“Bad Experience! ”

Ranked #29 of 38 Glasgow B&B and Inns
Inverness, United Kingdom
“Bad Experience! ”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

I was on a course for 5 days, at this guesthouse. It was recommended to me from the place I was doing my course. I had phoned got a price which I was happy with, as all I was looking for was a small cheap room to study. I was told I would have to share a shower. That was fine with me price was agreed over the phone.
Two weeks later I headed off, phoning to confirm address being nearly 4hrs away. Having arrived I checked in the receptionist telling me how other people kept thinking his boss sounded like a woman. He then asked me for the money up front for the time I was staying. I paid it, a bit surprised by this. After signing in I was told the price had just gone up 100% in which I was now going into a room with 2 beds and a shower. If I did not pay this I would not be allowed 2 stay in the guesthouse. Having just paid £150 I was forced 2 write an I o u for the rest.
The room had old sheets ie had not been changed no toilet roll and I could hear the receptionist talking about me to other people. The breakfast was greasy, also my room was beside the diner hall which this person started at 0530 to set up. Also I had to leave my room key as I was told they had only one.

Next day I told the company I was doing the course with who apologised to me as tb3y have stopped using this place due to complaints they were receiving. This company apologised and put me up in another hotel. After I finished my course and went home I discovered they had taken another £157 out of my credit card even though I only stayed 2 nights. Currently I am in dispute with them. After my experience here I will only go to a hotel once I get the price confimed in writing.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank free264

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed at Onslow Guest House this weekend to spend time with family for Christmas who are spread all over the country. An amazing stay! Great accomodation, the most comfortable bedding, amazing breakfast and service second to none... will be staying again!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

Rooms terrible, service worse than the rooms, breakfast greasy and tasteless,the person running the bnb was the worst host ive ever encountered, cheeky , unpleasant and dont touch the remote for the tv or he will turn it off and make you watch tv in your pit of a room, enough said i think, coffee machine is good tho .

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank Paul D

Travellers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

I stayed here for 3 weeks and it just got worse and worse. I was in a little box room above the kitchen that was so noisy I was going to work like a zombie! I came in from work when the room had been "cleaned" and the windows were wide open with no heating on (December in Scotland isn't warm)
The wee man who runs it told me to go to my room if I wanted to watch the football coz the tv in the guests area was his rules,he turned it off at half 7 and took the remotes to his office.
Other than that,you get free tea or coffee,get in there!!!!!!

• Stayed December 2013
4 Thank SWBrown9753
Belfast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

I have stayed here on two occasions for four and then three weeks. The bad reviews on here are generally about booking issues but those who stay rarely fault the place. The value for money is excellent as the place is spotlessly clean and the breakfast is amazing. The free coffee machine was a great bonus, much better than the usual sachets and uht milk. Tony and John are both very personable and go out of their way to assist guests. They had plenty of repeat customers in the time I was there and fellow guests were very happy. Also they are the most pet friendly b and b I have stayed in. So if you want a good, reasonably priced clean B and B within a few minutes of the centre of Glasgow and an amazing breakfast then you'd be mad not to stay here :)

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
tony2glasgow, Manager at Onslow Guest House, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Hi customer booked a en-suite we quoted the price he was happy then the customer phoned 2 hrs before arriving can I get the address we gave him it and when he arrived we showed all the facilities and ask can you fill in the booking form we asked the customer how would you liked to pay for it he said card we told him the price what we quoted him 2 weeks ago he goes sorry but I have not got enough funds to pay for all the accomodation can you give me a cheaper room we told him we have no other rooms available so after 15 mins he gave us some money then he said he would give the rest next day we said that is fine we made him sign a letter which he did then next day we asked for a payment he said I will give you when I check out we said no sorry you agree in the letter You would pay then he got angry and walked out and said I am going to make a complaint on your website we tried helping the customer but he would not listen we told him you booked the room for 5 nights company policy we take payment up front and we won the case about the dispute thank you.
Glasgow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

Read some negative reviews about this Guest House, but certainly hasn't been my experience,
an excellent Guest House run by warm and friendly staff.
A professional and courteous greeting is given to all and you are immediately made to feel at home.
The premises are immaculate throughout and maintained to a very high standard.
Every effort is made to ensure that guests enjoy their stay and plenty of Glasgow patter available on request if that's what your looking for. If not the staff are experienced enough to accommodate and present the right " mood " to suit all tastes.
Competitively priced and definitely value for money.
I see some negative reviews about the Guest House and can only speak from my own experience. I was recently visited by Business associates who were complimentary about the standard of rooms/premises and I would recommend and return without hesitation
For me late 2013 has been a thoroughly enjoyable experience.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at on slow house on several occasions every time there was problem with the booking ! Double booked cancelled room ! Different prices ! So this last time I had call on the morning I was due to go there to be told that the room I had booked for two nights the previous week was not available and had to go in other room without ensuite for the first night ! I was not happyand made this clear to John ! Or was it tony ! It's a shame as everything is ok at this guest house lovely breakfast ! But when I got into bed that night there was blood on one of the pillows which was disgusting ! I won't be going back to on slow house anytime soon and hope this review makes John and tony step up there game !

• Stayed September 2013