Macdonald Highlands Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort
Hotels.com
Fairwinds Hotel(Carrbridge)
US$139
Hotels.com
The Boat Hotel(Boat of Garten)
US$139
  • Pool
Cairngorm Hotel(Aviemore)
US$171
Carrbridge Hotel(Carrbridge)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Restaurant
All reviewsaspects restaurantexecutive roomswimming poolleisure centreaviemore resortbuffet breakfaststeam room and saunamain receptionitalian restaurantweekend breakstayed here for two nightstea and coffeespey valleydb benjoyable stayplay areatwo night stay
Reviewed 11 August 2014

This complex is amazing. The area is breathtaking with scenic views everywhere you look. It sounds silly, but I really enjoyed looking out the window early in the morning to see some of the wild bunnies hopping around. It was so peaceful and lushly green. The rooms and bathrooms are not huge, but were clean and neat. DO follow the hotel recommendation to close the bathroom door when showering as the hotel has a state of the art fire alarm system which does go off if too much steam is allowed to flow into the bedroom area. The lavish breakfast buffet was terrific and the waiters and waitresses as well as the Maitre D were very friendly and helpful. For those who enjoy walking around the area, there is a very nice little "village" area with shops and such just down the hill.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
General M, Manager at Macdonald Highlands Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Thank you for your review on trip advisor.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay on the Resort. The scenery truly is wonderful here. The views from Craigellachie at the back of the Resort are amazing.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed here for two nights on a recent trip through the Highlands and had a great time for our group. The kids loved the pool, and the play structure near the pool was top notch. I don't think there should be an extra charge for that, but we still loved it. Parents, don't be afraid to climb up there with your kids! Our only complaint would be the Giovanni restaurant. The staff seemed to have trouble with the new reservation system, and then our meal was fairly disappointing. The lasagna was not well prepared, the bolognese was a little boring, the waitstaff were inattentive, and I didn't realize until later that they charged my daughter's half portion of buttered noodles as a full-sized adult pasta entree. We enjoyed our stay here, but I probably wouldn't try eating at this onsite restaurant again. (My disappointment with the restaurant staff does not extend to the hotel staff we encountered. They were wonderful!)

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review on trip advisor.

I am pleased to hear the children all enjoyed the new children's activities centre. The new supervised play is a fantastic addition to the resort.

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your dining experience in Giovanni's. I have passed your comments onto the Manager and he will certainly investigate further with the staff.
We have a number of restaurants onsite so on your next visit please try Aspects or the Scottish Steak Club.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the resort in the near future.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

I have regularly stayed at the MacDonald Highland Hotel in Aviemore, and have always enjoyed dining in the Aspects restaurant. On my last two visits the bar has been raised even higher.

The whole experience can now be truly be classed as "Fine Dining".

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to leave a positive review on trip advisor.

I am pleased to hear that all our hard work has paid off and you have noticed a difference.

All the staff and management look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Having a timeshare with Macdonalds at Dalfaber I have developed a love for Aviemore, and so decided to book a night away with my partner.
Having stayed in the Academy before and being slightly dissapointed in the building as a whole I was interested to see the condition of the Highland Hotel...and what a contrast!
We had a double room on the ground floor and although the view was not great we were able to make up for this by going a drive in the car to see the proper scenery!
The room was very well presented, clean, tidy and comfortable!
The hotel staff at the main reception were very friendly and welcoming (I jad intended to write a letter of positivities at the time but completely forgot)!
having had a bad experience before, we chose not to eat at the in-house restaurants so wont make any comments on these!
my only complaint were that there is no option for a slightly later checkout time.
We enjoyed ourselves so much that we intend to book for a full weekend in the coming weeks and look forward to spending time here again!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
General M, Manager at Macdonald Highlands Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on trip advisor.

I am pleased to hear that you were impressed with the newly refurbished Highlands Hotel. The Academy and the Inn will close in January and reopen in April as four star hotels with similar standards to the Highlands.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Easy enough to find, room was nice and spacious. Four year old son loved the swimming pool and the activity centre.
Breakfast was excellent, as was the food in the Italian restaurant, though quite busy.
Only a few minor attention to details ie no cutlery on the table, water and glasses not replenished in the room, but all the staff were really pleasant and extremely helpful.
Need more car parking spaces.

Room Tip: Back of the hotel, nice and quiet
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review on trip advisor.

I am pleased to read that your son enjoyed the children's activity centre. The new activity centre is a great addition to the resort. This week all the children have been enjoying a fairy tale theme in the supervised play areas.

I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort in the near future.