“Cakes not for the faint hearted.”
Review of Mountain Cafe

Mountain Cafe
Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in Aviemore
Price range: US$6 - US$19
Cuisines: New Zealand
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Takeout
Description: We use some of Scotland's best local produce to create healthy, wholesome & interesting food with a Kiwi twist. We opened our doors in 2004 and have been gaining awards and accolades for our antipodean style coffees, delicious breakfasts, superb lunches & fresh home baking ever since. Our service is friendly & casual with a professional team from all over the world. The café offers excellent views of the Cairngorm Mountains - enjoy our balcony area during summer and the cosy log burner to sit by during the winter months. All the pictures are of our food - why not come in and sample our hospitality when you are in the area next?
Reviewed 17 July 2014

If you love cakes and don't mind a queuing its well worth the wait.
We had lunch a couple of times and also bought takeaway food as well. The sandwiches were lovely and a large choice of drinks to choose from, not just the usual tea and coffee (lovely Smoothie and iced coffee!!) The place is small hence why it is always packed, the staff work very hard to keep up with the orders. Unfortunately if you serve good food it's going to be popular and busy. If you are impatient then don't go.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,411)

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We've eaten here many times now on our Scotland holidays. We managed three times this holiday! Almost always very busy and all three times we had to queue on the stairs for a table despite going at a time which was previously slightly quieter. Well worth queuing for though. The staff never stop - they must be shattered when they go home. We usually go for the salads and this holidays had the Moroccan chicken salad, goats cheese salad and salmon salad. A small criticism was that there wasn't as much chicken on my husband's salad as on a previous occasion. I imagine different chefs do things slightly differently. We had cakes twice, the best ones being the double chocolate rum and raisin cheesecake which my husband gallantly ate despite the portion being huge and very rich, and the chocolate brownie which was deliciously gooey. Purchased some items from their small deli to take home to tide us over till our next visit later this year hopefully.

1  Thank PinkFirApple
Reviewed 8 July 2014

The village of Aviemore has long needed a resurgence in the food and drink facilities and with places like the Mountain cafe it is finally beginning to do this.
Ideally located in the heart of town it's a great medium sized cafe with fast service and very nice food and generally well presented.
Good value for money. The portion sizes are a little huge to say the least. And considering the quality of ingredients and price paid this is very good. If anything the portion sizes are a little too big. For lunch anyway. And I have a decent appetite. A member of my group got a salad with could comfortably fed the table and another had so much wrap left there was another meal for later. I'd rather have too much than too little but there needs a healthy balance. Tastes great mind!
The only draw back was the wait on the stairs for a table. Seemed a little excessive for the brunch period. I understand the place is very busy for a reason. It's good. But if I fancy an unplanned lunch at a cafe I don't really want to wait that long. Once in though the service is very fast with a good turnaround, It's just very busy. I'm not sure how it could be remedied unless there was demand for food on the go that could be facilitated better.

Defo worth the visit. Aviemore needs more places of this quality and it could be a Scottish Queenstown.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Have eaten at the Mountain Cafe quite a few times now with family over the past 2 years. Sometimes there is a wait for a table and the food to arrive when seated. Sometimes the service is not quite as good as it should be. BUT I have to say that the food is wonderful and I applaud their ethos of catering for everyone, even those with allergies, intolerances and special diets.
As the mother of a child with severe food allergies it is great to go out for something to eat and not have to worry if there is something suitable on the menu.

They aren't cheap but the food represents good value when you consider the quality of the ingredients used. We had all day breakfasts this morning which set us up for the day ( including a fab vegetarian breakfast ). A drink and toast is included in the price. At £ 32 for 4 people it was wonderful value. I wish we could eat here all the time, not just when we are on holiday.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

MMM MMM MMM get the millionaires short cake, well worth the £3 and in second place OMG the chocolate slice, we had it with cranberry and orange, amazing!!!

1  Thank SJ090980