“Still going the extra mile!”
Review of Dunroamin

and 1 more site!
Dunroamin
Ranked #15 of 29 Aviemore B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 October 2012

I can very much echo the last review and fully agree with the Dunroamin folks going the extra mile!

My wife and I stayed for the two nights immediately following her completion of the Loch Ness Marathon. At our request, Lorraine and Jim had organised a large bag of ice for us, which was ready on our arrival to undo the damage of 26 miles running!

Also, a friend of ours sent a congratulations present to my wife at the B&B. This was unfortunately delivered after we had left but Lorraine organised for it to be sent on to our home address, in her own time and asking for no contribution from us to the cost of this.

In all other areas, the experience at Dunroamin was excellent with a very nice room, friendly and welcoming service and very nice breakfast. Basically everything we were looking for!

Thank you Lorraine and Jim, we would definitely stay again if we are back in Aviemore.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 October 2012

Thank you both for such a lovely stay - a most comfortable, bright and well-equipped room, delicious breakfast and you certainly went the extra mile in kindly posting back to me some possessions I had forgotten! Thank you so much!

Room Tip: Room 3 was lovely
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 May 2012

I don't normally write reviews on this but I was rather shocked to see the below reviewer's experience on the service and thought I'd share my own experience.

I stayed at this B&B a couple of weeks ago. I stayed with my partner as we wanted to explore the area. I phoned a couple of days before to book my room (for two nights) and despite my late notice I was lucky enough to get a room. The woman I spoke to was lovely and we had a bit of a natter on the phone entirely off topic of booking a room.

When we arrived at the B&B in the late afternoon we were greeted by Wilma (who introduced herself as the woman I spoke to on the phone) and Raymond - an adorable couple who were caring for the house whilst their daughter (the owner) was away.

I was shown to my room which was immaculately clean and extremely comfortable. We were told about the breakfast times but unfortunately realised that on the second night/morning of our stay we would be unable to attend the allotted breakfast time due to plans made prior to arrival. However, we were assured that this was no problem and although we would not be able to have the cooked breakfast (which when we did have it was delicious....something I think I would nip back for regularly, especially the smoked haddock omelette) we would be provided with a continental breakfast which consisted not only of cereal but some sandwiches as well. This was left outside our door at what I can only assume was either at a stupid time of the morning or the night prior but was delicious regardless.

Aside from the breakfast - I had particularly wanted to mention this given the review below complaining specifically about this - throughout our stay Wilma and Raymond (and Jim who popped in and out) were extremely kind and helpful with everything (especially as I was newcomer to Aviemore and the area) and even provided us with a discount leaflet to a local restaurant.

I think the service alone at this B&B is enough to make me come back time and time again (which I will be doing as Aviemore is a beautiful place) and I would recommend it to anybody. If you want to stay somewhere that feels like a home away from home with a welcoming atmosphere then Dunroamin is definitely the place to go.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2012 via mobile

I had a very bad experience with this b&b - while I would agree with the other reviews, the rooms and facilities are good unfortunately the service is not. I have worked in tourism for many years and have stayed all over the world. But never have I been made to feel so uncomfortable over a miscommunication, and we litteraly received a "giving out" to.

I should state this b&b serves breakfast from 8am to 8:30am which I found unusual.

We were a party of 3 men on a photography trip, none of us are young. Our reason for the trip was to photography ospreys which meant we have to be on site at 5am we informed the man running the b&b when we arrived and he told us we could have our breakfast when we returned at 9:30. We also informed one of the staff on the Sunday to our plans and the breakfast arrangement.

Everything seemed ok until we got a smart comment about the time we were eating our breakfast on monday morning and were told "if my daughter was here you wouldnt be allowed do this". We apologised and thanked them for arranging breakfast. 30 minutes later we got a knock on the door and the guy that checked us in basically gave us a "giving out to" and said we put him a very difficult position. Plus he denied giving us the option of a late breakfast!. We cut our stay short and checked out. Never have I felt so uncomfortable and humiliated.

I cannot recommend this b&b. Facilities and rooms are ok - the rest is most certainly not!

• Stayed: May 2012
6  Thank Brian807
Dunroamin12, Owner at Dunroamin, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2012

With the greatest of respect I do not think that you are being entirely truthful about the manner surrounding your decision to leave. On arrival you stated that you would be going out on an early photo shoot on Monday morning, to which I responded that we could offer 3 breakfast options.
No 1. A breakfast tray in your room.
No 2. A packed lunch.
No 3 To return and have breakfast between 8 and 8.30.
However you took it upon yourselves to arrive for breakfast at 9.50 am at which time Lorraine's mother served a freshly prepared cooked to order breakfast, believing this to have been pre-arranged, which it most definitely had not.
When I came to your room on the Monday morning all three of your party at least had the decency to look embarrassed when faced with the facts. Lorraine has been running this business for 20 years and within reason will always accommodate any special requests. However your behaviour and subsequent review are astounding as Wilma, Raymond and myself did everything we possibly could have to accommodate your every request.

Jim

Reviewed 9 May 2012

We come up to aviemore for a wee girlie weekend and we very much landed lucky because of booking Dunroamin. The bedrooms are lovely and comfortable, the breakfast yummy, the location, central but not right in the centre of town which means a lovely quiet sleep. The welcome wa swarm and we really found a home from home. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Onlyr0se
Reviewed 14 March 2012

I stayed here a few weeks back for two nights to catch the last of Scotland's tortuousness skiing season with my two cousins and a friend. We arrived very late on at night, but we were told by the owner it wouldn't be a problem. Once we arrived, we were given a very warm welcome and shown to our comfortable, well furnished and presented rooms (as you can tell from their website pictures). The beds were a particular highlight; I usually have a bit of trouble sleeping when I'm not in my own bed but they were extremely comfortable which is a major bonus when you're sleeping away.
Being strangers of Aviemore, the owners were very helpful in telling us where to find the best food (and beers!). The morning after, were arose to a cooked breakfast which was more than enough to soak up our hangovers. A first class establishment with first class hosts - highly recommended!!

Room Tip: Great views from top room!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 February 2012

Dunroamin is an extremely professionally run, warm and welcoming place to stay. I felt that nothing was too much trouble for Lorraine and Jim who made me feel more than comfortable as a solo traveller. I was also given a competitive, single person's rate (in a good sized, beautifully furnished double room along with a modern, fitted en suite) and this was hard to find in Aviemore unless you were happy to use bunk house style accomodation, which really is not for me as I really enjoy my home comforts!

Dunroamin is situated on a quiet road, with only a few minutes walk to the amenities - a car is not needed (if you don't want to bring it) due to easy train and bus links. The accomodation itself is immaculately clean and well thought out, with attention to detail of those little extras.

I'm not a great early morning eater, however everything is provided for all kinds of appetites - and plenty of it... from cereals, toast, fruit and yoghurts to full cooked breakfasts along with daily specials including, eggs, salmon and bagels. If you don't want breakfast, there is the option of a packed lunch instead.

I would definitely recommend Dunroamin as a home from home base to explore the Cairngorms.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo