“Faultless as usual”

Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Scottish
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: City Centre
Reviewed 27 February 2016

One of our favourite restaurants in Glasgow. From the friendly attentive service to the great fresh ingredients used to create a faultless meal. Plus great value for money. Can't recommend highly enough.

Jennifer W, General Manager at City Merchant, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2016

Thanks very much for your amazing comments and recommendations in your recent 5 star review. It is great to read that we are one of your favourite restaurants a fantastic accolade given the growing number of restaurants in Glasgow, we very much appreciate your custom and look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,023)

Reviewed 27 February 2016 via mobile

We had been given a voucher as a xmas gift and decided to visit on a Monday night,worried that it might be quiet,no need place was busy and had a great buzz about it.We had never been before,but wow I will definitely be in a rush to go back,the food was absolutely delicious and the service so warm and friendly.
I love when I find a new wee gem and we will be back soon,well done city merchant!

1  Thank stephs_10

Many thanks for your glowing 5 star review after your 1st visit to City Merchant. We are delighted you had a delicious meal with warm and friendly service and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 24 February 2016

Booked lunch via 5pm.co.uk. Lunch menu was varied and the choices we made were very well presented and very tasty. The wine included in the booking was excellent. Service professional and friendly. Would definitely return.

1  Thank Calderglen
Jennifer W, General Manager at City Merchant, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2016

Many thanks for posting a five star review after your recent lunch with us, your kind comments are much appreciated.

Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 22 February 2016

The food was passable.
The price surprisingly high.
The service blindingly fast. Clearly they want all the diners out of their hair by 8 or 9 at the latest
I returned a dish of unpleasant burnt tasting chips. My guess is tired, over heated oil was used to cook them.
When paying, the card machine was handed to me open at a screen asking me how much gratuity I intended leaving. With the option to enter a value, and then select Yes or No.
I find this incredibly rude, presumptuous and cynical. I'd already decided to leave a cash tip (spending the Scottish notes) and in retrospect wish I had not

1  Thank NickDidThat

I'm sorry to read that you didn't enjoy your recent visit to City Merchant, it is certainly not our intention to make our customers feel rushed and as the kitchen is open until 10pm it is unreasonable to assume the staff wanted you "out of their hair" by 9pm.
With regard to the credit card machine, it is general practice for many bar's and restaurants to offer the gratuity option to those guests who wish to leave a tip and don't have any cash. For those who don't it's easy enough to select the no button and continue with the transaction.
I'm glad you had some use for your Scottish notes.

Reviewed 19 February 2016 via mobile

Called here mid week and had a first class meal with attentive but not intrusive service. The scallops were outstanding and the cod was fantastic. You honesty cannot fault this place. I shall definitely be visiting here again shortly.

Thanks very much for your first class review and for highlighting the fantastic food and attentive service.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.