“Stunningly Beautiful”

and up
Royal Dee-side and Malt Whisky Day Tour from Inverness
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Welcome to the Cairngorms National Park in the heart of the Scottish Highlands. The Cairngorms National Park is the largest national park in the UK and is one of the country's most special and cared for landscapes with a wide variety of traditional and unique villages and communities.
Edinburgh
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Stunningly Beautiful”
Reviewed 3 April 2013

Scotland in its finest! Some amazing walks, some hilly some easy, some great driving roads, amazing scenery throughout! Plenty of wildlife, tons of spectacular views!

Visited June 2012
1 Thank SCF_83

St Andrews, United Kingdom
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Perfect place for driving and walking in the clouds!!”
Reviewed 15 March 2013

If you like driving on a flat land, mountain, beside the lakes, this can be a perfect place for you. This place may not be better than West Coast of Highlands, but you can get different flavour of mountain and lakes. If you drive at night, look for deer on the roads as they appear suddenly. If you drive in a cloudy day, there would be a possibility to lose yourself in the clouds as I did. But you can get out of your car and enjoy the clouds. I am sure you can remember your 'A walk in the clouds'.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank sazzadur
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“-3 and still the warmest of welcomes...”
Reviewed 20 February 2013

I learnt to ski in Scotland...enough to put you of skiing for life back then...however taking the opportunity to sneak a wee half days skiing in, has me converted!
Great staff, excellent access, well groomed pistes...Well done everyone behind the transformation of Scotland's oldest ski center, you have done a great job.
I have ski'd across Europe and I can say pound for pound you will not get a better value resort..then throw in the great Scottish hospitality, food and heritage and you have all the elements you need to make a great holiday that you will have great memories for years to come....

Calgary, Canada
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Rolling hills covered with Heather!”
Reviewed 13 September 2012

We are from the Prairies in Canada, but only 3 hrs from Rocky Mountains, so we've seen beautiful landscapes here. But the Cairngorms are different to us - craggy rocks on the rolling hills, sheep along the road, and the dark brown mounds that covered the craggs turned out to be the wild Heather that you always read about in Scotland! Normally I always prefer to tour a City, but I was excited to get out into the Highlands and see some Heather. This is not jaw-dropping scenic, but beautiful in it's own way.We drove in from the Deeside area / Castle Trail.
Near the Deeside skiing area, the drive felt somehow desolate and the landscape near the road spread out flatter than elsewhere on the drive. There is variety of landscape in this park.
A nice drive up to Inverness, and to think of the Queen enjoying this area every summer added to our enjoyment.
Braemar is quite small and has only a few shops, including one with a few antiques .
Ballater has hotels and is a small town, but not much to do after 6pm as much closes then, although there are a few restaurants open, including a nice Italian, a take-out only Chinese, or try your hotel. Ballater was a good base to spend one night while in the middle of the 'Castle Trail' - and not too far from Balmoral. The Deeside Inn was a good choice for us.
Elgin was a larger town, and Huntly was proud that it had the maufacturer of "Deans" shortbread and oatcakes located there. Huntly had several nice little places to have lunch, including the tea-shoppe we tried.

Visited August 2012
Durham
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Poor disabled access”
Reviewed 29 August 2012

The place is terrific, I've been twice and am going again soon - so why a 3* rating.

I arrived at the mountain car park to get the train up to the top. I followed signs to the disabled access lift and arrived at a door through which I could see the station. Unfortunately, on both visits, the door has been locked and increasingly frantic knocking not answered.

So, take the lift back down and walk up, to me, seemingly endless stairs to get up to the place I had been looking at 15 mins before.

Bought my ticket and stood all the way to the top because the disabled car was full of the able bodied who preferred to sit rather than stand in the cars intended for them. Now I know that's a criticism of the people rather than the management though a little supervision would have resolved the problem - and isn't that what managements are for?.

On both occasions the trip has been wonderful but the visitor centre at the top is (probably by force of circumstances, eg the slope of the mountain!) not very user friendly to the disabled. The lift between the seemingly endless changes in level is not obvious to the casual observer and it was our second visit when we found it. In the case of the top, again there is disabled access to the train but again it was locked and my furious knocking was again not answered.

Now, any reasonable person will be asking themselves why didn't he speak to someone and get it sorted. Actually, I did and it wasn't sorted. My bitter complaint was shrugged off with a casual "if I'd heard you I'd have opened the door". Why is the 'default' for disabled access to be locked with no satisfactory means of attracting attention.

The place is demeaning and embarrassing - I know we presented a fine spectacle to the able bodied who thought our antics in expecting to get in through a locked door highly amusing!

So, I'm going back in about 3 weeks time but this time I won't waste the time & effort trying to use the disabled access so the other visitors will have to look elsewhere for their afternoons amusement! It will cause both myself and my wife physical distress to have to do it the hard way yet again but, for me, it seems the lesser of two evils!

Just to clarify, this is a 5* place without any doubt. By my reckoning, that leaves the management/staff rating at -2*

Visited February 2012