“Abysmal - avoid at all costs!”

Hotel ibis budget Glasgow
Ranked #71 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
“Abysmal - avoid at all costs!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

I have stayed twice now at this hotel and after the treatment received today, I can guarantee I will NEVER stay here again. As a wheelchair user I was delighted to see so called "accessible" rooms available so cheaply. However, it soon became apparent that these were far from actually accessible. I use a compact electric wheelchair and while my chair fitted in the room it was extremely difficult to navigate, with a very narrow pathway between the bed and the wall. The floorlength mirror protruding from the wall further obstructed the space. Further to this, the emergency chords for safety in the bathroom were wrapped around the handrails in the bathroom, making them inaccessible. The toilet was much too high for me to access safely unassisted, as was the bed too low. I also could not reach the window blind, nor could I even manage to open the window.

It was to my horror that last night that whilst last squeezing through the narrow gap to get to the bathroom that I accidently struck the mirror at very low speed and saw it crack. However, rather than be dishonest despite my distress over it; my carer spoke to the staff on my behalf who informed me I would be charged for this. In a further conversation with the hotel's management - who tried to claim the mirror was imported from France and worth £200 - they have said they will try to reduce this cost to £30-£40.

I find this to be disgusting treatment, as if the room was not falsely advertised and was actually accessible as it should legally be under the Equality Act 2010; the incident would never have occurred. I will not let this matter lie, but I will not be staying at the establishment again. Nor will I recommend it to anyone again.

Lindsay Saunders

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank MyNameIsLindz
Robert I, Manager at Hotel ibis budget Glasgow, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
I am sorry that on this occasion that you were disappointed with your stay.

I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and I am currently investigating this matter.

I can assure you that all our accessible rooms are meeting any law requirements.

Duty Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

Terrible stay in this hotel. It was wild with young people running around until 4 in the morning. Never again. The management couldn't care less.

The room was cold and dirty. Was a hassle to get a clean towel or shower mat

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BigWilso
I am sorry that on this occasion that you were disappointed with your stay.

Please feel free to contact me to discuss this further.

Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

My brother and I (both age 50+) went to Glasgow for family business. Ibis had the best price for hotels anywhere near central Glasgow - about 1/2 of what others were asking. I've stayed in Ibis hotels before and appreciate the clean, comfortable, basic approach when I'm not trying to impress anyone and don't need business centers, etc etc

Location is convenient to a bunch of restaurants, a cinema and full casino and about an $8 (5 Pound) cab ride from central station - so, all in all, couldn't ask for a more convenient location at the price.

Ibis hotels always have compact rooms...in this case, considering 2 twin beds ate up even more space than the traditional full/queen layout, things were pretty cozy, but not too bad really. Ibis rooms are not really conducive to just hanging out, chilling and having a beer. you need to do that elsewhere, unless you don't mind laying on the bed and watching the flatscreen (tv had a bunch of channels, more than we needed really).

Wifi works pretty well, but we were just doing emails...have no idea how robust the wifi is if you start streaming movies

Shower is very compact but works well, loads of hot water and good pressure. WC is separate and the sink is essentially in the room. That stuff all works for me...after all, we're going budget and as long as things are clean, neat and functional; I'm happy.

They have a breakfast buffet but didn't partake as it wasn't included in the room price. They also sell soft drinks, beer, sandwiches etc at the front desk, I suppose its 24 hrs a day for that stuff.

Would I stay there again? Unhesitatingly, yes. Not fancy but fully functional. Great value for money - especially for the UK

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your kind comments and compliments.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

I would echo other people who have stayed at this hotel in the sense that you get what you pay for. This is a very cheap hotel very close to the city centre and as a result has all the basic necessities. The room was clean and adequate and all the staff were very friendly and helpful. I wouldn't hesitate to return and I look forward to my next trip to Glasgow without breaking the bank. Thanks Ibis budget.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Saintes, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

Budget but not that basic. Good wi-fi and breakfast if you want it. Clean, tidy and well located for the SECC (20 mniute or so walk). Plenty of parking and places to eat nearby. A bit noisy on the Thursday night and I'd suspect somewhere used by the party crowdd at w/e's. Certainly one I'd use again if attending the SECC.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Robert I, Manager at Hotel ibis budget Glasgow, responded to this review, 4 May 2014

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

I loved staying here! The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. One staff member offered to help me with my ipad which was really lovely of him. It is a very clean hotel. It takes about 10 or 15 minutes to walk to the city...which is really good! The walk is along the river which is nice. It is definitely NOT a long walk as some of the reviews suggest. There is a nice movie theatre below the hotel and a great selection of restaurants.
I would recommend staying here for a relaxing, comfortable and quiet trip.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Jakub M, Manager at Hotel ibis budget Glasgow, responded to this review, 3 May 2014

Jakub Makuchowski