“Great Family Break” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Aviemore
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Great Family Break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

We stayed in the Highland Hotel Aviemore for a family break on 14th April for two days. We had a lovely time and staff were excellent. I telephoned prior to arriving with our room requests which were all fulfilled pleasantly and efficiently by the lady on reception. We were also looked after very well by Mariella in the cocktail lounge, who made us feel very welcome, and at home, with our little grandson aged 6 years. She also greeted us so warmly on our return from Landmark asking if we had enjoyed our day and said she would look forward to seeing us later. It is kind staff such as Mariella that make people want to return. Breakfast was very nice and the staff welcoming and pleasant. The pool area is also very good. There is lots for children to do at the hotel and our grandson enjoyed all the facilities. We have a very nice stay and will definitely return.

Room Tip: Our rooms were 2123 1nd 2125 which were quiet and a short walk to the pool and spa.
1 Thank Cas22_10
General M, General Manager at Highlands Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for the time taken to write a review.

I am delighted to hear that you had such a wonderful tmie on the resort.
Thank you for your wonderful words in regards to our staff - it is something that we work very hard on.
Please be assured that your comments have been passed on to the relevant departments.

We look forward to welcome you back again.

The General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

Stay for couple of nights with young family, room very spacious and immaculate, staff very pleasant & very helpful food great also. Plenty to do with kids.Took the kids swimming at complex kids loved the slide & wave machine, older kids had game of football while younger ones played in soft play. Will return great family break A+++++++

Room Tip: Adjoining rooms looking onto hotel reception
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
General M, General Manager at Highlands Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time taken to write a review on Trip Advisor.
I am delighted to hear that you had such a wonderful break with your family.
It is great that you had the chance to make use of all the leisure facilities and enjoyed them.
Thank you for all your wonderful comments - it is a joy to read.

We cannot wait to welcome you back again,

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

I had stayed at the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel previously in Feb and couldn't fault it. With this in mind, I decided to book the Aviemore Highland Hotel for my boyfriend's birthday, upon arriving I could identify that this would not be the same quality as the Crutherland as unbeknown to me there were building works being carried out. When arriving at the front desk we received an ok service but nothing compared to the warm welcome in the Crutherland, service could be a bit more personalised instead of a "one in one out" service. But on the upside they did let us check in early, as I had previously ensured this when booking with central reservations. We had quite a walk to our ground floor room and when walking though the corridors I was disappointed, the decor needs stripped along with the very worn carpets, the ceilings were also bare and had clearly just been taped and looked shoddy and unfinished. We had to go outside to enter another part of our room and this was all blocked from the car park with the building works. There were workman walking about which does not give a seamless experience. In my personal opinion to ensure the same standard of service is given at all times this part of the hotel should have been shut off as this could compensate customer loyalty. I would say that the cleaners were very friendly and even offered to help us with our stuff. When we got to our room I was surprised to discover how small our room was, compared to our other Macdonald stay. The bedroom could have done with some re-decorating as there were marks on the walls and the curtains looked very out of date. The bathroom was very nice however very small and did not come with a bath! The overall cleanliness was good but when we opened the window, the frame could have done with cleaning as there were loads of cobwebs. When we looked out the window the view was bad- building works and rubbish lying about. The room did not ooze the same luxurious feel as with the other hotel, little touches like a bottle of water in the room could have been added. The sofa looked like something from the 80s and there was a severe lack of sockets. I would however say the facilities of the hotel were to a good standard. I would highlight that this hotel is more suited to families though. We received a deal when booking for £20pp for dinner in the Aspects, we paid extra for the selection of breads but again was disappointed when we received one tiny slice cut in half. Portions were small and found it funny how I got one tiny slice of carrot with my meal but it was value for money. The waiters and waitresses were very pleasant and I think some would be better on front of house due to their excellent customer service. I felt the vibes that the Aspects manager was giving some of them a hard time. I further feel that the bar cocktail menu could be extended as there is a poor selection that may not appeal to everyone. When having breakfast I was shocked that it wasn't table service like the other Macdonald hotels, but it still tasted good! The egg chef was lovely and took was the only staff member that took interest in what their customer's were up to on their stay. Overall, I feel this hotels tarnishes the Macdonald brand, and it feels like they are just trying to fit as many people in with service being compensated, it should be stated when booking about the building works and an option should be given.

• Stayed April 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear kimflo97

Thank you for taking the time and effort to write a review and share your resort experience with us.
I am sorry to hear that you were left feeling dissapointed with your stay - here at the resort we always aim for the highest possible guest service and take it seriously if guests leave feeling this was not the case.
I am sorry that you were unhappy with the room you were allocated - I do wish you would have informed us of your dissapointent in order for us to find you a room that would have been more accommodating for your stay.
I appreciate your feedback regarding the front of house staff - please rest assured that your comments have been passed on to the relevant deparment.

I am happy you had time to make use of the leisure facilities that we offer on site and enjoyed them - and thank you for your kind words regarding the staff in the restaurant, your wonderful words have been passed on.

We hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back - in that case please do not hesitate to contact us beforehand to ensure there will not be any dissapointment.

Biggar, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

I am elite member of the MacDonald Hotels group loyalty programme and have stayed in many MacDonald hotels; this was my first trip to the 4* Highland Hotels in Aviemore.

There was construction going on at this hotel and this caused some issues with car parking and general access. On arrival we were acknowledged as a member of the loyalty scheme but I would not say the staff made us very exceptionally welcome.

I did receive a good overview of the hotel resort facilities at check-in and this was appreciated. The Highland hotel spans two blocks of accommodation which were connected by external doors under a covered archway. We had a lot of luggage and were not offered any assistance despite the distance and multiple levels of the accommodation. I would have expected a 4* hotel to have at least offered to help.

