“Great value lunch.”

Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Scottish
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: City Centre
Reviewed 24 February 2016

Booked lunch via 5pm.co.uk. Lunch menu was varied and the choices we made were very well presented and very tasty. The wine included in the booking was excellent. Service professional and friendly. Would definitely return.

1  Thank Calderglen
Jennifer W, General Manager at City Merchant, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2016

Many thanks for posting a five star review after your recent lunch with us, your kind comments are much appreciated.

Hope to see you again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,023)

Reviewed 22 February 2016

The food was passable.
The price surprisingly high.
The service blindingly fast. Clearly they want all the diners out of their hair by 8 or 9 at the latest
I returned a dish of unpleasant burnt tasting chips. My guess is tired, over heated oil was used to cook them.
When paying, the card machine was handed to me open at a screen asking me how much gratuity I intended leaving. With the option to enter a value, and then select Yes or No.
I find this incredibly rude, presumptuous and cynical. I'd already decided to leave a cash tip (spending the Scottish notes) and in retrospect wish I had not

1  Thank NickDidThat

I'm sorry to read that you didn't enjoy your recent visit to City Merchant, it is certainly not our intention to make our customers feel rushed and as the kitchen is open until 10pm it is unreasonable to assume the staff wanted you "out of their hair" by 9pm.
With regard to the credit card machine, it is general practice for many bar's and restaurants to offer the gratuity option to those guests who wish to leave a tip and don't have any cash. For those who don't it's easy enough to select the no button and continue with the transaction.
I'm glad you had some use for your Scottish notes.

Reviewed 19 February 2016 via mobile

Called here mid week and had a first class meal with attentive but not intrusive service. The scallops were outstanding and the cod was fantastic. You honesty cannot fault this place. I shall definitely be visiting here again shortly.

Thanks very much for your first class review and for highlighting the fantastic food and attentive service.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 17 February 2016 via mobile

This is my favourite restaurant. The food is so fresh and I've never had a bad meal here. The staff cannot do enough for you, the boss showed me how to eat langustines properly! They are so accommodating they will add things/ take away things you don't like. Cannot rate them highly enough! This is also the only place I will eat oysters, lovely, fresh and they will show you the best way to eat them

Many thanks for your amazing five star review, it is very rewarding to read that we are your favourite restaurant and the only place you will eat oysters, high praise indeed!

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 17 February 2016

I find a "fishy" meal prior to a Thursday evening concert in Glasgow City Halls is just right, and where better to have such a meal than directly opposite the venue?

We've never been disappointed in the service, quality or value of what has been on offer, and I'd especially recommend the mussels - and the bream when available - but best to book well ahead as a lot of folk are "in the know".....

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your fantastic review and for highlighting our proximity to the City Halls, as you say we are an ideal venue.
Your compliments and recommendations are most welcome.

Hope you'll dine with us again soon.