“Gorgeous lunch”

Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: City Centre
Description: Inspired by the works of Glasgow’s greatest artist and architect, Charles Rennie Mackintosh, you can enjoy tasty, traditional foods in a unique setting. At 97 Buchanan Street we have our White Dining Room and the Chinese Blue Room. Breakfast, morning coffee & loose leaf teas, lunch, light snacks, afternoon tea, cakes and scones - choice is yours. All served all day every day, no need to book. Looking for a range of gluten free, vegetarian or vegan options - then our Miss Cranston’s Free From Menu is for you. Our younger visitors have their own menu and their own afternoon tea.
Reviewed 3 November 2017

Lovely friendly atmosphere at this super tearoom in Buchanan Street, Glasgow. We were a party of 3 and we all had something different and it was all first class, from the soup to the scrambled egg, bacon and toast and the open prawn sandwich. Our cakes(strawberry tart, meringue and fruit slice) were all luscious. We will definitely be back again on another trip to this city. Lovely staff, very pleasant and helpful. Worth every penny.

Sheila P, General Manager at Willow Tea Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post such a lovely review of your recent visit. We appreciate you taking the time to do this and hope that you will come back again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,204)

Reviewed 29 October 2017

Having heard and read lots of reviews about this place we booked for Afternoon Tea during our recent weekend in Glasgow. What a disappointment..........

It started with our arrival shambolic would be a good place to start sadly about 15-20 people standing in a tiny room having walked off the street looking for a well deserved cuppa. When we finally managed to get attention of the one person at the front to say we had booked we were then left standing for a further 10 minutes before being told our table was ready - no one to show us where and after fighting our way through the crowd and hearing lots of complaints about how we were getting seated by some who had been waiting for a table we were simple told we were upstairs so up we went to a very sad, very squashed room with tired furniture that had definitely seen better days and not the gorgeous Rennie Mackintosh chairs you see when you look on their website eventually finding someone to show us to a table that was unfortunately placed So when anyone wanted to serve a table or patrons wanted to visit the rest room they had to squeeze past us.

Our waitress although pleasant and polite left us a menu and didn’t expalin what we needed to do until we pointed out that we had in fact booked an afternoon tea when she simple told us that we had to choose what we wanted to drink and one cake each which we did and a few minutes later we received our drinks then about 5 minutes after that out she came with a cake stand holding 4 tiny sandwiches each, 1 scone each with a pot of jam and a pot of clotted cream and the cake we had selected.

I am sorry to say that this was definitely not worth the £12.95 each - disappointed is an understatement

1  Thank MsMoS
Reviewed 29 October 2017

The setting is lovely and it was a great place to sit and read my book. The poor standard of service meant that there was plenty of time to read. The food was uninspiring, though I didn't have a pudding, which might have been better, as I gave up having asked to see a menu again twice. At the end of the visit, I had to go and find the waitress to pay. It was only my honesty that stopped me walking out without paying- no one would have noticed! This feels like a place resting on its laurels that needs to raise its game in both service and food.

1  Thank Sara A
Reviewed 27 October 2017 via mobile

Popped in this morning on our way to the train station for some brunch. A lovely welcome and helped with our bags to our seats.
My friend had the scrambled egg, smoked salmon and roast and I had French toast, bacon and maple syrup, all freshly cooked and delicious
Not that we needed it but we couldn’t resist the sight of the meringues and we were not disappointed! They were probably the best we’ve ever tasted, beautiful light and crispy on the outside with an amazing chewy caramel centre.
We will definitely be back

The only thing I would highlight is that it’s not super fast service, it’s a place to go and enjoy, not for when you’re in a hurry.

Sheila P, General Manager at Willow Tea Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2017

Thank you for your recent review, I am glad you enjoyed your meal and also our signature meringues which are delicious. I hope you will visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 26 October 2017

I had told my friend how nice it was in this tearoom having had a nice enough meal a month ago. We went in the girl serving us was very bubbly but think she must of gone for her lunch as two others were left ,took us ages to get different things that should of been on the table in the first place .
Our meal was not nice I think the scramble egg had been in the pot since breakfast it was cold and rubbery the bacon was hard and cold I left one slice that looked black so I never ate it , I did complain and never got charged but I would of liked to have eaten my lunch. The meringue were lovely though . I will go back and try again as I do hope the chef just had a bad day .

1  Thank lizgriffin

Been to Willow Tea Rooms? Share your experiences!