“Hotel from hell”

Ranked #26 of 29 Aviemore B&B and Inns
Lanark, United Kingdom
“Hotel from hell”
Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

This is the worst hotel i have ever stayed in. I should have went with the past reviews but think i thought no hotel could be this bad. We arrived and stood and stood to eventually a man arrived to check us in in silence. We were handed keys and still stood. I had to ask where the rooms were. We were told very coldly. Up them stairs. Wouldn t knw where to start. Rooms were dingy. Paper hanging off walls. Windows were filthy. Everywhere dust. Leg off the fire. We kept clothes in our bags. Wouldn t like to use the dirty wardrobe. As we were only there 1 night we stayed thinking it can t get any worse. Bed was clean and i cleaned the shower and toilet. Only thing this place has is a good location. We ate out and stayed out till bedtime hoping it would look better in the dark. Will never doubt a review again. Nicer places near by. Also when checking out. No one came and we just left keys on counter. Very strange people

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank janethill678

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Barrow upon Humber, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I stayed this January for 2 nights as I were traveling around Scotland with my 4 dogs on my own. I had bagged some serious mileage so sleep is very important, especially having to entertain my working dogs who sleep in my van. Firstly when i used a well know site to find separate accommodation for each night i had Mackenzie up at £25 for a Monday night. Thought at that price i will stay 2 nights, Sunday as well, which then showed up at £100 for both nights when the days were booked together? How many people would be wise enough to book the nights as 2 separate bookings and get the stay for £75 instead of £100. I would of been angry for so little sleep at that price! I stayed upstairs in a twin room with a view over the car park (handy for me with the dogs) bed was huge as it was 2 singles pushed together and the bedding was white Egyptian cotton smelling lovely and clean. Shower looked like it was out of a caravan, no lock - but the door didn't close shut anyway. Overall I liked the room, had plenty of storage and coat hangers, modern flat tv with all channels. THEN the party started. Sunday night Karaoke with boom boom music till gone 1am, drinkers falling up the stairs at 2.45am. Next night was jamming night so had the bass thumping all night. Got around 4 hours kip between the nights, just what I needed before a 9 hour solo drive home. The breakfast was brilliant with lots to eat and well cooked. My meal the night before at £9 was an excellent meat pie with fresh veg which i thoroughly enjoyed. Overall great location handy on the main road for all shops etc, but not within it, its just only for people who like to party all night, drink loads and want budget accommodation. Don't take your kids/elders or solo up'earliers - You'll not enjoy it.

Room Tip: The twin (double) upstairs is roomy, number 5, view of carpark and at the rear. BUT all rooms will h...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Chaosclimber
Shaftesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Cheap is the word and that is what you must expect to get. Room was small with little room to put clothes away or suitcases. Bathroom and loo were compact. Bed was clean and firm.
Breakfast was good, well cooked and just the right amount.
We had a problem with the fire alarms one night which kept on going off until the police arrived and finally got it sorted. Apparently there was no one staying in the place who could turn it off?
A meal voucher was offered as compensation for the noise etc.
Good value for money but it comes at a cost!!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
london
Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

Is so cheap for a reason! The bed room are very small and are not well keep, torn wall paper, broken carpet broken bath and the rooms are not cleanest either we find hair in beds and piubic hair all over the toilets.You get what you pay for!

Stayed January 2014

Travellers are raving about these Aviemore hotels

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Although this hotel is very cheap, £75 for 4 of us, it really isn't worth it. There are holes in the walls in the corridor,as if someone has hit the wall, mould in our toilet. broken handle on the bedroom door, breakfast in the morning had 2 hairs in my cooked breakfast. On the positive, the bed appeared clean and was comfy and my other 3 friends who didnt have a cooked breakfast said their breakfast (cereal) was fine. there was a tv in the bedroom. the location of the hotel is good.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank aberdeenfamily10
glasgow
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Just back from week at Aviemore I had booked MacKenzies through expedia at £25 per weekday night and £35 for Sunday. The room was warm and the staff friendly enough, contrary to other posts.
The room, well, where to start!
The shower/ toilet was tiny, there was black mould around the ceiling and the toilet, the fittings were rust and the silver on the backoof the mirror had gone black. The shower screen top runner was broken though functional was difficult to use. The electric shower was plenty warm but the hose and head again were mouldy The door lock was damaged ( though it doesnt need a lock) as was the door (badly filled hole). The toilet seat was stiff and wouldn't go fully up. The extract fan was loud, but more annoyingly so was the one next door, which someone left on for hours one night! None of these things would be expesive to sort, I recon £100 carefully spent could up the standard to acceptable. The hot water in the tap must be solar, if not it coming from a distance similar to the sun going by the time it takes to run hot!
The bedroom did not fayre much better, peeling wallpaper and the tilt and turn window screwed shut so it would only tilt a little (local fire officer take note!). The television was a bit small but again more annoyingly had a very bright blue standby light, I took to turning it off at the wall, which was when I discovered the thick layer of dust on the telly and even thicker layer on the high shelf it was on! (This hasn't been cleaned for some time!). The mirror on the back of the door was cracked, and the wardrobe door wouldn't close without fiddling with the catch. It would also be good if the bedside cabinates were beside the bed and not at the other end of the room!
I was in room 1, I didnt hear the Sunday karaoke at all, much to the surprise of the breakfast waitress on Monday morning! There was a bit of noise in the corridor on a couple of nights, but nothing too riotous.
The food.
breakfast is served from 8 am, made it a bit tight for me as I was on a course and had to be somewhere for 9. First morning I had standard cooked breakfast which was ok, cereal and toast was on help yourself basis which was just aswell as second morning the chef failed to turn up! (Apologies were tendered but a voucher for dinner migh have been nice, but then again maybe not, see later.) Third morning I had croissant with cheese bacon and roasted tomato, which was actually quite good. Next morning however I had the same but this time cheese, bacon, cheese, tomato, cheese and more cheese! Get the message? I quite like cheese but it was dissapointing.
I ate there one night, again, its cheap but that's about all. Had the burger, £7.50 A good sized plateful, or rather a good sized portion on a plate which was far too small. The burger was dry and, I quite like coleslaw, but same as cheese problem above! For a couple of pounds more there is much better food to be had localy. I am back in Aviemore in February this year with the family, we are staying elsewhere but I doubt I will take them to MacKenzies for a meal!
Checkout was a case of leaving the keys on the unmanned reception desk, nowhere obvious to drop a customer satisfaction form, before resorting to a forum such as this.
The question is, would I go back? Probably yes, it is worth £25 a night but certainly not much more, I wouldn't take the wife and family unless the place got a significant refurb.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 December 2013

My boyfriend and I travelled through from Aberdeen to get a night away before Xmas. Oh I wish we'd spent just a little more and stayed elsewhere!

Upon arrival, the place looked deserted. When we went up the stairs to our room, the staircase shook as we held the hand rails! There was a very tired chair on the landing.

Our room was freezing. I don't mind having two twin beds pushed together to make a double, but prefer if decent mattresses are invested in so that there isn't a huge gap when sleeping. There was a hole in the duvet cover. Tiny tv, that you couldn't see when lying in bed, would be much better placed on the wall. Lack of room on the other side of the bed, so we had to climb over one another in the night. The wallpaper was peeling off, damp all over the walls.

The bathroom. Disgusting is the only word that describes it. There was left over soap from a previous guest - how long had it been there? Unsure, but there was a short & curly on it!! I don't want plastic cups wrapped in a bag at the sink either. There was huge amounts of mould on the ceiling, next to the tiny tiny electric shower. No where to hang towels, clothes or store a toiletries bag.

When will hotels/B&B's start putting proper hair dryers in rooms? This one looked like it was from the 80's.

We could hardly sleep due to noise all night from the bar.

We came down for breakfast, and some unsavory characters were there already. I understand that there are other guests, but I hate when they use their phones loudly at the breakfast table. I don't want to hear your foul mouthed opinion as I sip my tea. The whole place was cold. Small selection of cereal, and only a choice of an apple for fruit. No yogurts. Cooked breakfast menu seemed ok - lack of choice for vegetarian me. However went for the porridge with Apple & cinnamon. Boyfriend had the standard cooked breakfast, only 1 sausage and only 1 strip of bacon. Upon returning to our room, neither of us felt well. We weren't sick but certainly had upset tummys.

Overall, we paid £50 for B&B. however this was not worth it for the state of the room and various factors. This place needs some TLC, it is very well located. We won't be back.

Room Tip: Just book somewhere else.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple