“Excellent food and service ”
Review of City Merchant

City Merchant
Ranked #210 of 2,621 Restaurants in Glasgow
Price range: US$16 - US$48
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Scottish
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: City Centre
Reviewed 17 February 2016 via mobile

This is my favourite restaurant. The food is so fresh and I've never had a bad meal here. The staff cannot do enough for you, the boss showed me how to eat langustines properly! They are so accommodating they will add things/ take away things you don't like. Cannot rate them highly enough! This is also the only place I will eat oysters, lovely, fresh and they will show you the best way to eat them

Jennifer W, General Manager at City Merchant, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2016

Many thanks for your amazing five star review, it is very rewarding to read that we are your favourite restaurant and the only place you will eat oysters, high praise indeed!

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,023)

Reviewed 17 February 2016

I find a "fishy" meal prior to a Thursday evening concert in Glasgow City Halls is just right, and where better to have such a meal than directly opposite the venue?

We've never been disappointed in the service, quality or value of what has been on offer, and I'd especially recommend the mussels - and the bream when available - but best to book well ahead as a lot of folk are "in the know".....

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your fantastic review and for highlighting our proximity to the City Halls, as you say we are an ideal venue.
Your compliments and recommendations are most welcome.

Hope you'll dine with us again soon.

Reviewed 17 February 2016 via mobile

First time at this restaurant, we had a voucher from Christmas to use and we both loved it. Service was great, the atmosphere was very cosy and the food was delicious. The bottle of Red included in the deal didn't Taste cheap. After a starter & main there was absolutely no room for pudding. We only paid for the starters & bread for the table on this deal, the least amount we have paid for a great meal out. We will be returning. I recommend the Seabass!

Many thanks for your review after your recent meal with us, I am delighted you were able to sample what we have to offer using your Itison voucher and that you were impressed enough to return again in the future.

Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 16 February 2016 via mobile

Returned to City Merchant after a lengthy absence of a few years. Booked via 5pm site which offered a terrific pre theatre deal and we got a free glass of wine each by booking through them. In the end we plumped for the a la carte menu as we were celebrating my birthday. All our choices couldn't have been any better or tastier. Fantastic surf and turf - I went for the fillet steak with langoustines which were perfection. Mum had venison done two ways and thought it was delicious.

A great seat by the window meant we could watch all the comings and goings of Merchant City. A warm welcome and generally good service. Only reason I didn't give them 5 stars was because one of our young male servers was just a bit too arrogant and could've learnt a bit from his fellow male colleague who was very pleasant. He was a bit bossy in telling mum she couldn't mix and match a starter from the pre theatre (unusual) even though we were spending a lot more than through that menu by ordering via a la carte. He also whipped our side plates away even though we'd ordered bread, causing extra work for his pleasant colleague.
But his inexperience and brusqueness didn't overshadow our evening. We had a lovely time and will definitely return.

I am delighted you chose to dine with us again after a lengthy absence and that you enjoyed your birthday meal. I will certainly address the matters raised, but I am pleased this has not put you off returning.

Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 15 February 2016 via mobile

An absolute gem of a place. Always a warm welcome and the best ingredients cooked perfectly.
If seafood or steak is your thing don't hesitate in trying this fantastic place. And they do a mean desert too!

Many thanks for your perfect review, you kind comments and recommendations are very much appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.