We decided to go for a last minute weekend break here taking our grandson who is only 4. The room was spacious and very nice but had no mini bar and no safe. The food in the Aspects restaurant was excellent both at dinner and breakfast and the service was first class but not intrusive.
The second night we had dinner in the Italian and once again the food was very good, but the service was dire. We had booked for 8 pm but my grandson was tired and my wife called reservations to ask that we move the time to 7.30, she was told that this was not possible as the restaurant was fully booked. We went just before 8.00 to find only 14 people in the restaurant and we were the last ones to come in that night. We ordered garlic bread which never arrived and they gave both my wife and I the wrong main course. Having said that the food was great and the portions were huge.
They advertise a gym but we found out on arrival that it had been shut for 6 weeks, with no mention of this on the website or when telephoning. This was a disappointment to say the least. To rub salt in to the wound on checking out we were asked if we had used the alternative gym which you could get a lift to. Why no mention of this on checking in?
They have a lovely spacious pool with a flume for kids. However, it appears that the flume is only open between 1100 and 1600, the very time when families are out for the day. We were in the pool three times and it was never open. They told us it was due to a lack of staff but on the Monday morning there were three staff in the pool are all talking together, but they still would not open the flume. My grandson was distraught as he wanted nothing more than to try it out.
Not sure what is going on in the hotel, but they advertise both fishing and a dry ski slope, but both are shut. All in all this did not work for us and we were a bit disappointed. It appears that the gym will be closed for a total of at least 10 weeks, why so long? The complex is in a great location but there are better around. Next time will probably try the nearby Hilton.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Relax in style and complete comfort at the 4-star Macdonald Highlands Hotel. With 151 luxury rooms-with-a-view and its own signature restaurant, Aspects, boasting spectacular views of the Cairngorm Mountains, the Highlands Hotel is ideal for discerning business and leisure travellers. For relaxation there's direct access to Aviemore Activity Centre, a TV lounge with comfy sofas and a DVD player, and the cozy Laggan whisky bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, LateRooms, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Macdonald Highlands Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Highlands Aviemore
- Macdonald Highlands Hotel At Macdonald Aviemore Resort Scotland
- Hotel Macdonald Highlands