“Charming, cozy, tasty!”

Old Bridge Inn
Ranked #6 of 64 Restaurants in Aviemore
Price range: US$12 - US$28
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Old Bridge Inn, Aviemore, offers a roaring log fire and cheerful atmosphere along with excellent food and a fine selection of cask ales and malt whiskies. It has always been a favourite haunt for those who enjoy the outdoors, while friendly staff and locals always make you welcome.
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I loved this place, quite simply. It was on recommendation of the fellow driving my bus (well, van) down from Cairn Gorm that afternoon, a fellow who lives in Newtonmore and initially suggested dining at the Aviemore Hotel (which I thought looked a bit meh) before his memory was jogged as we drove by the Old Bridge Inn back into town. I had walked by here before and thought it looked quite sweet, so was joyed to hear it enthusiastically recommended by someone. Especially after a bit of a disappointing meal the evening before in town at a different bar.

I strolled in confidently but was a little startled at the menu, which seemed like (based on the place's appearance) consisted of Scottish 'comfort food' - and on the drizzly day I popped in, had kind of hoped to tuck into a big bowl of stew or a pie or something - but ended up being 'foodie' food... scented this and puree of that and drizzle of the other. Anyhow, whatever, in I went anyhow. November is a bit of a slow season for this resort town, just before the winter snow brings in droves of skiiers and snowboarders, but it was pleasantly full in this super cozy little pub. Everyone was in one of the two rooms (I think), which had a big blazing fireplace in the corner and a varied pile of guests including families with kids, groups of twenty-something guys playing board games, young couples, and even an older couple with their two beautiful golden retrievers contentedly curled up under the table.

On the bar was a hilarious menu of their festive wintery drinks. I started on with rum-imbibed apple cider which was tasty and well priced and HOT. As well they had a 3 course special going on that I decided on as it was the closest to the meal I had hoped for. It was a beautiful soup, followed by a massive venison burger with lots of side dishes, and this vanilla pudding/graham cracker sculpture with a braised pear that I am still dreaming of. Seriously, this dessert was ... I don't even know. A thing of beauty!

Even though I was there by myself, I didn't feel out of sorts the way one sometimes does alone in a pub. The wait staff were all friendly, maybe a bit on small-town time, but that's nothing unexpected anywhere in the world. It just gave me more time to enjoy my book! The place drips with charm and welcoming - I would have loved to be here on a lie music night. Even the outside area was delightful with a piano and cushy sofas tucked under a small overhang. A couple picnic tables are across the road on the river - I am not sure if these belong to the pub or not. Lovely spot though - highly recommended!

1  Thank Shoogs80
Write a ReviewReviews (1,242)

Reviewed 14 December 2013

The Old Bridge was recommended and looked attractive. The menu was disappointing and we both struggled to choose a main course. The steaks chosen were excellent and of good quality but the veg consisted of three florets of cauliflower and two small pieces of beet root.
Left thinking that the menu was over priced for what is, basically, a good pub.

1  Thank Andrew K
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Friendly, warm and cosy. Good food and wifi available. prices a little higher than normal but once you taste the food you will realise why. Very good all round and close to easy outdoor persuits in Rothiemurchus estate.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

A wonderful example of a 'proper' pub located a short distance from the Main Street in aviemore. A wide range of beers on offer, real open fire and friendly staff. What more could one ask for?! Definitely one of the best pubs in the highlands

Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

Had a meal here last week, really enjoyed the food and it has a great atmosphere too. Think it was the best food that we ate while we were in Aviemore.