We were lucky enough to get two refurbished rooms however the rooms were a lot smaller than I am used to at MacDonald Hotels and one of the rooms (the double assigned to myself and my girlfriend) had no bath and only a shower. Furthermore it was a tiny bathroom with insufficient storage space for toiletries and even the bath towels had to be stored in the room's wardrobe due to the size of the bathroom. This was a disappointment.

The twin room I booked (adjacent to mine) did have a bath and shower so at least there was one bath available for my party of four staying at this hotel and the beds were exceptionally comfortable.

The breakfast was buffet style which surprised me. I am used to a "cook to order breakfast" at most MacDonald hotels. To be fair the size of the resort probably makes this impractical but it did take the edge off the fantastic breakfast ingredients that MacDonald hotels use.

The construction was very disruptive on Monday morning with drilling and hammering overhead, some of which started before 9am. No chance of a lie in but on the positive side - no need for an alarm clock! I am told that all the construction should be complete in two more weeks.

All other aspects of the resort were mainly positive. We dined at the Italian restaurant onsite which was decent but a little pricey and then again at the Steak restaurant which is over a mile away. The leisure facilities were good and we made use of the pool and games hall for badminton. Please note that the games hall is over a mile away from this hotel so you need to travel by car. The games hall is £10 per hour to book which is expensive when compared to most council run leisure facilities.

The hotel did provide a shuttle bus which allowed us to dine at the Steak Club restaurant and enjoy a bottle of wine without taking the car. We really appreciated this service.

In summary, due to the size of this resort it lacks that personal touch that I have enjoyed at many other MacDonald hotels. Clearly the resort is designed to accommodate large numbers of people, probably with a view to snowsports or hill walkers. Despite my somewhat detailed review which may seem fussy to some, the experience at the hotel overall was OK.

Again, ensure you get a refurbished room. If your partner likes a bath as well as a shower, don't take it for granted that your room will have both. Also watch out fro the construction work over the next few weeks. You will be treated with respect but don't expect to be bowled over with high end customer service.

All in all, I will return and it will be easier now I know what to watch out for.

Room Tip: Ask for refurbished room and if you like a bath and shower then validate this at check-in. Room 224...
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and effort to write a review and share your detailed resort experience with us. Guest comments are very important to us - and I would like to thank you for the contructive feedback given in order for us to improve our service and facilities on the resort.
I apologise for the inconvenience you were caused, due to the upgrading and improvement currently going on at the hotel.
I am sorry to hear that you were left feeling dissapointed with being assigned a room without a bath - I do wish you would have mentioned that to us while you were staying for us to see if any rooms with baths were availalbe to make your stay more accommodating.

I am delighted that you had the time to make use of the leisure facilities offered and enjoyed them.

We look forward to welcome you back again, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

Used this hotel as a base for some biking up around Sutherland. £80 for a twin room bed and breakfast is a pretty good deal, although they were originally going to charge over £100 until I mentioned the deal I'd seen on the internet. Room was clean and quiet. The staff were very helpful and the buffet breakfast was excellent. Been here before and no doubt I'll be back again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your resort experience.
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the resort and facilities on onsite accommodating.
Thank you for your kind words regarding breakfast - it is something that our guests always tend to enjoy.

We look forward to welcome you back again,

Glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights mid week a couple of weeks ago. We really enjoyed the stay, while we were here we had a couple of days skiing. The hotel is lovely and very well positioned in Aviemore. The bed is one of the comfiest I've slept on and the room is nice and spacious, we were on the ground floor. There was some refurbishment works being carried out while we were there, although this didn't impact on our stay.
Our first night we decided to eat in the main restaurant, we didn't prebook a table (it is recommended to prebook), we were told there would be a wait of 45 minutes, which was no problem as we then had a drink in the bar. The food was really tasty, service was very good. If you fancy more of a casual experience there is also a different menu that you can eat in the bar.
Breakfast is buffet style in the main restaurant, food was cooked to perfection. For our last morning we decided to have room service, there is a tray charge of £5, you can choose what you would like from a selected menu you then hang on the door before bed, if you are wanting a more of certain items it would be better to go for breakfast in the restaurant as for instance you only get one sausage, egg etc. but in saying that, the breakfast amount was enough to fill us up.
Overall, I would definitely stay here again, we really enjoyed our stay.
If you choose to stay here, you won't be disappointed with this fabulous MacDonald hotel.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to read your review and hear that you had such a wonderful time whilst staying with us.
Thank you for all your lovely comments - it is a joy to read and we cannot wait to welcome you back to the resort in the near future.
Please note that all you wonderful feedback has been passed on to the relevant departments.

Lancaster, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

We used the Macdonald Highlands Hotel as a base on a recent 2 day skiing trip to Cairn Gorm ski area and found it to be perfectly adequate. As other reviewers have said the hotel is undergoing refurbishment at the moment but it caused us no inconvenience or annoyance whatsoever. Yes there was plastic on some of the carpets on the stairway and yes we did see workmen knocking about, but so what? Our room had not been refurbished yet as evidenced by the yucky decor but everything was clean and in order, and the daily visits from housekeeping left nothing to be desired. All the staff were very friendly including housekeeping, reception and dining room staff.The breakfast was excellent... good food and efficient, friendly service. Do be warned there is a dress code at Aspects restaurant in the evening which meant we had to give it a miss as we neglected to bring anything other than casual attire.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room when booking in the near future.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time taken to write a review.
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the resort accommodating.
Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff - that is something that we work very hard on here at the resort.

We look forward to welcome you back again,