“One of the nicest meals I've had in Glasgow!”
Review of City Merchant

City Merchant
Ranked #189 of 2,653 Restaurants in Glasgow
Price range: US$16 - US$48
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Scottish
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: City Centre
Reviewed 29 August 2015

I've been up in Glasgow for the week househunting, so have eaten lots of meals out and this was a real highlight. I was staying nearby, and wandering in circles looking for a simple restaurant, rather than a trendy wine bar (had got a bit bored of those).

I happened to walk passed City Merchant, it looked inviting from the outside, so thought I would give it a try. What a great decision! The lunch menu was very reasonably priced, 2 courses for under £10. Plus this included a selection of specials: soup / mussels / fish of the day. I had the mussels, sea bream and pannacotta all delicious.

Service was quick, staff were friendly & attentive - you could see they took pride in their work. Food was yummy, reasonably priced, a flawless dining experience.

Jennifer A, General Manager at City Merchant, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2015

Many thanks for your fantastic five star review and your kind comments. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your lunch with us and found it to be one of the best meals you've had in Glasgow and a flawless dining experience.

We look forward to welcoming you again once you have settled in Glasgow.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,051)

Reviewed 28 August 2015

The restaurant is right in the heart of Candleriggs, a trendy area for bars and restaurants. Inside is nothing special, a warm surrounding but staff were cold and distant. Was it because I asked to have the £50 for two, two courses advertised on their website? I hope not.

The al a carte food is good but very expensive and the pricing inappropriate, if like me you don't mind forking out for a great meal I'm sure you too would resent paying £3.50 for a garlic butter sauce to go on your £27 steak.... clearly cause for a complaint!

There's plenty of choice in the area, I'd look elsewhere if I were you.

I am disappointed to read you comments in your recent review, in particular what you refer to as inappropriate pricing, which I totally disagree with. All our steaks are supplied by John Gilmour butchers who provide top quality 35 day aged produce, I don't think that £26.50 for a fillet steak of that quality is overpriced and having looked at similar establishments to ourselves I would say we're are competitively priced.

The sauces that may accompany the steaks are charged as extra £2.20 not £3.50, the steaks have been priced without the sauce, leaving the choice with the customer.
The sauce you requested was not on the menu, but we accommodated your request. This was later deducted from your bill due to the fuss that you made about having to pay for it as we didn't want to argue with you over £2.20. My staff have told me that you were quite aggressive towards them and perhaps that was why you found them to be cold and distant. As you will see from the vast majority of our reviews one of the most overwhelming comments is about the friendly and attentive staff.

The final comment I would like to make is that the menu is clearly priced and there are many dishes that are more affordable for the price conscious customer.

Reviewed 17 August 2015 via mobile

Haven't been for a few years, so when we walked by we thought we would stop for a wee bite. A large plate of langoustines, whole lobster, chips, a bottle of wine & a gallon of garlic butter later we were very satisfied.

It's good, you should go.

Jennifer A, General Manager at City Merchant, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2015

We are delighted to read that you were very satisfied after your "wee Snack" and felt it worthy of a five star review. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 16 August 2015

Have been a few times at lunch and dinner. The set lunch menu offers good!or value with tasty food on offer. The fish is especially good. The a la carte menu gives good variety with the emphasis on fish dishes although the steaks are excellent too. An extensive wine list too which enhances the good food. Well worth a visit and I'm sure you will not be disappointed.

Many thanks for giving us a five star review after your recent meal with us. Your comments are greatly appreciated and thanks for highlighting the wide selection of food and wine we have to offer. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 16 August 2015

great foods yet again, steak was cooked to perfection, atmosphere always goods and waiting staff attentive and polite

Thanks for taking the time to post your 5 star review, it's great to read that your steaks were cooked to perfection and you found the food fab. Hope to welcome you again soon.