“Aspects Restaurant ups it's game”

Macdonald Highlands Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Aviemore
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I have regularly stayed at the MacDonald Highland Hotel in Aviemore, and have always enjoyed dining in the Aspects restaurant. On my last two visits the bar has been raised even higher.

The whole experience can now be truly be classed as "Fine Dining".

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
General M, Manager at Macdonald Highlands Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave a positive review on trip advisor.

I am pleased to hear that all our hard work has paid off and you have noticed a difference.

All the staff and management look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Having a timeshare with Macdonalds at Dalfaber I have developed a love for Aviemore, and so decided to book a night away with my partner.
Having stayed in the Academy before and being slightly dissapointed in the building as a whole I was interested to see the condition of the Highland Hotel...and what a contrast!
We had a double room on the ground floor and although the view was not great we were able to make up for this by going a drive in the car to see the proper scenery!
The room was very well presented, clean, tidy and comfortable!
The hotel staff at the main reception were very friendly and welcoming (I jad intended to write a letter of positivities at the time but completely forgot)!
having had a bad experience before, we chose not to eat at the in-house restaurants so wont make any comments on these!
my only complaint were that there is no option for a slightly later checkout time.
We enjoyed ourselves so much that we intend to book for a full weekend in the coming weeks and look forward to spending time here again!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
General M, Manager at Macdonald Highlands Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on trip advisor.

I am pleased to hear that you were impressed with the newly refurbished Highlands Hotel. The Academy and the Inn will close in January and reopen in April as four star hotels with similar standards to the Highlands.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Easy enough to find, room was nice and spacious. Four year old son loved the swimming pool and the activity centre.
Breakfast was excellent, as was the food in the Italian restaurant, though quite busy.
Only a few minor attention to details ie no cutlery on the table, water and glasses not replenished in the room, but all the staff were really pleasant and extremely helpful.
Need more car parking spaces.

Room Tip: Back of the hotel, nice and quiet
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review on trip advisor.

I am pleased to read that your son enjoyed the children's activity centre. The new activity centre is a great addition to the resort. This week all the children have been enjoying a fairy tale theme in the supervised play areas.

I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort in the near future.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

We stayed here for two nights in July. We had originally booked in to the Academy hotel but were offered an upgrade for the Highland. The hotels are all in a resort area so it can be quite confusing when checking in. Check in is at 4pm but we arrived early the front of house team were on the ball getting house keeping to hurry our room up.
Id booked a spa treatment and was really looking forward to it. The spa have their own desk just at the highland reception area, lovely comfy sofas to sit on. My therapist was on time and lead me to the treatment room which to my surprise was a hotel room made in to a "spa room". Although nicely set out it felt like a make shift room, i thought the spa area would of been a designated area. You could hear people in other rooms walking about and talking.I have booked in for a back massage and facial which was £55 and took 55 mins. I was given a consultation card to fill out but unsure if it was read as my massage was not the pressure id asked for (light) and i felt tender a few days later. Maybe it would be an idea for the therapists to ask how the pressure is some time in to the massage, everyones idea of pressure is different and it can be awkward saying as you've never met before. During the facial it may also be an idea to offer a mini head massage or hand massage. I was aware of my therapist sitting waiting on the time going in for the mask to be taken off. its quite awkward.
My therapist who didn't introduce her self at the beginning so I'm unsure of her name yawned the whole way through the 55mins, i counted to 10 yawns and lost count after that. If I'm honest this completely ruined my whole experience as i could feel myself getting angry!

Our room- 2225 was lovely. The hotel has undergone a refurb and everything was absolutely spotless! The rooms are conjoining rooms so great for families. Gorgeous fabrics and we loved the curtains! We found the room to be noisy, we could hear everything coming from the room next to us.
We did got to two restaurants on site when we were staying- the Italian which we didn't not rate at all and ended up with upset tummies. The puddings were the worst puddings we've ever had.
The Steak club however was lovely. Our server Alisa McGowan (i hope I've picked her name up right) was absolutely fantastic! what a cheery, bubbly member of staff to have on the team. We thought she was great! We loved the idea of the pudding shots! wish every restaurant had that could have a bit of everything! Prices were good but people with families of 4 or more we thought would find it extremely expensive. The breakfast included in our room rate and was AMAZING! there was EVERYTHING and everything was of high quality. absolutely fantastic!

The resort has 2 swimming pools, one looked huge with flumes for the kids. i used the gym which had top machines and free weights. really good.

On checking out we told reception about the issues we had experienced and were asked to take a seat and speak to a lady called Lindsey who is going to deal with everything. This is truly the first time we have ever complained after staying in a hotel, we hate complaining and feel we are easily pleased. We hope our issues can be used in a constructive manner.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to speak to me on departure during your stay. As I said we really appreciate all feedback good and bad as it allows us to monitor our operation and make changes where necessary. The issues we discussed have certainly been used constructively and have been discussed in depths by all departments concerned.

On your next visit please contact myself directly on Lindsey.randall@macdonald-hotels.co.uk and I will personally deal with your reservation.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

We had one night in this hotel. We got a large comfortable room, very clean, quiet, great and extensive breakfast, nice location (walking distance to the center of Aviemore), nice staff, ... one of the best hotels we stayed in during our trip.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on trip advisor.

I am pleased to read that we were one of the best hotels you stayed in during your trip.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Resort in the near future.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

An excellent Hotel in a gorgeous area.Everything was offered in abundance.Excellent accommodation, food, swimming pool area. The breakfast offered was really rich and the restaurant staff very gentle and helpful. An excellent Hotel to stay in Aviemore.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to post a positive review on trip advisor and choosing to stay at the Macdonald Aviemore Resort.

It is encouraging to read the positive comments on the resort. We are extremely passionate about the high levels of service we deliver and our continued approach to offering the finest ingredients in out menus. It is down to the dedication and commitment of all the team members to ensure that we deliver this.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the resort in the near future.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We had one night only here in May but it was a beautiful room but it was a small pity it overlooked the car park and entrance and below the window they were doing laundry and deliveries etc, staff were very friendly and there were lots of amenities within the complex. We also had a meal in the restaurant and found it very good value although we were fed very fast the food was great. would definitely look at this for another stay in the future.

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms overlooking the car park as it can get noisy as people enter and leave.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Martin W
General M, Manager at Macdonald Highlands Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Thank you for your positive review on trip advisor.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the food within the resort. We have a number of restaurants in the resort from Italian to Steak.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Operations Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Aviemore
Hilton Coylumbridge Hotel
Dalrachney Lodge Hotel
Dalrachney Lodge Hotel
#1 of 3 in Carrbridge
Best Western Inverness Palace Hotel & Spa

Been to Macdonald Highlands Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort? Share your experiences!