“Poor Value, Poor Service”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Old Bridge Inn

Old Bridge Inn
Ranked #6 of 61 Restaurants in Aviemore
Price range: US$12 - US$28
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Scottish, Gastropub
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, View, Kids, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Drinks, After-hours, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Old Bridge Inn, Aviemore, offers a roaring log fire and cheerful atmosphere along with excellent food and a fine selection of cask ales and malt whiskies. It has always been a favourite haunt for those who enjoy the outdoors, while friendly staff and locals always make you welcome.
Falkirk
“Poor Value, Poor Service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

Visited with my wife and son for my wifes birthday and for fathers day after several years of wanting to eat here from hearing of others raving about the food. Service was attentive to start, starters very good and quickly served even though we were handed the plates by the server not what I expect from a restaurant of the calibre they think they are!! Mains followed quickly after that, too quickly and very rushed. My wifes "fillet steak" or more like roast beef came cold and had to be sent back. I think the description on the menu describing it as a fillet is incorrect, it comes sliced and I would call it roast beef and for a price tag of £24, the portion size was very small. I had the hake which was full of HUGE bones which could have been dangerous if I had eaten one.

We were offered "deserts on the house" due to the problems with my wifes "fillet" by the server, only to find out when we got the bill it was only my wife who would receive a dessert on the house!!!!!

The service from this point on was disastorous, nobody came near us or asked us if everything was ok, I had to ask for another drink and when I got the bottle of beer it was warm as was the first one I was served. We noted other tables looking about for the non existant service. When we eventually got the bill and paid we were not asked if everything was ok, so my wife then had to tell them it was appaulling. Received an excuse of being short staffed but I told them quite frankly this was not my problem but of course it became mine. We were offered a free drink at the bar but I could not get out of the place quickly enough, I don't appreciate warm beer, lame food and lame excuses.

I do not mind paying good money for good food but when I am served poor standard food, with equally poor service and for a premium price I get very annoyed. To boot we left hungry!! Wont be back!!

• Visited June 2014
8 Thank Stuart0708
oldbridgeinn, Owner at Old Bridge Inn, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
I'm really sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your experience with us a few Sundays back.

There are several points in your review which we will be addressing with the staff and hope to ensure will not be repeated.

The restaurant business, like any, or like anything in life for that matter, can have its ups and downs. We would love to be 100% consistent, but in reality, we are not robots. As any restaurant will tell you, from time to time, things can go wrong.

An unexpected rush, tables being late which hold up service, staff not being at their best for any number of reasons, mechanical issues, supplier issues and any number of other things can adversely effect a customer's experience. When a seasonal business in a rural location is open for close to 100 hours per week, the demands on staff are quite high.

It seems on this occasion, some of our staff were not performing at their peak. For this we apologise, unreservedly.

It is now part of the fabric of this industry that the public are invited to critique our performance through various channels, not something that many other industries, or individuals, are exposed to in their daily work lives.

All we can ask is that those reading such critiques will take a variety of comments on board and come to their own opinions. If doing we hope people will see the overwhelming wweight of opinion supports what we try to do here.

Both the hake and our fillet of beef (if you scroll through some of the other reviews) are firm favorites with so many people. The fillet is a cut of meat from the cow, regardless of how it is presented (in this case, yes, it has been sliced, once cooked). I can assure you this dish is very much fillet of beef. The hake is incredibly popular too and does not generally have any bones in it. Of course, as with any fish dish, their is a small chance of bones.

Regardless, though, again I offer our apologies on behalf of all at The Old Bridge Inn, that you felt you did not receive good service and good value.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Best meal ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

Everything was amazing, the service was quick and friendly, the starters were the perfect size, the mains were cooked to perfection with flavour bursting from every mouthful. I had no room left for pudding but my partner ordered one and I couldn't resist trying it, it was like nothing else I have ever tasted! Delicious. We left the restaurant so pleased we found it as it really made the last night of our wee aviemore break special.

• Visited June 2014
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Always exceed expectations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

Food is amazing, potentially the best meals we have ever eaten (been here every hols for the last 3 yrs and never had a bad meal!) staff are friendly and accommodating and the atmosphere is friendly and relaxed - wear your best dress or your walking gear, is makes no difference - amazing place and can't wait to go again.

Visited June 2014
Hampton, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food, great ambience, magnificent beer and wine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

Recommended by my daughter, a local vet, this was the best meal we had in Scotland. Roast Fillet Steak, beautifully cooked tender and 'en point', a really good choice of menu and local beer - Cairngorm Brewery's "Trade Winds" on draught, it has a hint of elderflower. Lovely atmosphere, and great service. Can't wait for our next visit!

• Visited May 2014
Bradford, United Kingdom
“Gastropub - lives up to its reputation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

We recently had a meal at this restaurant as it was recommended by another restaurant (which is always a good sign!). You most definitely need to book. We booked about 3 weeks in advance and when we got to the restaurant people were being turned away. This was our first outing as a married couple so I'm so happy that it lived up to my expectations.

This is a little off the beaten track so unless you think you can walk into Aviemore (which is about 1 mile away) after a decent meal either get a taxi or drive, or even canoe...it's just off the river!

From outside, it looks like a little pub next to a bunkhouse. Do not let first impressions deceive you.

It was the best meal we have ever had in Aviemore. We visit Aviemore pretty much every year so that is quite an accolade.

The menu is very simple - 3 or 4 choices and the prices are rounded to the nearest pound. I like this because it said to me that they cared more about serving few, very good options rather than lots of second rate meals.

Water and bread is automatically brought to your table and I'm 99% sure it wasn't added to the bill (so assumed complementary).

I had the pork belly and my husband had the vegetable spaztle. Both meals were exceptional. We then both had the hazel tart to finish. Again exceptional.

There was also no rushing to pay the bill which was great. If somewhere is busy you kind of expect the bill to come with your dessert but that was not the case here. We were there for at least 30mins after we finished our meal.

We will definitely return.

• Visited May 2014