“A very special haven you will never want to leave!”

and 1 more site!
Scandinavian Village
Somewhere on the Highland Main Line
“A very special haven you will never want to leave!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2010

I have stayed three times now (review delayed by my computer playing up and then by technical problems submitting photos). The first time I ended up buying one of their timeshares before the week was out; the second time I stayed on an extra week, and I'm by no means a big spender. Which says a lot about this gem of a resort. It's addictive! From the blissfully uncomplicated check-in onwards it is pure relaxation, freedom and space to chill out and enjoy whatever kind of holiday you want; be it active and energetic, scenic and social or simply getting away from it all, though there is an Internet connection available in the units for those who need or want it. The units are set out in such a way as to give security and a feeling of complete privacy though the resort is compact and situated only a few minutes' walk from the main road and facilities of lovely, lively Aviemore. The buildings are surrounded by grassed spaces and evergreens creating a feeling of being deep in the countryside yet there is ready access included to neighbouring leisure facilities and a varied and buzzing hub of cafes, pubs, restaurants and quality local shopping only minutes away; one really does get to have it both ways in terms of quiet seclusion and convenience. In addition to all this, whether driving or using public transport it is central enough to easily access the full rich range of Highland sport, nature and culture related activities in and beyond Aviemore itself. The staff are warm, friendly, genuine people who create an atmosphere of a large extended family into which one is instantly welcomed; at the same time they are in no way intrusive, there when needed and a mine of local knowledge. I have stayed in a villa and an apartment; both types of accommodation are very comfortable, serviced weekly with additional maintenance available if required, warm in the winter and airy in the summer with very reasonable electricity costs and excellent modern facilities which are easy to use. The decor is bright and tranquil with the Scandinavian influence so evident in the proliferation of light, natural wood complemented by the best of sleek, stylish up to the minute technology; the bedrooms have a sense of hushed, soothing rest which is so deep it seems to have grown by absorbing over the decades the profound contentment of a succession of thankful guests relaxing into a healthy, restorative sleep after sparkling days. The Scandinavian Village is the Far North within the North; a bubble of the qualities of the Scottish Highlands in especially intense concentrations; an ideal place to run to for all who are drawn to the mountains, forests, snow, long summer days and vivid clarity of natural light which characterise the Highlands and Scandinavia beyond.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank InterCity125

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Finnish first
FIFE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2010

The only reason I have marked the service down is because we did not have any problems or issues and therefore did not require any services during our stay. The reception staff were welcoming on arrival and booking out but apart from that we did not really have any dealings with staff which was fine. There was an opportunity to meet staff and management within the first few days however our schedule was jam packed and we chose not to do this.

Our villa was clean and spacious and plenty room for storing clothes, kids toys etc. The kitchen was very well equipped and we enjoyed plenty meals in as a result of this, The bathroom was spacious and the power shower did not disappoint. There were plenty of towels and linen and there was a service whereby you could request more if needed however we did not need to do this.

The location is central to surrounding areas and villages which offered plenty to do. The kids (and adults) enjoyed Landmark Forest Park 15 minutes away. The scenery and villa views were amazing and the village itself was quiet and peaceful.

If I had one grumble it would be that we were able to bring our four legged family member, however on arrival we were advised that were not allowed to exercise our pet in the village which anyone with a dog knows they need a wee walky before bedtime and much to our disappointment we did not count one litter bin in the resort and being the responsible dog owners that we are had to bring the dog poop back and dispose in the general waste bins!! Despite the lack of bins the resort is litter free and very tidy.

Finishing on a good note - free entry to the MacDonalds Hotel swimming pool was a great bonus!

All in all it was a brilliant week which we thought offered good value for money! :0)

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank CHARLIESMUMFife
South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2010

I stayed at Scandinavian Village with my son (age 14) in June 2010. The lady at reception when we arrived has a lot to learn about hospitality, but I will not let that take away from the rest of our stay. The unit was perfect - we enjoyed the beautiful kitchen with brand new utensils. Our electricity account at the end of the week was a mere 3 GBP as we switched off whatever we could when not in use. The ladies at reception who booked us out were kind and friendly. Aviemore is a beautiful town - the Tesco store provide in all your needs. We enjoyed the Highland Village Folk Museum (free) which is a living farm with school, etc from early years. Inverness is not too far away and we even drove to Aberdeen for the Highland Games which is also quite accesible. All in all - a very pleasant stay.

I would advise that the directions to the resort be reviewed as we had difficult in finding it. It is behind another Hotel but is not put that clearly. We did not make use of the facilities at the Hotel next door, but it is available - gym, pool, spa.We infortunately did not have a laptop with us, so we could not use the internet facility in the unit. It would have been nice if a computer was available at reception for travellers who do not travel with their computer though.

I will definitely stay here again - the surroundings were beautiful BEAUTIFUL.

• Stayed June 2010
1 Thank MMPSouthAfrica
Rotherham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2010

we had a lovely time and explored cairngorms from our base aviemore was a lovely place lovely and warm

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank zidan13
glasgow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2010

just returned from week at scandinavian village. we were on a time share swap so cant comment on value for money. the appartment was small but perfectly appointed with lcd tv and dishwasher. it was warm and comfortable, the electicity is payed for at the end of the week and the bill was pleasently small.
the beds were singles in the beadroom, a bunk and 2 singles but the sofa pulled down to make a comfortable double so we put the kids in the room and used the sofa bed, giving a good nights sleep for all.
the leasure facilities next door at the MacDonald hotel were excellent and free!
the staff could not have been more helpfull and nothing seemed any trouble at all to them.
Though staying in aviemore, we skied at the lecht, it is much better for very small children (ours are 4 and 6)
We certainly had an excellent time and look forward to going again

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
Covington, LA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2009

I didn't give full stars for the service but only because I had a terrible time with communiaction BEFORE I got the resort. I was staying out of the country for the first time and nervous about getting to the resort since I wasn't driving. I had emailed once a few weeks before my trip to ask what they recommended as the best mode of transportation and was told it was only accessible by car. I was confused because their website states that there is a train station in the town center and the town center was supposed to be a less than 5 minute walk away. I also called the week of my trip to find out what the procedures were for checking in after 8pm since I wasn't going to make it in by that time and had to leave a message. I called back once more and never got a reply back. Finally an acquaintance in Scotland was able to make arrangements for me to pick up my key at the Cairngorm Hotel which is directly across the street from the train station. Once I got in and got my key, things were great. It was rainy and cold and I had all my luggage so the receptionist at the Cairngorm called me a cab to take me to the resort. I had one of the "apartments" and it was very nice, if a little dated. It was clean and plenty of space for me. It would sleep 4 but I was alone. The living room had a binder of info on the resort and the nearby places which was useful as you have to flip on a hot water switch when you arrive and keep it on to have hot water. Also the fridge isn't turned on so that has to be turned down on arrival as well if you plan on keeping things in it. I didn't use the stove or microwave but it does come with a great assortment of dishes, glasses, cookware and a toaster. Definitely great for long period visits!
Definitely would recommend for the rooms and the location as it was absolutely beautiful there and right in the heart of the mountains. The town center really was less than 5 minutes away and it took nothing to walk into town once I had no luggage. There were several places to eat nearby and the Tesco grocery was nice to have nearby as well. I wouldn't say there's "plenty" to do nearby however so I would definitely suggest having other activities planned. The office has DVDs for rental for &3 but they have to be back by noon the next day.
All in all, it was definitely worth it and I would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
U S A
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2009

Prior to going to Aviemore, we read all the previews about the place. Some people did the Scandinavian Village an injustice, with their reviews. My wife and I live in S.California and our own home leaves very little to be desired, so when we say that some people gave bad reviews, we feel qualified to make that statement.
Our unit was # 52, the rear of it is approximately 100 feet (30+ meters) from the A9. The so called traffic noise was obliterated by drawing the heavy drapes. There is ample storage space for our clothing--and we do NOT travel light. The kitchen was extremely well equipped. Paying for the electric use---10 GBP, was countered with the FREE laundry use. The staff are very accomodating. The grounds are very well cared for.
In the immediate vicinity, there are plenty of good stores and restaurants. NOW, the view around the area is beyond reproach----magnificent.
We will be recommending Scandinavian Village to ALL our friends and associates.
My wife is American and I was born in GB.
Brian and Nancy Millns/Ross.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple