“great concept”

The Park Guest House
Ranked #10 of 29 Aviemore B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I was checking the Internet for a good rated restaurant in aviemore and came across this. I have passed the restaurant so many time and never been in till now, love the idea of the menu! Food was all very tasty! Staff excellent, very smart looking restaurant/hotel. I'll be back next time I am in Aviemore. ! I am going to try your Edinburgh restaurant, Thank you for a nice family evening.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 3 February 2014

My son and i were up in Aviemore for skiing so we booked a twin room. The room was excellent and the facilities were ideal. The staff were really lovely and they had information to hand on the current status of access to the mountain (mountain closed due to high winds), they were also able to advise on other things to do in the area. Breakfast was excellent and nothing was too much trouble. A really good stay and we will stay here next time in Aviemore.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank rosie b
Jamie C, Owner at The Park Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Dear Rosie B,
We're so happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and will come again (but sorry to hear that the weather wasn't too good on 'the hill' during your visit).
It was very nice of you to take the time to leave a review and we appreciate it very much.

'Haste ye' back' ;)

Reviewed 30 January 2014

Stayed here for one night with my daughter and her husband. couldn't fault it and good value . Room clean and well equipped and breakfast lovely. One girl seemed to be working reception and serving breakfast but managed to do both very happily.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Shirl2037,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for us and for the kind words;) We're so glad that you enjoyed your stay.
We're a family run business and take great pride in the service we deliver. I will certainly pass on your comments to the staff and we look forward to seeing you again.
Best regards,

Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

We have been here for dinner a few times and it has always been very nice, this time however we were disappointed.

The restaurant looks very nice on arrival but turns sloppy when waitresses are dressed in hoodies and tracksuit bottoms. Not very professional or friendly service either.

We ordered dinner from the '2 courses for £10.95' menu which is very basic and if you want anything a little more exciting you have to pay an extra £2! The menu descriptions are very basic too.

I ordered a chicken tikka masala main course which was so spicy that I couldn't eat it. I always thought that it was supposed to be a mild dish and nowhere on the menu did it suggest that it would be spicy.
The staff never came back to see if everything was ok which it clearly wasn't and the food was so hot we needed more drinks but there weren't even any staff to be seen when they were needed.

When the waitress came to clear the plates I told her that I couldn't eat my meal and she offered no alternative, apology or money off.

We will not be returning unfortunately.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Jamie C, Owner at The Park Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Dear gydk,
Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your experience with us last Wednesday. We strive for excellence in produce as well as the service we offer, so a grading of only one star concerns us greatly and compels me to reply. I have investigated the matter thoroughly and here are my findings;
Firstly, you were correct to point out that a member of staff was not in full uniform last Wednesday and I apologise. Presentable work dress is standard at I.S, however a member of staff was called in at the last minute to help out, due to an acute staff shortage. The staff member was slow to remove her hooded top in her efforts to assist, but I'm assured that she wasn't wearing tracksuit bottoms.
At International Starters we specialise in producing tapas style and sized portions of food from around the globe. For the more conventional diner we offer a special TWO COURSE menu (starter and main) for £10.95. We hope to provide value for money for our customers too and I believe that the high standard of home made food we serve for this set price is very good value.
You are correct in pointing out that four out of the ten main course meals attract an additional £2 supplement. This is purely a reflection of the cost of produce I'm afraid (lamb,prawns & scallops, bourbon ribs & fajitas).
It does concern me greatly that you did not enjoy your meal, however, and were not offered a discount or alternative, I have addressed this with the staff concerned. The Chicken Tikka Masala we serve may be more spicy than some are used to but rest assured it is made to an authentic recipe. Our menus are to be reviewed and reprinted in the next few months and thanks to your feedback we will be marking this as a 'medium spiced dish' and include gradings for other potentially spicy dishes.
I do hope that you'll give us a second chance and allow us to show you what we do best.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 29 October 2013

I felt I had to write a review because we had a fantastic time! We loved International Starters in Edinburgh and so booked into I.S. in Aviemore, the rooms are clean and modern and the staff very helpful, the girl on reception went out of her way to make sure we had everything we needed. The food was excellent too and we ended up eating there two nights out of three. The kids were happy and so were we, we'd go back for the Massaman curry alone!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 October 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here after deciding to head to Aviemore the day before we went! As we were booking last minute in the school holidays we were expecting anything there was left to be below standard but we were very pleasantly surprised.

The staff were helpful and friendly, even when we left coming down to breakfast til the last minute they were all smiles which often isn't the case.

The rooms were a decent size and were very clean. Only thing was the double bed was two singles pushed together but this isn't too much of a problem - just something to be aware of.

Over all was very pleasantly surprised!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 October 2013

We visited IS recently for a birthday celebration and had a great experience. The staff were very welcoming and friendly and made sure we had a wonderful evening. The owner even came to say Happy Birthday in person and gave us a complimentary drink! The choice of food was impressive and the quality was very good. We will certainly visit again and next time may stay in the attached rooms to try out the breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family