Khublai Khans
Ranked #252 of 2,520 Restaurants in Glasgow
Price range: US$7 - US$31
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: City Centre
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Now I know things are jumping in price in our current climate and this needs to be reflected to us as consumers, but I have to say I feel that you are getting a smidgen greedy due to hosting such a lovely concept.

The design your own concoction concept is wonderful for a society hell bent on being a culinary artiste, but this can of course go both ways. I personally had some hits and some misses, but I think I was guilty of playing with my food a little too much in juvenile fashion. But the issue was that it had nearly double in price since my last visit, and I dud most of the work! (For which is tipped myself generously) But this place a fun experience! I'd advice to take your mates, not your family or significant other, because it's the sort of atmosphere in which to have a mess around, which is a welcome change to your average eatery!

Khublai K, Manager at Khublai Khans, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Dear Douglas,
Thank you for taking the time to inform us of your recent dining experience. We genuinely appreciate it. I'm delighted that you enjoyed the experience.
With regards the price I can assure you that we, in Glasgow, haven't increased our food prices for some five years despite increases in our own costs. In fact the price of the full feast has only increased from £15.95 to its current price of £22.95 since 1998. However, I'm aware that our Edinburgh restaurant has increased theirs in the last 18 months so perhaps it is our Edinburgh restaurant to which you may be referring. In light of the economic climate we now have a mini feast option in Glasgow for just £18.95 per person.
Thanks again for your comments.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Our monthy restaurant visit has brought us here.
Its a Monday evening, its quiet, so its very chilled.
On ordering our drink, we had a choice of a free wine or Mongolian beer, But the waitress came up to say the beers weren't actually chilled (what i would of done, is chuck them into a bucked of ice for 7mins, who knew?), but we were offered a 1/2 pint of Fosters instead.
You get told the deal, you go up with your wee coin, you pick rice, noodles, and various other veg, then the meats, than you make your own sauce which was fun!
The food was fab, i decided to try new things,Zebra, Crocodile, Kangaroo.....the Zebra is a must try. Watcing the chef cook it was good fun.
The service wasn't great, if i'm honest, quite slow, te waitress was lovely......just not as fast as it could of been: example, waiting 10mins for a tap water.
Oh, and the 7.5% service charge, a bit cheeky!! I really hope that goes to the staff, and not the fat wallet of the owner/manager. As we didn't tip for that reason.

1  Thank Rateandslate
Reviewed 7 June 2014

The quality of the food is very good however it cost £60 for 2 people with 2 drinks which is way over priced. The service is also pretty bad. We found it impossible for someone to take our dessert order or the order for the bill, both times we had to go to the bar. Very disappointing.

Khublai K, Owner at Khublai Khans, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

Hi
Thanks for taking the time to tell us about your recent visit to the restaurant.
I am delighted that you appreciated the quality of the food we offer and consequently find it disappointing that you think a total bill of £60 for two is excessive. All our starters and desserts are made on the premises and there is no other restaurant in Scotland that offers the variety of unusual meats that we do. You will not be surprised to learn that the likes of crocodile, wild boar, zebra, kangaroo, monkfish etc cost considerably more than beef, chicken, pork etc.
Additionally, we offer all of the above in unlimited quantities! All in all, I am entirely confident that we offer excellent value for money.
Finally, I am sorry the service was less prompt than it should have been. I can only assume that you visited on a busy weekend evening. Notwithstanding, I apologise for this.
Thanks again.
Regards
Andrew
Owner

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Me and my girlfriend go here from time to time. it's always exciting trying something a bit different such as Crocodile, Kangaroo, Alpaca etc! It's always fun to mix up the different meats with the sauces and spices to create new tastes! We love it! It's a bit expensive but you will appreciate that the unusual meats cost a little bit more than usual.

Would recommend to anyone.

Khublai K, Manager at Khublai Khans, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Hi There,
Thanks for taking the time to review the restaurant. We really appreciate it. We're delighted that you enjoyed the experience again. We appreciate your comments about the price and agree that, exotic meats in unlimited quantities, still represents good value for money. Stay tuned to the website / facebook page though as we're about to add a third option to the upcoming new menu next week.
Thanks again.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Kublai Kahn. It's something else. Basically, you decide whether you want rice or noodles, you decide what vegetables you want, you choose your meat (including exotic meats such as crocodile, alpaca, wild boar, baby octopus, mixed game, kangaroo, ostrich, zebra - which is my favourite - and lama and venison) and make up your own sauce using the ingredients. Either follow one of the suggested sauce recipes, or experiment with the ingredients yourself. The choice of meats on offer at the barbeque is the widest I've ever seen, and you can pretty much make any sort of sauce you like with the variety of ingredients. This is the most fun dining experience ever. It's social. It's experimental. It's fascinating. Plus, if you don't like your meal, you only really have yourself to blame (since you make it yourself). It's so much fun trying the recipes the restaurant provides for you, but it's even better to experiment with different meats and ingredients. Where else could you have crocodile curry, kangaroo korma, or wild west wild boar? It's your choice what you have, and trust me, you won't be disappointed. Oh, and as for drinks? The 4-pint tower pitcher of beer just seals the deal! I strongly recommend zebra with noodles in a sort of Mongolian/Mediterranean sauce (try tomato, white wine, a little chilli, some garlic oil, a dash of lemon water, oregano, black pepper, salt, garlic, mixed herbs and a little ginger) with mushrooms, peppers, bamboo shoots and water chestnuts. Awesome!

2  Thank paulcuthbert86

Dear Paul,
Thank you for taking the time to review the restaurant. We're delighted that you enjoyed the experience. Thanks for providing so much info in your review too. A real help to potential diners. Glad you liked the beer tower. They are very popular. Nice recipe by the way. I sincerely hope you popped in down on the comment card so as it can be entered into the monthly competition.
Thanks again for your review. We genuinely appreciate it.
Look forward to welcoming you again soon.