Macdonald Spey Valley Golf & Country Club
US$139
Hotels.com
US$183
US$150
The Boat Hotel(Boat of Garten)
US$139
Priceline
  • Pool
Cairngorm Hotel(Aviemore)
US$171
All reviewshole golf courseswimming poolelectricity chargessun roomthrough rcisports facilitiesscottish nightself cateringchip shopdining tablecoffee tablemaster bedroomcleaning staffchanging areasteam roomlog burnergreat holiday
Reviewed 22 March 2014

My family have been going here since before I was born and every year since . As children me and my brother loved going its a great holiday for children. Me and my husband now go with our daughter and the rest of my family. we love it and we can take our dogs too. over all great place to go everyones friendly and the service is good too.

Room Tip: when choosing where to stay in our opinion the houses are the best :)
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
gm_speyvalley, General Manager at Macdonald Spey Valley Golf & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Dear Guest,

It is wonderful to hear that you have enjoyed the resort at Dalfaber for so many years and keep coming back with your own family. I hope this continues for many years to come.

I am glad this year's holiday was a success and I will look forward to welcoming you back next year!

Reviewed 22 March 2014

Visited for 4 nights in March. Weather was lovely which was a bonus. Stayed in a wooden chalet, very well equipped for a small break and could take the dog also. The staff were friendly on arrival. Used the pool once but should have went more as it was very nice as was the bar area. No issues with the electricity at all, if worried take a note of the reading when you get there. Would go back :) Got a courtesy visit on second day asking if everything was okay; the chalet we were in is part of a timeshare and is due to be decorated shortly, so would make chalet even nicer.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

It was wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your short break with us and that you enjoyed the use of our facilities. We look forward to welcoming you back so you can enjoy them even more.

We were also glad that you found our customer service at a high standard and this is something we are constantly striving to improve.

We would like to wish you all the best.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

Before booking i had read mixed reviews and thought that some of the poor rating were perhaps exaggerated. Not really to be.
I was looking for somewhere we could take our 6 month old dog and when i enquired at Macdonald Highland Resort they advised me that Spey Valley took dogs.
My wife and i stayed with our two children, 5 and 7 years old in a wooden chalet. Reception staff were very vague when we arrived and gave our name when looking at their list of bookings and then advised us that the chalet would be ready in about half an hour as we were a little early which was fair enough. We collected our keys and were advised that they had problems with the TV signal and that the engineer would be back on site on Monday. This was Saturday and we were only staying until Tuesday so not a great start. Our TV signal ended up not to bad for the first two nights and then we had nothing on the third. Not really what you want when you have two young children going to bed at 8-9pm.
Within about 30 seconds of entering the chalet our dog came out from under one of the beds with a disgusting dirty tissue in his mouth. The following day i pulled a smaller table out in the living area that slides under the larger one for it to be covered in dust. When packing for our departure and looking around for anything left, a packet of tissues was under the couch. Not ours! Most of the glasses in the kitchen also needed washed before using them, and although we only cooked breakfast, as did the frying pan from the cupboard which was still greasy with food residue around the sides.
The cleanliness of the chalet really was really not good and although i have never stayed at a Macdonald resort before, its not what i would have expected from them.
When out walking our dog around the grounds, there is quite a bit of dog mess about the grass. There is actually quite a substantial number of bins for dog poo which is good but obviously not everyone uses them.
The small lesuire centre is actually pretty good, a nice little pool and lovely and warm although we only visited it once.
Snacks quite pricey in the bar area and they were not as described on the menu and as a result we only had the snacks on arrival while we waited for our chalet getting ready. There are plenty of places to eat in nearby Aviemore although it really is a drive away or a 20-30 min walk.
I was going to mention most of these issues when checking out but wasn't even asked if everything was ok during our stay so i just filled in the customer survey if it does any good. Oh and we were charged £40 for electricity for 3 nights which i did query. i was advised i could go back to the chalet and check the meter numbers. Didn't think there was much point as i did not know what it was at to start with. I asked if that was normal and was told it was quite high but is possible if the heaters were used a lot. It was February!!
Our following 3 nights where we stayed at a Perthshire resort (not Macdonald) was amazing and literally could not fault the place. Just as well we never went there first.
I think i have ranted enough but we certainly wont be rushing back to Spey Valley. The place really needs a good shake up.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Alistair W

Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear that your holiday did not meet your expectations and that you found our housekeeping standards low. I will personally pass this on to my housekeeping team. Please, be assured that we are working to deliver the best standards and it is disappointing to hear that we did not meet them on this occasion.

Please accept my apologies for the issues with TV reception - this problem has now been rectified and I hope that it did not have too big an impact on you stay with us.

Our reception team is always ready to offer help and great hospitality, I am disappointed that you felt that this has not been provided to you.

It is vital that we are told when something is not right so we can rectify it as soon as possible. Please, be advised that we appreciate all the feedback that we feceive from our guests and we always learn from it.

If you wish to discuss your electricity charges further, please contact the resort and I will be happy to assist you with any queries. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback as it will be a great tool for us to use to improve our service.

I would like to wish you all the best and hopefully will heve the pleasure to welcoming you back to the Macdonald Spey Valley Golf & Country Club.

General Manager.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

Stayed for a short break to ski on Cairngorms. Well equipped chalet. Clean. Found a couple of maintenance issues which were out right quickly. Good range of facilities in hotel although we did not have time to use them. Electric bill was reasonable £11 ish for 3 nights. Beautiful grounds.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive feedback, I was delighted to read from your comments that you had an excellent ski break. I was disappointed that you found some maintenance issues but then glad that they were sorted out by our maintenance team.

I will be looking forward to welcoming you back to our resort.

General Manager.

Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

My fiancés family have had a timeshare here for nearly 30 years and he's visited nearly every year since. We visited in February and it was my second visit with my fiancé and some of our friends. We stayed in one of the larger house style chalets. The house itself is alright, reasonably clean. But (and it's a big but!) here is a list of the quite frankly rubbish things we had the displeasure of enduring whilst we were here. Firstly the television didn't work. The signal was rubbish and couldn't even get a scrambled picture. We called reception asking someone to come and fix it (a total of 5 times!) and were told by an unhelpful lady that 'someone might come out this week during your stay and might be able to fix it, but there has been a problem with the tv for the last 2/3 weeks and it's not been fixed yet'. Needless to say no one came out and 4 further phone calls got us nowhere. Secondly, the arm of one of the settees just fell off. So we rang reception to let them know and ask someone to come and have a look. This was at about 3pm. By 6pm no one had arrived (quelle surprise!) so we called again to ask if we were to expect anyone that evening? The answer was 'no, they finish at 5'. Fantastic, helpful as always.
The customer service here is just shocking. We would have understood if we'd been given more information such as maybe the house maintenance guys were busy, but no, they just don't turn up and you're left in the dark, it's not until you chase up whether anyone is coming out to help you that you're told actually no, they're not.
The saving grace is that Aviemore itself is lovely, and there's so much to do around here that you can spend all day and evening out of the awful resort. The facilities here in general are rubbish, the staff seem to go out of their way to be as unhelpful as possible.

Lucky as it's a timeshare we have the option to transfer it somewhere else. Which sadly we will probably do in the future.

If you're thinking about staying here, and I understand it's not exactly cheap, don't. There's so many charming b&b's and hotels in the town centre, oh and a Hilton if you want something equally expensive.

I don't like to leave a bad review, I believe if you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all, but the consistent bad service (the only thing that was consistent!) has persuaded me otherwise.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends