all the finest natural local produce and combining them with many ingredients and flavours he has experienced on his extensive travels around the world
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

We visited this resturant without seeing any reviews just walked past and got a cancellation

As a coeliac and lactose free it's extremely difficult to find someone who caters for every need
John came out of the kitchen and went through every course with me
It was a privilege eating there

Write a ReviewReviews (1,180)

Reviewed 26 March 2014

On a short trip to Glasgow I revisited the Red Onion. I had the same starter,Scallops, Chorizo and Tomato. Still as good as when I first had it.
A great fish cake followed.Decent wine list,really good value.

Reviewed 18 March 2014

This was my first time in the Red Onion and based on Monday's meal I will definitely be back. I had the Garlic and Thyme Roast chicken followed by the Vanilla Cheesecake. The chicken dish was excellent with great flavours, lovely rosti and a superb black pudding and curly kale. The vanilla cheesecake and caramalised bananna was also superb. The service was good and overall the place had a nice relaxed atmosphere.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

a very pleasant evening. The onion soup is excellent and my steak was excellent. I had the special of the day but my friends all ordered from the a la carte They all enjoyed their meals as well. The prices are reasonable and the staff very friendly. I would definitely take clients there again.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

We dined on a Tuesday evening and the restaurant was not particularly busy, but the food was as good as ever. I have dined a few times over the past 3 or so years and have always had an excellent meal and would not hesitate to recommend it to others.

I had the seared scallops to start with followed by the sea bream, while my friend had the Bang bang Chicken and Monkfish, we both had no room for desert but had one anyway followed by coffee

The only reason I am not handing out the 5 star award is that the service was a bit strange, we were greeted and given our choice of tables, but when our wine arrived they took away all the cutlery and napkins, then on arrival of the starters we had to ask for cutlery which they brought but no napkins, again this was sorted by catching the waiters attention, and then it was the same when the main course arrived, however this time we did not wait to find the waiter again but removed them from the table next door to us, had the restaurant been busy I could have overlooked this but it was fairly quite.