“Sled dog rides”

Cairngorm Sleddog Centre
Ranked #11 of 18 Tours in Aviemore
Reviewed 27 February 2009

My family and I had a week near Aviemore at half term, one of the highlights of which was to have been the a sled-dog ride at the Cairngorm Dog Sled Centre. There had been a lot of snow, but it had all but melted in the valley by the time we got there. We were assured the dogs could run if there was no snow, and on the materials we were given, there was a picture of what looked like a very large go-kart that we presumed to the thing for no-snow conditions. We walked up to the centre and handed over £140 for the 2 hour session for my wife and 2 older children, while I returned to the car with the 2 younger kids (you have to be 6 to do it). A few hours later I returned to find my wife utterly bemused by the whole thing. Apparently, after some time learning about the dogs (fine), getting them ready (great), the dogs were tied to the front of a large 4x4 land buggy-cum-quad bike, in which my wife and kids were driven around, with the dogs running along in front. They were not being pulled by the dogs, the bike's engine was doing the work, the dogs were there for show and presumable to get some exercise. For that kind of money I was appalled and I would not recommend anyone do it, unless there is snow and they can use the proper sled (assuming they do so!). Even then it is very expensive - total rip off.

31  Thank Chipmeister
Sleddogs, Owner at Cairngorm Sleddog Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2009

We are very sorry your wife was disappointed with her visit to our Sled- Dog Centre in Aviemore.

What we have never offered here with our sled- dogs is a circus act or an "attraction fair ride" ...after 20 years working/ racing/ training sled- dogs around the world I truly believe we give all our visitors a real insight into our sport and the "way of life" with our sled- dogs. This is not a show nor a rip off ...what we offer is a real insight into the world of the sled-dog with a real training trip. We do offer other trips and yes dogs pull a non engined lighter two seated cart...much lighter than training cart (see our web- site video) but your wife booked on a training "Sled- dog Experience" where an engine is used to keep a steady pace on the team, 12 dogs up steep hills & terrain. There are young dogs involved, leaders being trained...it's all about the training of the dog team.

As to your email to Trip Advisor... you have no 1st hand knowledge of what your wife did during the time she was here...your family loved it by the comments in our visitor/ comments book ... similarly like everybody else that day who went out with your wife & children... before you comment on what we do here or comment on anything it would be a bit more of a result to all ... if you actually were able to take the actual trip yourself and understood how we train & why we live & train sled- dogs here at our home instead of getting a second hand account from someone who was accompanied by two under 10 yr olds who simply left with no interest in understanding our centre. On booking on any sled dog visit details are fully covered...web site is very clear in what we offer a real insight into the real world of sled dog racing and an understanding what those sled dogs are all about...not a circus act nor a sweat house for dogs to pull people around like you suggest just for the sake of "pulling them around"

The Cairngorm Sled- dog Centre