“Weekend break”

Ranked #75 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Weekend break”
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Decent enough quality for the amount of money paid but disappointed with there being no separate bathroom, instead, a shower cubicle in the middle of the room. We were also disturbed early each morning by housekeeping before check-out time which was unacceptable.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Robert I, Manager at Hotel ibis budget Glasgow, responded to this review, 15 March 2014
Thank you for your comments, we can assure you that the matter is being looked into and will be dealt with accordingly.

Our rooms are very basic so we can keep the costs low and pass on fantastic rates for our guests.

Duty Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Edinburgh
Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with my wife on 11th March as we were seeing a show in the Hydro (which was a short walk from the hotel.) Room was basic and had a double bed and a single bunk. Bed was not particularly comfortable but seems to be a theme across the ibis brand, would recommend bringing your own pillows if possible. Room was very clean and had a good shower.

Would recommend hotel to anyone that is visiting the hydro that is on a budget. Stayed in better budget hotels but for £25 (15% if you book more than 15 days in advance) you can't complain!

Will return on next visit to Hydro.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit. I look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2014

...the problem with budget seems to be that the staff don't seem to be incentivised to try to make your stay any better than budget. The attitude seems to be "you get what you pay for".

For example, trying to find a member of staff on reception in the mornings was impossible. There is no cold drinking water at breakfast unless you ask (and when I asked someone lurking behind the bar, they skulked off without any explanation and I had to ask the receptionist who finally swanned up several minutes later who, needless to say, didn't know that I had asked for water).

The cleaning staff also seem to go out of their way to get in your way - there is a lift specifically for them which they don't use, and they hold the lift while waiting for their friends to get in, before dancing about in your way again when you get out of the lift.

My bed wasn't made on Thursday at all, but I don't know why - I don't think the cleaning staff came in to my room at all. The choice at breakfast was disappointingly poor - some days, there were no rolls on offer and I think it must have been the responsbility of the non-existent receptionists to clear away the breakfast dishes, as one morning I went down and every table had dirty dishes on it. Not brilliant!

I suspect that these problems lie with the management of Ibis, but whether this is just for this hotel or the Ibis Budget brand generally, I am not sure.

Also, the location of the hotel wasn't great for walking back from the city centre - it's not good in the dark, although I have seen worse. It is next to an Odeon and surrounded by Frankie & Benny's, Nandos and Harvester, so there is a choice of restaurants.

It can be noisy, and the bed isn't overly comfortable either, but it is a budget hotel so I wasn't expecting anything better so wasn't disappointed.

Room Tip: Bring earplugs.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Jakub M, Manager at Hotel ibis budget Glasgow, responded to this review, 9 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Jakub Makuchowski
Assistant General Manager
UK
Reviewed 7 March 2014

My wife and I stayed here for one night.
The room has all the qualities of a hostel for the homeless with free WiFi. The room is very small but it was clean. There is no where to sit except on the bed. There is no kettle tea or coffee provided.
The staff say that hot water is free to take to your room to make your own coffee and the buttons on the machine say "free" but when no "free" water comes out and you press an other "free" button the staff demand £1.80 per cup. I explained what the word free meant in English to the mainly non-English speaking staff but they just laughed.
I complained about the mattress, you can feel every spring in it and I was asked what did I expect from a budget hotel.
When I explained the primary purpose of my stay was to sleep again it resulted in laughter from the staff.
When I requested a refund again laughter was the response from the staff.
My wife and I will not stay at this hotel again and I would suggest you avoid it.

Room Tip: The best rooms are found at the Travelodge across the road.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rolal
Thank you for your review.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and I am currently investigating this matter.

Kind regards

Jakub Makuchowski
Assistant General Manager
Lancaster, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

This is a budget hotel and you will get what you pay for ,you can't beat this hotel for the price ,having said that if I was coming to glasgow for a romantic weekend then I would not stay at the ibis ,our room was fully functional and clean ,we stayed 2 nights and the room was serviced by the maids ,if you are paying £32 for a hotel room then do not expect 5 * luxury because you will be disappointed?I would say that this hotel was worth what we paid for it ,clean and functional but could be noisy as lots of young people staying here !overall a descent stay !

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Kerry B
Robert I, Manager at Hotel ibis budget Glasgow, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Thank you for your kind comments and compliments.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.