“Clean and nice hostel”

Aviemore Youth Hostel
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Nice clean hostel, there was a group next door who came back drunk but the staff member on duty did her best to let the rest of us sleep. Single sex dorms only unless you pay more which isn'tideal for a mixed sex group. WiFi is chargeable.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 10 June 2014

A group of seven of us were cycling to John O'Groats and stayed the night here, in two four bedded rooms. the rooms were typical of a youth hostel and the facilities were better than in many. the water in the showers was nice and hot, and plentiful. The bikes were safely locked in the bike shed. The rooms were quite warm overnight but opening the windows allowed some insects (midges?) in. Even so, we took the risk and had the window open and propped open the door too to get a draught. Staff were helpful. Breakfast wasn't as fulsome as it might have been but it was cheap and adequate.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

Convenient location. Near park entrance, Tesco, bus stops, restaurants.

Staff was helpful and friendly.

Spacious kitchens with multiple coolers and stoves.

Clean.

Quiet spaces to relax. Large dining and lounge room to converse.

NO free wi-fi. I paid 6 pounds for 2 hours.

The heat was on during May. The room was sweltering. I shared the room with three other males and it became quite moist and smelly over the course of the night. I did not have my best nights of sleep while staying here. It would seem to make more sense to switch off the heat during the summer and use that cost saving to provide free wi-fi.

Had the room not been a sauna and had I not been sharked for wi-fi I would have given this hostel 5 stars.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Stayed here two years in a row for the Aviemore half marathon and will be booked back in for a third year for the same event. Staff are very helpful and allowed us to return to the hostel after the race in order to shower and get a cup of coffee. They opened the kitchen out of hours to help us and also offered to assist with our pre-race pasta party the night before.

Breakfast is adequate, but nothing special. Cereal, juice, coffee, etc.

The sitting area is large, and comfortable. Small problem with the temperature in that room last year though, but the staff sorted it out quickly when I asked.

Grounds are lovely with bird feeders which attracted a range of different finches.

This year I will be booking a twin room though as the noise in the dorm of snoring and people getting up and down kept me up most of the night. Still, at the price of a twin room it will not really be wasted in paying for it for myself.

Kitchen facilities are great and other hostel facilities are there. Showers and toilets are fine. Wifi is not free though.

Overall, a very good hostelling experience.

Room Tip: Spend the extra and book private rooms, even if it leaves a bed unused.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ronnie M
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Three of us needed a cheap and simple stop-over on a long journey from Manchester to Orkney and we booked in in advance at the Youth Hostel in Aviemore. It's not luxurious but you don't go to YHAs for luxury. It cost about £20 each and was comfortable with all the facilities you could want. We did not use the cooking facilities but they looked to be extremely well provided for. There are a couple of very nice walks round the tarns at the back of the hostel, a good car park, and Aviemore itself is a short walk away for other food and entertainment. It was a little noisy in that the floor boards creaked as did the metal-frame bunk beds (with only normal use!) and the walls are thin so inconsiderate neighbours are a nuisance. But all in all, very good value.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank GavinusB
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Friendly staff and fellow travellers, and very convenient (short walk to railway, bus and shops). Clean and comfortable too, with lovely powerful showers. It was a bit noisy but I was there on a Bank Holiday saturday so perhaps to be expected but if you are a light sleeper I would suggest ear plugs.

I am a fan of smaller hostels but as a larger one this was very good and I would definitely have no hesitation in staying again.

Oh, amd I left early in the morning and forgot to leave my key behind, I phoned to say I would post it back and the guy was very good about it-didn't tell me off!)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Marion C
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

I must be getting old as I find dorm life intolerable! Notwithstanding the asthmatic warthogs with whom I shared a room, this was a good place to stay. Clean, well organised with lovely staff and a great breakfast. Excellent coffee. I would stay again, albeit with a private room next time!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo