“A top UK kennel”

Cairngorm Sleddog Centre
Ranked #11 of 18 Tours in Aviemore
Reviewed 11 March 2013

I contacted Alan & Fiona on the off chance of a quick insight into sleddog's before I jetted of to travel and work at a kennel oversea's. I went there with no knowledge or background what so ever, but left with more than I could handle. Alan & Fiona love their job, sport and of course the dogs. The knowledge they posses and are willing to share is to much to learn in a day, a week or even or a month. They have been doing this a lifetime.

The museum is a great set up, with photo's through the ages of the sport and before the sport of racing the dogs even began. That is real history that they are collecting and is completely over looked by some people's reviews and comments I've read on here.

I hope to go back and visit on numerous occasions to share my experiences and learn from Alans, as I'am coming to the end of my first season handling at a racing kennel in Canada. Anyone looking into getting into the sport seriously and wants the best possible start in the UK, Cairngorm Sleddog Centre is your number one stop before venturing out.

2  Thank Ben1505
"teaching"
"safety"
"scotland"

Reviewed 28 February 2013

Before you book a trip check the prices as it is very expensive for what is offered.We went as a family group and I was taken aback at the cost when I paid the bill at the end of the visit. One of my grandchildren did not want to go on the sledge run so I had to stay behind with her in the museum and yet we had to pay the full price.The so- called museum was a small cramped outbuilding with exhiibits and photos some of which were faded and depicting former glories.The dogs were lovely and Alan was very knowledgeable and showed his considerable expertise and recounted his own racing experiences; but he had little affinity for the other sled dog racers who frequent Aviemore annually.
After this experience, I have felt it incumbent to warn other visitors in Aviemore about this attraction.A nephew from abroad visited the Sled Dog Centre with his family and his comment was " Rip off."

4  Thank Alex M
Sleddogs, Owner at Cairngorm Sleddog Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2013

All visits/ trips/ museum tours are 100% pre booked due to only running two sled- dog teams daily at centre. It's made crystal clear to all who pre book what the price is for sled- dog trip (pre coming to our centre) and also the different price for whoever takes the kennel museum tour but do not wish to go on the trip out.

Visitors are at the CSC for 2 1/2 hours and very rarely do we get visitors reneging on their original "booking". On occasions it's due to young children not being suitably dressed for winter and the experience we offer as it's an outdoor experience. It's also not what some kid/ adults expect (certainly not Disney world "husky's"/nor Aviemore Event etc).

The CSC shows the real side of racing (400 miles)working/ living/ training with sleddogs & the walking talking tour is part of it. When someone who's been booked at the very last minute does not want to go out (on the 50 minute trip) we have to accept this and due to them having taken up someone else's seat on the trip out (at busy times we have reserves standing by) we do not charge for the onsite cancellation...but if they enter the dog kennel area & take the museum/ kennel tour they are charged £8 pp(adult) & £4(child). On this occasion we charged the museum/ kennel tour price and lost two visitors on the trip out with the dogs due to an onsite "did not want to go"...We must underline this is a winter adventure and all visitors truly need to wrap up well and have some sort of interest in sleddogs?

Reviewed 26 January 2013

I did a course here in January 2013 and was most impressed by the expertise, knowledge and passion that Fiona and Allan have for their dogs. Over the two days I was introduced to an extensive amount of information and skills related to dog sledding. These people are the experts, and are happy to share their passion with others.

1  Thank ValkyrieTheWirral
Reviewed 20 January 2013

The owners, Alan and Fiona, were friendly and knowledgable as well as very enthusiastic and kindness itself. The whole trip was very interesting and imparted a lot of knowledge. We have a dog boarding business so my kids used to a lot of dogs and they had lots of fun with the many hounds, helping harness them up, feed them and put them away. Would thoroughly recommend this trip. Expensive but worth it. X